The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have chrysler voyager 3.3 1999 with a broken transmission Like so many these days moneys very hard tight i have just purchased a 99 transmission from Ebay $634 delivered always a wonder what you will end up with Is there anything i should do prior to removing old transmission and replacing with the second hand unit removed from a rear end crashed van i love the van and would like to keep it in great condition and for a long time advise would be greatly appreciated

Regards Davebarny

·
Registered
991 Posts
Frankly.......(maybe I'm getting old) pulling a front drive trans on the ground is not on my high point of things fun to do. IF you feel up to it, You'll want to make sure to completely flush the cooler(s) and lines. If you stop by a good shop there are prepared cans of flush that power flush the system. Make sure you hook the lines up the way you took them off (so flow stays correct), not a bad time to grab a new flex plate too.
It's otherwise an awful (imo) job but straightforward. After the "new" one is in fill with +4 and drive it after a couple hundred miles I would do another drain and fill with a new FACTORY filter and +4 again.

·
Super Moderator
26,902 Posts
Good advice from underthehood per usual. I sense a name like underthetransmission is not likely. :)

Installation of a Magnefine inline filter (or similar product) on the cooler return line is common and is part of the package with some Mopar and Ford remanufactured transmissions. Here's the location of the return line. For the A604/41TE, it's the front (one closest to the engine). Mark those cooler lines because they can get mixed up in a rush.

By the way, :hi2: davebarny and welcome to the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forum. We hope your experience here is a pleasant one. Following are some tips to help with giving / receiving information:

Signature / Site Use:
Including your vehicle information such as model, year, engine size and odometer reading, with your signature, will help tremendously with getting good feedback (less guesswork).
To thank a Poster for their feedback / information, click on the Thanks icon in their Post (bottom right). Most times, that button works, and the thanks will show up at the bottom of their Post, if not, come back later and try again.
If you think a Post is inappropriate and needs to be reported to the Moderators, check the icons in the upper right for "Report Post".
For the general breakdown of content for the site, click on http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/
For the rules of the road for the site click on http://www.chryslerminivan.net/legal.html
For FAQs regarding "General Forum Usage", "User Profile Features" (including private messaging) and "Reading and Posting Messages" click on FAQ in Menu or click on http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/faq.php

Library Information - General:
Your local Library subscribes to various data bases of information, some of those may be related to automobiles. Typically, using your Library card # and a Library password, you can access this information at home. It may be worthwhile checking with your local Library to see what they have available and how to access it from your home computer.

Library Information - ARRC:
This valuable source of information can be accessed as follows:
- Go to http://www.oplin.org/databases/proxy2/proxy.php?doCardCheck=1&txtCardNumber=123456789
- Go to the following Library from the drop down list and submit it.
Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
- Go to ALL EBSCOhost Databases and click on it.
- Go down to Auto Repair Reference Center (ARRC) and click on it.
- Submit your YEAR and take it from there.
Note: If info isn't there for your year / model, try another year or similar model.

Haynes Manual:
- inexpensive, about $30.00
- gives replacement / repair procedures
- gives maintenance schedules
- gives torque specifications
- gives fault codes
- gives information on regular maintenance
- gives information on tires
- gives information on body work
The manual is a worthwhile investment.

·
Banned
521 Posts
I'd much rather pull a minivan trans over a 4x4 dakota all day.

When I have time, I'll give you the tricks to do this job yourself. My Snap-on Modis certificatio class is starting soon.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'd much rather pull a minivan trans over a 4x4 dakota all day.

When I have time, I'll give you the tricks to do this job yourself. My Snap-on Modis certificatio class is starting soon.
Got me there me too :lol:
These days being semi-retired and not wanting to do these I have others that I refer work with like this who are very good and honest and do the same for me.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Hopefully, you're also getting the torque converter "with" the replacement tranny. You do NOT want to re-use your old torque converter. They tend to collect all the wear bits from the old one, and share these particles with your replacement, causing premature failure. The in-line filter is a good idea, anyway.

SEARCH the threads on this forum. There are many discussing tranny replacement / how to. :thumb:

Keep us informed.

AND, welcome to the Forum :ThumbsUp:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frankly.......(maybe I'm getting old) pulling a front drive trans on the ground is not on my high point of things fun to do. IF you feel up to it, You'll want to make sure to completely flush the cooler(s) and lines. If you stop by a good shop there are prepared cans of flush that power flush the system. Make sure you hook the lines up the way you took them off (so flow stays correct), not a bad time to grab a new flex plate too.
It's otherwise an awful (imo) job but straightforward. After the "new" one is in fill with +4 and drive it after a couple hundred miles I would do another drain and fill with a new FACTORY filter and +4 again.
Thanks again having reread the threads you have advised me already what to do next :ThumbsUp:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hopefully, you're also getting the torque converter "with" the replacement tranny. You do NOT want to re-use your old torque converter. They tend to collect all the wear bits from the old one, and share these particles with your replacement, causing premature failure. The in-line filter is a good idea, anyway.

SEARCH the threads on this forum. There are many discussing tranny replacement / how to. :thumb:

Keep us informed.

AND, welcome to the Forum :ThumbsUp:
u fogot to mention a rear main seal

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
u fogot to mention a rear main seal
Oooooops, you're right as usual GeorgeC. Do the rear main seal on the back side of the engine (facing the tranny). Also while the tranny is out, check the freeze plugs there for any discoloration/rust. Easier to do them, now, if they need it, than later. Replacing the hoses (not just tranny, but also heater hoses while you're there). The Haynes Manual will give you ALL the torque specs for putting everything back together. :thumb:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oooooops, you're right as usual GeorgeC. Do the rear main seal on the back side of the engine (facing the tranny). Also while the tranny is out, check the freeze plugs there for any discoloration/rust. Easier to do them, now, if they need it, than later. Replacing the hoses (not just tranny, but also heater hoses while you're there). The Haynes Manual will give you ALL the torque specs for putting everything back together. :thumb:
that about sums it up, oh and pull the ckp, crank position sensor before you slit the trammy from engine, you'll damage it otherwise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts