The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone , I ran out of fuel, fuel gage was not correct, my son put in 2 gallon. I then filled it up, It stalled and won't start again. I had it towed home. Thinking it was a bad fuel pump or dirty filter, I replaced them both. The van will not crank or start. It has no security or chip key. I jump pump relay socket 30 & 87 on fuse/relay box and disconnected line catch the fuel into a bottle so it is working. I jump starter 87 & 30 the starter is very strong. I replaced the ignition switch, someone told me to, but still won't start. 3.3 v6 flex, 140k, no code reading on OBD2. Please help. Thank you for a reply.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Three things to make it run... Fuel, Spark, Compression

You say "no crank, no start"
so when you turn the key all the way, nothing happens??? that starter does not turn (cranking).
Is the battery dead?
You'll need to charge the battery or find someone willing to give a jumper start.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is 6 months old, I jumped with cables still no crank no start. Thanks for your reply.
I'm told to put on a remote starter switch and with ignition on to spray intake with starter fluid. Is this okay?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
For troubleshooting purpose, it may tell you a thing or two.

If you connect the remote starter button at the starter solenoid, and it gets the engine to crank, we learned that the starter(and solenoid) is good and something is disconnected to the starter.

If the ignition is -ON and it tries to start and run with the starter fluid, we know you have compression and spark.

But pumping that ether in and artificially running the engine on aerosol... it would probably be better to not do that a whole bunch.
Be careful

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
recap for clarity.

Everything was running fine until it ran dry of fuel.
Then, you put fuel and it would not start, and then you filled the tank and it still will not start.

Next the fuel pump and filter were changed, status the same

Then an ignition switch change out.

If the starting fluid get it to run momentarily, then lets suspect fuel delivery.
I'd test the fuel pressure at the injector rail next.
You could also listen to hear if your fuel injectors are clicking. Use a long screw driver held to an injector and listen while cranking with the ignition on.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,286 Posts
Battery is 6 months old, I jumped with cables still no crank no start. Thanks for your reply.
I'm told to put on a remote starter switch and with ignition on to spray intake with starter fluid. Is this okay?
Yes, it is ok, but not a remote starter yet.

Turn ignition on, then jump the starter relay and see if it fire the engine. If not, then do it again but this time spray some starter fluid (or gasoline) into the throttle body.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, update,
I turned key on and cranked engine with jumper, no start. I then tried starter fluid. It didn't start. I went and turned engaged the key it started up and ran for about 15 seconds then it shut off. Tried to start it again with the key it is no crank again. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
So we know you have ignition (sparks) and we know you have engine compression...
Fuel delivery (fuel pressure and flow) I know you have a pump recently installed and filter too.
AutoZone has a fuel pressure test kit at the store to borrow (cash or credit card deposit, refunded when you return kit)
Did you listed for the fuel injectors ticking away?

·
Registered
478 Posts
the not cranking consistently thing is freaking me out about this, might be worth investigating that more unless its alright now

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think AutoZone also has a noid light set, but if you can hear the injectors firing, then no need for lights.

What is your year, make, model? you posted :......3.3 v6 flex, 140k

·
Super Moderator
21,579 Posts
What was in the 2 gallon fill-up? diesel fuel?

"Will not crank" has nothing to do with fuel.

Did somebody dislodge a connection? at the starter? at the throttle body? any codes?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
the not cranking consistently thing is freaking me out about this, might be worth investigating that more unless its alright now
Yes, I have my concerns about this too. There seems to have been a bunch of shot gun parts changed. So who knows what we have here.

I figure lets get the engine running and see what is what from there. Along the way to get the engine running, the starter and fuel delivery faults may reveal themselves. Seeing as they have a working remote starter solution, I am not necessarily excited about the starter not working quite yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I couldn't hear injectors. 2003 T&C Mini-van. When I get $135 I'm going to rent a fuel pressure tester from Autozone and test the pressure. What should be amount of fuel pressure in line and rail? I will update what I find. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What was in the 2 gallon fill-up? diesel fuel?

"Will not crank" has nothing to do with fuel.

Did somebody dislodge a connection? at the starter? at the throttle body? any codes?
There is no codes reading on OBD2 scan tool. Starter is about 1 year old, I checked the connections they are tight, starter has never failed to start. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
What ManJeep said about the two gallons your son put in. That is worth looking asking into, especially if all this started just before that. Diesel would be a bad thing due to potential for detonation but I doubt it would be a flat no start situation. After the fill up / dillution I would expect it to cough and at least try to start.

How did you listen for the FI clicking? Remember the ignition needs to be on and cranking the engiine.
I have not read anything that would lead me to believe the FI system sustained damage but am more looking to remove that from the equation.

When you first turn the key to RUN, can you hear the fuel pump noise for a few seconds and then off?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Do you have a 3 or 4 foot length of 5/16" (or 1/4") fuel hose and a hose clamp?

On the passenger side of the vehicle, along the frame rail, you might disconnect the green squeeze clip and slide the fuel hose off. Then clamp your hose onto the hard steel line and collect some fuel to visually inspect for color, smell (use caution) water contamination and to time the flow / gallons per minute. How many seconds does it take to fill a soup can or milk jug?

I could put that pressure gauge set on that too.

Depending where you are and the disposition of your AutoZone manager, perhaps you could offer something else as collateral such as an iphone, infant child, or drivers license to borrow the pressure kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello, update
I did a pressure test on the fuel line and it reads about 60 psi.
I had to jumper the pump relay because the pump won't run with the key turned on.
I did swap the pump relay with the working wiper relay.
Thank you for a reply.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you jumper that relay to pressurize the fuel rail and with ignition on, crank the starter, does it run, cough, or seem like it is trying?

NOTE: these are tests to find a fault. I do not recommend that a 'hot wire' fix be driven.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you jumper that relay to pressurize the fuel rail and with ignition on, crank the starter, does it run, cough, or seem like it is trying?

NOTE: these are tests to find a fault. I do not recommend that a 'hot wire' fix be driven.
Hello, thanks for your reply.
I removed the pump relay and jumped 87 and 30 to make the fuel pump run. I turned the key on. I jumped the starter at relay to crank the engine and it would not start or cough. I took off the #2 plug wire and stuck a screw driver into it and held from spark plug about 1/8 inch. I cranked the engine there was no spark with key on. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
11 Participants
dereiddodge49
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing