The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a 2001 Grand Caravan 3.8L V6 AWD that I purchased used in March. A few months ago, I started to get seemingly random charging system indication lights with no codes getting set and lighting the MIL. However, I've been experiencing power dropouts under load (between 2 and 4K RPM) during acceleration. Eventually, the van lit the MIL and I was pleased to have codes to help me actually figure out what was going on. I am getting two codes, P0622 (Generator Field Not Switching Properly) and P1391 (Intermittent Loss of CMP/CKP). These two codes have always appeared together for me, so I'm thinking they might be related in some way. I can track the history on this van from the time of purchase until about 20K miles, and then a huge gap between 20K and 180K. I've been taking care of the engine properly, however that gap does make me wonder how it was maintained.

When the power drop outs occur, the tach will go from 3500 RPM to 1500 and then up and down and up and down until I take my foot off the gas and let it idle down and the I'm good again.

I've seen several posts regarding the P1391 code that speak of the flex plate. If that's what is is I may have to take it to the dealer to have it done... Don't look forward to spending that much to fix it... Any way to tell without dropping the engine/tranny?

I've also had a rubbing sound that comes from the belt side of the engine when it's running that gets a little louder under load, could that be related to any of my issues? It's been there ever since the belt was replaced in March...

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Have you done any electrical tests on the battery and alternator, and checked for loose/corroded connections and worn cables? If the battery and cables appear to be fine, then chances are good it's the alternator. Installing a new alt is a reasonable DIY for our vans, and there is lots of info here from folks who have done this job. If it comes to that, also spend half a day or so reading threads about the OAD pulley. Some of the reman alts don't use the OAD, and you will need to decide if you're up for the extra $$ for one that has it. You could also have your alt rebuilt and the OAD pulley replaced, if you know a good auto electric guy. Good luck with it!

·
Super Moderator
4,835 Posts
Take a good look at the wiring harness's around the rear valve cover/injector rail. You could the cam sensor and the alt field wires running the the same harness, heat damage to the harness can be your related link.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Such info. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning when the engine is cool to hop up there and start looking. I'm still getting the power drop outs and general odd behavior that comes with a misfire, but when I checked the computer last night it showed no misses on any of the 6 cylinders. (Dad's work has a MODIS scanner from Snap-On. Very useful device...) I was even able to run a Generator switching field test and even under load it wouldn't throw a fault that could be read. Only happens when the engine is hot and usually at highway speeds (it happens a little bit at lower speeds, just not as bad.Usually I just tell it to either give me a code or to stop it... it usually gives me a code :confused:) This is our only vehicle so we can't really afford to be without it for any length of time.

The first time I got a light was a charging system light but I can't remember if the 1391 was there then. (It probably was...) Then I thought the alternator had gone out and went to change it and discovered that one of the sensing wires that runs with the power lead off the alt was broken. It's been spliced together, and ran better after that, but I'm not sure if that is starting to come undone or not. That should be some thing I look at too...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Code P3191 under load with bucking and surging seems to be a symptom of a broken flexplate, but you have things muddled up by the alternator code.
My van is at the shop. I told my friends there that I am suspecting a cracked flexplate, and gave them the part, but they need to go through their own thought process before dropping the transaxle. So I'm just waiting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went and bought an alternator today to put on the van, and one the way home, I was running low on one of the batteries that I was using to power the van(It was in fail safe because it didn't shift out of second gear) when it died. I started to smell rubber burning. Thinking that what had occurred was that the alternator has seized and I was smelling the belt.

Nope. Not the belt. Spark plug wires for the rear side of the engine. Something got caught on the rear exhaust manifold and finally flashed. Well, I ended up having the fire department have to come over and extinguish what ever it was (Dad think it may have been a shop rag that got knocked off the back side of the intake manifold and landed either on the top of the catalytic converter or rear exhaust manifold.) The only casualty to that small fire was the rear plug wires. They have been fused together. Interestingly there is no contact between the three spark plug wires. I will be going tomorrow and getting new plug wires. Too bad I don't have another vehicle to use to go get the new wires so I can work on a cold engine.

Fun days...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, So an update on this situation: It's been fixed.

After struggling with the alternator (and discovering that the alternator mounting bracket is broken on the bottom bolt, which was causing a grinding noise that had plagued the van ever since the belt was replaced in march) and replacing all of the plug wires so they are the same age, my GCV runs great. There seems to be a hole at the top of the catalytic converter (I don't' think the gasket got put back on correctly) and a few holes in the exhaust toward the back, but this van hasn't' ran this well since I got it.

Been running her for a few days now, and no codes what-so-ever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts