The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering purchasing our third Town & Country .... We are in US .... Seller says van was made in Canada, and that the odometer reading is in km not miles. Does anyone know anything about this? Appreciate any help.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
My best guess would be to look at the numbering for the speedometer. If it was a Canadian spec van, I think the large main numbers would be km/hr and the smaller sub numbers would be mph.

I hope you understand what I mean.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It may be that a Dealer can reprogam the van for US and the odometer will then display in miles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I believe that you would have to replace the instrument cluster (if that is something that bothers you). I know a few people with US vehicals in canada and have chosen to live with miles instead of KM's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Odometer

Thanks so much for your help. Trying to find out if the van has miles on it or kilometers -- Does that make sense? That is, the dealer is telling us that the mileage is not as high as appears on odometer because it was measured in kilometers... I am confused.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks so much for your help. Trying to find out if the van has miles on it or kilometers -- Does that make sense? That is, the dealer is telling us that the mileage is not as high as appears on odometer because it was measured in kilometers... I am confused.
If the Odometer is in Kilometres, multiply by 0.625 to convert to Miles.

150,000 Km * 0.625 = 93,750 Miles. :ThumbsUp:

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Take a minute and look at your present dash, notice you have 2 sets of numbers, larger ones are the ones we usually use (USA Miles), the smaller ones are the Canadian (metric - KM). On the Canadian vehicles the Metric numbers are the larger ones (KM) the smaller ones are the USA (Miles). You get used to it after a very short while.

You can take it to most any dealer and ask them to replace it, but not all will do that. You may just need to get used to reading the "small" numbers on the Speedo (instead of the large numbers), and "forget about" the ODO. I had a company car that was supposed to go to Canada, but came here, instead, I just ignored the ODO and used the "smaller" numbers to watch my speed, no problems. :thumb:
Get the ODO reading and use one of the conversion programs on the internet and verify you're getting a good deal, per the equivalent mileage. Or post the KM reading and we'll help you.

What's important is the PRICE.
:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!!!

:hi2: To Everybody Out There, Thank you so much for your help -- What a terrific group you are....Hubby didn't believe me that I could get great help so quickly! Really appreciate it... Here's to you :beerchug: . Jo

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
:hi2: To Everybody Out There, Thank you so much for your help -- What a terrific group you are....Hubby didn't believe me that I could get great help so quickly! Really appreciate it... Here's to you :beerchug: . Jo
Hubby will fit in here "REAL NICELY"

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Take a minute and look at your present dash, notice you have 2 sets of numbers, larger ones are the ones we usually use (USA Miles), the smaller ones are the Canadian (metric - KM). On the Canadian vehicles the Metric numbers are the larger ones (KM) the smaller ones are the USA (Miles). You get used to it after a very short while.

You can take it to most any dealer and ask them to replace it, but not all will do that. You may just need to get used to reading the "small" numbers on the Speedo (instead of the large numbers), and "forget about" the ODO. I had a company car that was supposed to go to Canada, but came here, instead, I just ignored the ODO and used the "smaller" numbers to watch my speed, no problems. :thumb:
Get the ODO reading and use one of the conversion programs on the internet and verify you're getting a good deal, per the equivalent mileage. Or post the KM reading and we'll help you.

What's important is the PRICE.
There we go. That was a much better explanation of what I tried to say.

·
Super Moderator
24,119 Posts
We are considering purchasing our third Town & Country .... We are in US .... Seller says van was made in Canada, and that the odometer reading is in km not miles. Does anyone know anything about this? Appreciate any help.
So the real message was that the number was deceiving and actual "miles" would be a lot less.
Mmmmmmm
You might want to check out the maintenance records (booklet) to see if the entries reflect the odometer reading. In other words, did somebody change the odometer? I don't know if checking out the serial (VIN #) will verify the Canadian set up or not. A Dealer can probably tell you.
Just suspicious of the Seller, that's all.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The one that my buddys got was made in canda and has the running lights but everything is in miles and mph. He bought it new in 01 at a dealer in ohio. Funny thing is I called the dealer that he bought it from a month ago to ask a question and he asked for the vin. He said did you buy that in canada and I said no he bought it new from you guys. He seemed a little stumped.:ask_wsign

·
Registered
527 Posts
So the real message was that the number was deceiving and actual "miles" would be a lot less.
Mmmmmmm
You might want to check out the maintenance records (booklet) to see if the entries reflect the odometer reading. In other words, did somebody change the odometer? I don't know if checking out the serial (VIN #) will verify the Canadian set up or not. A Dealer can probably tell you.
Just suspicious of the Seller, that's all.
I don't think it's possible to change the odometer anymore. Is it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm sure the BCM control the odometer because when I swapped the BCM on my first 98 the odometer rolled back to the mileage of the other van it came from

you could swap the cluster if you want the MPH as the main scale

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Kscha41 made an important point, which needs to be emphasized.

The location where is was built does not necessarily determine whether or not the guage cluster and odometer reads in metric or imperial. There are thousands and thousands of vans built in the Canadian factory specifically for the US marketplace. The guage cluster and odometer will have been set up in metric only if destined for the Canadian market. Those set up in the factory as an export (USA or elsewhere) will have had imperial guage clusters and will read in miles, or miles per hour by default.

It is the original destined marketplace that determines the way each van is configured, not the location of the factory where it was manufactured.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts