The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Driver side Rear (Infinity) speaker's integrated-power-amp makes crackling noises regardless of audio source (radio or CD) even when volume is at zero and balance set all the way to opposite front speaker. To make sure it was the speaker and not the wiring, I swapped the driver side with the passenger side and confirmed the speaker unit itself is the problem.

With both black and green wires removed from the woofer but the power-amp connector still plugged into the harness, I hear the cracking in the separate tweeter that is also connected to the integrated-power-amp unit, so I presume the issue is with the removable but sealed power-amp-unit.

These are really low quality paper speakers not worth the $70 [used] replacement price I'm seeing on eBay. Paper speakers deteriorate over time especially in a vehicle. The power-amp unit is removable (2 screws) but I can't locate a replacement separately.

For the time being I'm operating with both rear speakers disconnected.

Any suggestions are welcome.:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm already looking up junkyards.

The problem is NOT with the speaker itself, the problem is with the integrated power-amp. The power amp needs to be repaired/replaced, not (necessarily) the speaker itself.

Chrysler uses very thin wires from the head unit to the integrated-amp(s). The integrated amp then amplifies the voltage to the Infinity speaker. See pics attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
These are really low quality paper speakers not worth the $70 [used] replacement price I'm seeing on eBay. Paper speakers deteriorate over time especially in a vehicle...
Best car speakers I ever had were 8 inch Bozaks with aluminum cones and coaxial tweeters. I had them in my VW Beetle, I built two separate speaker cabinets to fit in the rear luggage compartment and even had to cut the corners off each of the speaker cabinets to accomodate the curvature of the Beetle's interior!

John Kuthe...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts