The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a weird problem... I have a 2002 T&C LXI AWD 3.8L with NO EGR VALVE installed in it... is it even possible? I had a P0172 code that went away after a couple of days, but I still decided to go check the a few things under the hood just to be safe, and to my surprise, there was not EGR valve neither the tube that was supposed to go out of the engine to the valve... there some sort of "block off" plate closing the hole...

So, is this normal on these engines/models? I'm new to the whole minivan deal... just got this one less than 6 months ago after we had twins...(boy, these things are a life saber and fun to drive on the snow!!! :)

Any info is greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!!! :thumb:

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
How does the van run? I could be wrong, but I would think that if the EGR was flat out *gone*, the engine would definitely not be running right with indications other than a simple check engine light.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Depending on where the van was destined for original delivery, it could have no EGR if that states emissions regulations were lower than places like Illinois or California.

Your P code is for the system running too rich. This could be caused by a sensor malfunction or physical problem such as a vacuum leak. Was teh van having any driveability problems?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the van is driving like a charm.. the light went away after a good 65mph 30min. drive on the freeway... I'm not the first owner so I'm not sure where it was first purchased... I'll check for vacuum leaks and such.. thanks folks!!!

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Some have EGR and some do not. Original destination, as Andy said, is the key. My 03 has no EGR and I am so glad. I dislike the whole EGR thing in general.

I'd make a fair bet and say your non-EGR van will out run almost every EGR van there is.

As far as the light, go put some GOOD fuel in it and add a can of sea-foam in the tank (if you are a Sea-foam hater, I await your emails). Then take it out on the interstate and hold it to the floor for as long as you can. Really blow the soot out of it. See if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
24,778 Posts
No EGR valve on my 2002 3.3L either. The ports are blanked off. Lucky me. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
My 03 did not have an EGR, but my 05 does. Jeff, I'm curious to know why you say an engine without an EGR will outlive one with.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
My 03 did not have an EGR, but my 05 does. Jeff, I'm curious to know why you say an engine without an EGR will outlive one with.
Not out live, but they MAY out perform engines with EGR. I don't believe this very much as when the throttle is opened heavily, the EGR is closed thus acting like it is not there making both engines the same. I van acted no differently when I disconnected the EGR when the valve failed.

·
Super Moderator
24,778 Posts
Dirtier intake with the EGR valve on the 4th Generation, I think. 3rd Generation is a different setup.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My 2005 has the EGR. But of course, it is not working.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Yeah I didn't mean outlive, I meant out perform. I've driven 02 to 04's with a 3.8 and EGR and it seems my 03 without an EGR pulls harder at WOT. Then again I've driven 5th generations with a 3.8 that don't seem to be as strong as mine, and a couple that I believe is stronger. So it could be a 'not all engine's are created equal' thing.

And FWIW, Jeepman is correct. A non-EGR engine will put MUCH less carbon build-up on the throttle body and intake than a EGR engine will.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The unequal engine thing is known as a "factory freak" in the performance world.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts