The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speedometer is not working until I get to 30 mph.

This is only the latest problem. Before that I had lights going on and off on the dash. The first one, I checked the code and it was for a loose gas cap (that goes on and off), there's also a seatbelt light though the seatbelt is attached, and it has been beeping now for a while everytime I open the front driver side door.

Then just a few day ago I noticed a slight lurch in first, then second gear, and then the speedometer thing just happened a couple of days ago.

From what I've read on here, it's probably an electrical thing, a sensor or the car computer maybe. Anyone have any suggestions as what's causing it or how serious this sounds. Can't get into a garage for another week.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Under the battery tray, I believe there is a central chassis grounding point (grounding spider). If you are up for it, remove the battery and then the battery tray. Check under there and if it looks corroded and rusty, clean that up. After you get it all back together, clean and bright, maybe put gob of grease on it.

Before you reconnect the battery, touch the positive and negative battery wires together. That should reset the computer and clear any codes.

Please return and let us know how that works for you.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Defective transmission output speed sensor, or associated wiring, will cause limp mode and no speedometer reading. Any work been done in that area recently? Been in a Shop? There's hunk of wiring there that they pull on sometimes.

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
3rd gen > all others
4,580 Posts
Check battery connections, ground connections, the connections of wire plugs to the bottom of the fuse box (it flips over with the battery out). Then check for AC ripple voltage in the charging system (a shorted diode will cause this, and result in all sorts of weird codes and problems that you can't diagnose).

·
Registered
973 Posts
Worth considering the usual electrical gremlin solutions as often discussed on this website. Here's one such reference:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts