The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently posted about some issues I was having after having a waterpump and serp belt replaced a couple weeks ago.

Fast forward- I was driving my 2011 T&C (80kmi) yesterday when suddenly I started hearing whining noises. The longer I drove the louder it got. Whenever I stopped at a red light and would start to go, the RPM's would shoot up, I'd have some hesitation and then I would start to move. Same thing would happen when going in reverse. Check engine light came on shortly after.

Brought it in, trans shop said he got a few codes but didn't tell me exactly what they were. Based on what he said my guess is P0944 (Hydraulic Pressure Unit Loss of Pressure) is one of them. He told me he thinks something is clogging the filter and he's thinking it's likely a new trans. I called him back today and asked more questions and he told me that if he drops the pan, he would get a better idea, he could probably change the filter and it could buy me some time. He also mentioned if there is nothing in the pan, it's likely electrical. WHAT THE ****?!

When it comes to the trans, We're talking a difference of $2,200 for a rebuild and $100 for a filter here. I have ZERO knowledge on any of this so this sounds really confusing. Would I really need a new trans if the filter is bad? I can tell you that when I look up the "symptoms" of a clogged filter, that's EXACTLY what I was experiencing. But, why did that happen so suddenly? Could it have anything to do with the repairs I just had done? Just seems so close to having other work that it's a bit concerning. DIdn't have any issues like this prior to the other work. Also, if it is a new trans, is it worth it to have it done? Looking for some advice or questions to ask- not trying to get fed a line!

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
385 Posts
Well I can tell you this if in fact the filter is clogged for any reason you're on for a rebuild . No butts about it .

Like said a new filter and flush MIGHT buy you a few more miles . But it's inevitable a rebuild is in the very near future

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I can tell you this if in fact the filter is clogged for any reason you're on for a rebuild . No butts about it .

Like said a new filter and flush MIGHT buy you a few more miles . But it's inevitable a rebuild is in the very near future
Yikes.
Is a rebuild worth it?

·
Registered
469 Posts
How long have you owned this vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
The filter should last the life of the transmission unless there's something destructive going on in the transmission that's filling it. So, a pan drop and fluid filter change is exploratory but beneficial if nothing is found there. Whining sound is concerning though. Fluid level ok?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The filter should last the life of the transmission unless there's something destructive going on in the transmission that's filling it. So, a pan drop and fluid filter change is exploratory but beneficial if nothing is found there. Whining sound is concerning though. Fluid level ok?
Yes, fluid level is fine.
Do you suggest I have him drop the pan to see what's happening there? Everything I'm reading makes it seem like replacing the filter could solve the problem, makes this more confusing. If it is a rebuild, is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
As I've said time and time again fluid and filter exchange is a preventive maintenance processes . It will not fix or repair a problem. It's like changing the oil in an engine after a rod starts knocking .
If indeed the filter is restricted to the point where it causes problems there is a problem

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Yes, fluid level is fine.
Do you suggest I have him drop the pan to see what's happening there? Everything I'm reading makes it seem like replacing the filter could solve the problem, makes this more confusing. If it is a rebuild, is it worth it?
Gotta drop the pan to replace the filter.

Worth it? Yes, you have only 80,000 miles on the vehicle. What else is wrong with it?

Reactions: Sienile

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,676 Posts

Worth it? Yes, you have only 80,000 miles on the vehicle. What else is wrong with it?

I don't see how an 80,000 mile transmission can plug a filter unless something is badly wrong with that transmission.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I don't see how an 80,000 mile transmission can plug a filter unless something is badly wrong with that transmission.
Right I agree but you know sometimes you'll get that one out of a million.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

It's not just what's wrong with it now. It's what else is going to go wrong?
In the time I've had this van, it's spent way too much time in the shop. I've dropped well over 3k in repairs and maintenance in the past year and a half alone. (Oil housing, water pump, serp belt, brakes/rotors to name a few) less important things currently wrong is the tire pressure sensors and camera sensors.
My mechanic basically told me it's crap and to get rid of it.
I still owe on it, so it's not that simple. Not sure how I can get rid of it with a trans issues. I just don't want to drop another 2k on a new transmission to still have issues. Trans shop told me to think about it and call them today. Honestly, not sure what to do with it at this point. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
The replaced parts should last a long time, makes the vehicle more valuable.

Why does your Mechanic think it's crap? Doesn't he like Chrysler products? Doesn't he like his own work? Mechanics are some times full of BS, take what they say with a grain of salt.

What's he suggesting you get? What will you buy? Somebody else's used vehicle? Has the van been well cared for? Is corrosion a consideration? Doesn't sound like you drive that much Sounds like the vehicle has a lot of options. Lack of use and lots of electronics to go wrong can be a negative.

Might want to get a second opinion from another Mechanic? Have him do a thorough inspection of the vehicle.

A bunch of pictures would help us assess it.

Better the devil you know than the one you don't, when it comes to used vehicles. It' a crap shoot.

2010 and 2011 were not the best years for the Dodge Grand Caravan per Dodge Grand Caravan Problems
For the T&C: Chrysler Town & Country Problems

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's not just what's wrong with it now. It's what else is going to go wrong?
In the time I've had this van, it's spent way too much time in the shop. I've dropped well over 3k in repairs and maintenance in the past year and a half alone. (Oil housing, water pump, serp belt, brakes/rotors to name a few) less important things currently wrong is the tire pressure sensors and camera sensors.
My mechanic basically told me it's crap and to get rid of it.
I still owe on it, so it's not that simple. Not sure how I can get rid of it with a trans issues. I just don't want to drop another 2k on a new transmission to still have issues. Trans shop told me to think about it and call them today. Honestly, not sure what to do with it at this point. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.
If it makes you feel any better, my transmission failed at 60k miles. It is a 2016 SXT.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
520 Posts
Is your van covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty? Our 09 GC is covered, the only stipulation being a dealer inspection every 5 years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The replaced parts should last a long time, makes the vehicle more valuable.

Why does your Mechanic think it's crap? Doesn't he like Chrysler products? Doesn't he like his own work? Mechanics are some times full of BS, take what they say with a grain of salt.

What's he suggesting you get? What will you buy? Somebody else's used vehicle? Has the van been well cared for? Is corrosion a consideration? Doesn't sound like you drive that much Sounds like the vehicle has a lot of options. Lack of use and lots of electronics to go wrong can be a negative.

Might want to get a second opinion from another Mechanic? Have him do a thorough inspection of the vehicle.

A bunch of pictures would help us assess it.

Better the devil you know than the one you don't, when it comes to used vehicles. It' a crap shoot.

2010 and 2011 were not the best years for the Dodge Grand Caravan per Dodge Grand Caravan Problems
For the T&C: Chrysler Town & Country Problems
The trans guy didn't say anything, just says the way they are built isn't the greatest. My regular mechanic doesn't do trans work, he isn't a fan of Chrysler.

At this point, the trans guy is suggesting dropping the pan to see what's there and then going from there. Debating whether to proceed. Do you think that would help assess?

I don't drive it much. Maybe less than average but I do drive it daily. Quite honestly, I've been nervous to take it far because of what I've been dealing with the past yr or so, I'm afraid of it breaking down. lol

After I had the oil housing replaced is when the check engine light came on for the first time a year and a half ago. I got a P0740 code (Torque converter clutch solenoid). Took it to a different trans shop and he told me fluid was low, filled fluid, he drove it about 50 miles, and said it was fine. Light was off for about 9 months, came back on with the same code. Took it back, this time fluid was fine. Trans guy said just drive it and see what happens but thought a rebuild might be the only solution, no indications of anything wrong. Light went off on its own about 5 months ago. The water pump went out 3 weeks ago, busted the serp belt so had both replaced. Additionally, the rotors were rusted out, had those replaced. Now this issue pops up with different trans codes, he mentioned hydraulic pressure and something about prime. So here I am. Not sure what to do with this thing. I thought about taking it back to the other trans guy I went to, but not sure the car will make it and don't want to cause more damage. The more I drove it, the worse it got and pretty quickly. Trans shop it's at now has a good reputation and has been around about 50 years so maybe that's reassuring? I don't know. Just don't know what the best thing to do is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is your van covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty? Our 09 GC is covered, the only stipulation being a dealer inspection every 5 years.
Not that I know of. We didn't get any additional extended warranty when we purchased it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As I've said time and time again fluid and filter exchange is a preventive maintenance processes . It will not fix or repair a problem. It's like changing the oil in an engine after a rod starts knocking .
If indeed the filter is restricted to the point where it causes problems there is a problem
Based on the information I provided, would you recommend a rebuild? Get rid of? Have him assess further?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts