The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just acquired a 1993 Town and Country 3 door with 160K original miles on it. Got the first trade in title from 1995.

Many years ago, I drove plenty of Chrysler minivans. None of them anywhere near as nice as this one.
We also own a 2014 Town and Country. Thinking of a car show - "that was then, this is now".

This is my first toy since my two frame up Bricklins.

It shows its age a little. Hood needs paint, stereo speaker switch is unstable. the old cell phone kit causes speaker issues, passenger seat needs a refresh. Needs a drivers side power window motor. Dorman had one. Replaced the drivers side power window switch already.
AC is a bit under performing, but as I remember they all were? windshield wipers were in pieces. Just got that all repaired. power steering was leaking, but Lucas stop leak straightened that out. Needs a water pump. Put new tires on it.
It has the digital dash - and it all works except door open, which I think is because of those cheap pin switches they used in the door jambs.

The ride is not bad. It may need new shocks. Brakes have that old dodge neon feel to them, but the difference between the brakes on the 1993 and 2014 are pretty radically different.

This one is not the AWD version. Thinking about possibly adding the AWD if I can find the parts. Wondering that that rear axle had discs on it? If not may just do a brake upgrade on all 4 wheels. Maybe add 17s - not in love with the factory wheels.

Don't want to do much else to it - yet. Just drive it.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
AC is likely leaking or your blend doors aren't working properly. Both my 92 and my 94 will freeze you out of them.

Chances are it needs brake parts, hoses especially as they are notorious for degrading internally leading to brake drag. This drag heats the brakes and makes them feel spongey.

I would honestly go through the brake system and the suspension and just replace/fix everything. Then you know what you have and what you're dealing with. Parts are cheap and they're stupid simple to work on.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
753 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LXi AWD
209 Posts
The gen 2 AWD rear axles had drums (switched to discs with gen 3). I'm not sure if anyone else has converted a FWD gen 2 to AWD but there is a thread over in the gen 3 forum documenting a FWD to AWD conversion of a 97 Grand Voyager and you might find it helpful. The Gen 3s had the same basic system as the 2s if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
95 Posts
DAMN! That thing is sexy. I have a 1993 SE caravan that was my wife mother and passed on down to her. Really are great vehicles if you keep me away from them ... I am now replacing the motor :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts