The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Chrysler town and country van. Never had a problem with anything under hood. Last weekend my husband was going up a hill that was a little muddy and go it stuck. After getting it unstuck the reverse wouldn't work. It goes in drive and will drive forward without hesitation. When shifted into reverse it acts like it is in neutral and revs the engine but doesn't move at all. I want to change the transmission filter and replace oil. I don't think it's the transmission its self but I'm not a mechanic so I don't know, but I'm willing to try anything before replacing a transmission. Any suggestions?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,078 Posts

Replacing filter and fluids after the fact usually doesn't help, especially if it is working fine otherwise.

Good luck.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have a 2005 Chrysler town and country van. Never had a problem with anything under hood. Last weekend my husband was going up a hill that was a little muddy and go it stuck. After getting it unstuck the reverse wouldn't work. It goes in drive and will drive forward without hesitation. When shifted into reverse it acts like it is in neutral and revs the engine but doesn't move at all. I want to change the transmission filter and replace oil. I don't think it's the transmission its self but I'm not a mechanic so I don't know, but I'm willing to try anything before replacing a transmission. Any suggestions?
Check the wire-harness connectors to the transmission. Getting stuck could have jarred the connector. That's the first and easy thing that is free to do.

When the van was stuck in the muck, was it put in reverse at all to get it unstuck and the engine rev'ed high spinning the wheels? Chance are, the solenoid pack may have gotten damaged for the reverse. The electronically modulated converter clutch (EMCC) could go bad when working the van from getting stuck. This has paddle-valves, springs and coils to help control the fluid to pass. IF the paddle valve for reverse got damaged, the EMCC needs replacing. Best to have a 'reliable' and 'trusted' shop look at it. That's hard to find for transmission work. Most shops would give a FREE diagnostic. Though hard to find many to tell the truth of what the problem actually is.

IF you choose to replace the EMCC, it's under $200. And here is the simple way to change it. Also look at the connector located there. Wiggle it to see that it's secure. look at it to see if the wires are damaged to the EMCC.

There are 32 different TSB's on the Ultradrive transmission for the minivans. BUT in mid-2004, many of those issues are gone and engineered away. So, your 2005 should be solid without the need of a flash to the computer.

In a very rare instance, there is the reverse shaft where the spline teeth became stripped when shifting too fast from drive gears into reverse without the rpms going to about zero. these spline teeth will shear off smooth causing no reverse. It's been reported twice on repair fix sites. So, if rocking the van and un-jarring out of the mud, the reverse shaft could have been damaged too. That is big money to fix right there.

The over-drive and reverse shaft splines should look like this on the ends. Stripped smooth, they will not turn. Thus, no reverse.

So 3 things to check.
1. wire and connectors. Mainly free.
2. EMCC $
3. Damage to the reverse shaft splines $$$$$ or replacement 2005-2007 41TE (A604) transmission. https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/2212AA-90/10002/-1 Free Shipping (but core charge, you need to evaluate the $365 to ship you bad one to them. or eat the cost.)

ALSO, see if there are ANY OBD2 codes for the transmission. You can do the key dance or autozone to read the codes. P0700 thru P0765 are for the transmission. This would narrow down the trouble(s).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forums!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts