The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 TC, I live in ohio and right now it is consistently about 10 degrees every morning, and for the past week or 2, when ever I start the van, it will start but it almost struggles a bit to start and has an odd high pitch whine for a quick second. But once started, the sound will go away and everything will function normally without issue. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced this as well with the van ( I've only owned it for a few months 134k miles). I just don't want to wake up and have the van not start on me one of these days when it's in the negatives.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I flushed the ps reservoir 3 or 4 weeks ago and got rid of most of the morning high pitched whine. It is brutally cold @ 9 degrees so I do expect some amount of morning noises, ticks clunks until it warms up.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Power steering reservoir. Typical problem with these vans, the small screen at the bottom of the reservoir gets clogged and is responsible for the whining noise. Just replace the reservoir, cheap and easy to replace, and make sure to use ONLY ATF+4 in the system.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Tons of video's on youtube about the problem

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
My ace mechanic who owns a van identical to mine says to keep the PS fluid level about 1/4" above full and this will help stop the PS pump noise. I do and it does.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I actually had school cancelled (student at KSU) yesterday and today. so its gonna be hard to actually get this done because of the negative temperatures. that being said, is this something that i can continue having on the van and just live with the sound when i first start it up, or is this something that needs to be taken care of asap?

·
fix it if you can
4,809 Posts
Make sure the fluid level is slightly over the full mark, then you can let it be till you can tackle it.. (If you run it out of fluid, it could cause the ps pump to fail..)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing since the weather turned so cold. I'll be checking that fluid level this morning...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts