The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many posts out there, but hard to get something "real" out of it, but maybe someone here can point out the main issue? It all started out of the blue, turned the ignition on and the dash was like the one in this video:
Took the car to a dealer who connected a computer to the car and after an hour came back an "thought" it could be the turn signal arm, but he could not say for sure it was the problem. I payed and left, took me home somehow with wipers on, no turn signal, no ac -you name it....
After a lot of youtubing I started checking cables to the doors, found a broken wire on the right sliding door, after repairing that, half the electrical system came back, wooho. Still some instrument lights and head lamps are out, no heating in the back and none of the steering wheel controls are working along with head lamps and the sensors at the rear of the car. It seems impossible to find the problem since everything is connected and a "ground" issue crashes everything.
Taking the car back to the dealer who wants $150 just to connect the computer and then by the hour is not going to happen.
There is a video
that looks like a reasonable way to find the issue, but then again who has the schematics of a car laying around, I do have a Haynes repair manual but it doesn't help in this case.
So if anyone has been trough the same great axperience and solved it I'd be grateful for feedback. Finding a single wire in the car that could cause all this is a lot of work.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There is a thread that deals directly with this issue in the 5th gen area, but since the website has upgraded, I lost all my subscriptions and that was one I had marked. I'll dig around later and see. IIRC, the OP went to a junk yard and did research on a 5th gen on the lot. He traced out the whole wiring harness and then came up with a plan based on the harness. He found his problem - a pinched wired between the stow-n-go frames in the middle of the van.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There are two. I see had to look this up for someone else a while back too.

I just put a bookmark in place for these. I would recommend the same if you want to refer back to these. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you 97K15004WD for finding and sharing these posts, they're like a copy and paste of my own problem.
I will start with the sliding door again, this time looking under the panels since I already had one broken wire in the "plastic chain".

·
Registered
196 Posts
Many posts out there, but hard to get something "real" out of it, but maybe someone here can point out the main issue? It all started out of the blue, turned the ignition on and the dash was like the one in this video:
Took the car to a dealer who connected a computer to the car and after an hour came back an "thought" it could be the turn signal arm, but he could not say for sure it was the problem. I payed and left, took me home somehow with wipers on, no turn signal, no ac -you name it....
After a lot of youtubing I started checking cables to the doors, found a broken wire on the right sliding door, after repairing that, half the electrical system came back, wooho. Still some instrument lights and head lamps are out, no heating in the back and none of the steering wheel controls are working along with head lamps and the sensors at the rear of the car. It seems impossible to find the problem since everything is connected and a "ground" issue crashes everything.
Taking the car back to the dealer who wants $150 just to connect the computer and then by the hour is not going to happen.
There is a video
that looks like a reasonable way to find the issue, but then again who has the schematics of a car laying around, I do have a Haynes repair manual but it doesn't help in this case.
So if anyone has been trough the same great axperience and solved it I'd be grateful for feedback. Finding a single wire in the car that could cause all this is a lot of work.
If you go look on eBay, you can buy digital versions of factory repair manuals for a few dollars. Yeah, they're pirated, but who cares at this point?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a video
There is a video
Hello,
I think this is what I've been looking for. My IPM / Fuse Box looks good, I looked underneath, no visible problems, so now I want to check all the grounds out of the box going to the frame and wherever. Any idea how I can get those diagrams that we see in the video showing the various ground locations? Looking around the van, I only found one and it looked OK. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts