The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have no heat in my minvan. The blower is on but the air is cool. Here is what I know.

1) Thermostat OK and fluid level OK. When engine warms up, You can feel top radiator hose get hot!
2) Heater core is wide open, I took hoses off and flushed it. No junk came out, it was much clearer than I expected.
3) It appears no water is flowing through the core. Bottom manifold supplies the core and it is Hot.
4) Top hose of heater core is not hot, I took out flow restrictor on the top hose and this is wide open too.
5) There must be a valve somewhere that control heater cooling flow through the heater core!

Any suggestions, where might a valve like this be located?

It is a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan.

Thank you,

·
Super Moderator
22,790 Posts
Coolant level in radiator is below the level of the heater inlet pipe. Try driving uphill, you may get heat then.

Better still, top up your radiator. If it is down you may want to add some Bars Stop Leak, in strict accordance with Bar's instructions, before filling it up.

Bar's Stop Leak: https://barsleaks.com/product/liquid-aluminum-cooling-system-stop-leak/

There are other products available but Bar's has been around for a long time, so they should "know a thing or two". :)

Note: There are no flow control valves in modern systems. That's yesterday's technology and heater cores/pipes tended to plug, or leak, due to being shut off. Think rear heat in vans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was it, problem solved. There is no valve. Instead there was not enough coolant to go through the heater core. I missed the obvious. I saw the reserve tank was low and I added coolant this morning but did not give it enough time to go into radiator.

I will just have to watch for leaks now and see where the slow leak is.

Thank you @Jeepman

·
Registered
99 Posts
Look for residue around the radiator cap. You probably won't see water there as it will dry quickly from the heat but it will leave behind a residue.
The cap is the most obvious as well as the easiest/cheapest to fix so I'd start there. Your van is about the age to need one and they're under $10.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts