The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes, to months ago I changed out all plugs and coil packs as well as valve cover gaskets.1 week ago driving through town started shuttering like it was losing spark, brought to shop did computer test got P0202 and P0302. Ok removed top of engine plenum switched coil pack from 6 to 2 switched spark plug from 6 to 2, check for bare wires..everything checks out put back together great runs good cold, then as it heats up #2 misfires again..thinking the injector.. fuel rail is hard to remove off the 04 T&C as I look at it..Ideas..:angry:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Man I just went through something like this with my 08 3.3 van. My celebratory ice cream from resolving it sits in my bowels as I type this.
Mine ended up being the injector which from RockAuto was $35. YMMV
I don't know your history with this problem or how mechanical you are so please forgive me if I go over basic things that you've done already but I want to be thorough and let you know how I SHOULD have diagnosed mine.

Start at the final piece of the puzzle: the injector. On mine it happened when it had been running and was still at operating temp. Since the problem was the injector the theory someone gave me was that there could have been just the smallest bit of garbage in the injector but while it's hot everything is still under pressure and so it caused it to misbehave. First things first you could try SeaFoam or some other fuel injector cleaner to wash it out. I suppose if that theory was correct you could even vent the fuel line to relieve the pressure, but the pressure thing is just a guess as to why it's acting up and the risk of fire and death is probably not worth the potential cost savings. But presumably you're an adult so it's your call

If cleaning it doesn't fix it, I would use a noid light rental tool from AutoZone to verify that the injector is firing. It's a set of lights that plugs into the injector's connector. Wait until its hot and is misfiring then quickly pull the plenum, then disconnect the connector from the suspect plug and put the Bosch test light on there. It should light up regularly as the engine cranks. Look up YouTube videos for what it should look like. If you don't disconnect spark while you do this you'll get some backfires from the other cylinders. Surprise!!

If it's lighting up over and over again regularly -- not staying on or flashing irregularly then the injector is the issue.
I didn't find it too hard to pull the rail out, there was a helpful YouTube video for that too. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_10BS_3Ze2w
THe biggest issue is cleaning the top of the intake manifold off so you don't accidentally drop gunk into the holes once you've pulled them out. And also I don't think there's a way to pull just one injector-- you get the whole rail or nothing.

If it's not lighting up, then you said you looked for bare wires but did you also test the two wires of the plug for continuity as you moved and jostled the wires? If you search "misfire injector" on this forum you'll see where other people have commonly found wiring issues.
If good continuity then the problem is deeper than on the harness or an injector and now you're looking at real hassles. I thank the Lord I have no experience with that yet so I have nothing to input about that.
Best wishes man. While waiting to resolve my issue I would pop the hood when I parked it somewhere to let the motor cool off and that mitigated the symptoms a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Piston rings leaking, hole in #2 piston, leak down test 60% should be 90% something about lower crank, not sure what..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts