The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

OEM Dual DVD Screen not working

81K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  DumbAdam 
#1 ·
I have a dual screen OEM DVD installed on my 2009 Town and Country. A week a go my second row monitor stopped working (it won't power up). I already tested the DVD player on a similar minivan and it works fine, I also tested the radio system from the other minivan and I get the same problem (the VES can not be turned on via the radio system or the actual DVD player). So i have come to the conclusion that the problem is with the screen itslef. The thrid row screen does turn on but does not play any movies. Is there a fix to this that anyone has figured out or do I have to replace the overhead monitor?

#2 ·
Came across this posted on antoher forum.. for '08's, but check with your dealer to see if applies to you as well.

Good luck.

JK

TSB #08-027-07

SUBJECT:
Flash: VES (Over Head Video Screen) Is Not Powering ON

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
VES (Over Head Video Screen) is not powering ON; but VES is active on the bus and is responding to all the diagnostic commands with StarSCAN® or StarMOBILE.

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Video Entertainment System (VES) with new software.

#3 ·
lcapo511,

The referenced Forum Thread noted above is at:

http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/.../08-town-country-ves-problem-15915/#post54867

I did do a quick check of TSB's listed for the 2009 Town & Country but there were none listed for the VES system and the TSB listed above does not appear to be associated with the 2009 model year.

The description sounds like the issue is with the hardware more than the software. Would suggest having a dealer perform diagnostics if still under any of the factory warranties.

#5 ·
lcapo511,

Hope your able to get the issue resolved very soon. Please post the solution and / or pics of what your experiencing.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Have you tried turning the Overhead DVD Monitors on from the Mygig Unit itself? Sometimes on mine, the remote (either switched to "1" or "2") wont turn the Monitors on either... I have to do it through the Mygig (or REQ 6Disc DVD)... Then I can use the remote to select the source on each of the Monitors...

Also if the Monitor "1" is on and Monitor "2" is off, Selecting VES "on" on the Mygig (or REQ) will turn both of them "on" regardless of their current state... Samething with VES "off" on the Mygig, it will turn them both "off" regardless of their state...

Let me know if it helps!

#11 ·
I have an '08 VES that is not working AGAIN. First, the disc light continues to flash even when the DVD player is not on whether it holds a disc or not. Next, the screens in the back say "region code not set Error." The last problem is that the back auxillary connections and plug seem to have no power.

#12 ·
Both rear screens stopped working recently in our 08 GC. We can view video playing on the front screen with the van in Park but only blank black screens in back (I can see they are powered on/illuminated but seem to be getting no signal). This began around the time we got a bunch of water in the van due to the sunroof leak that persists (another topic...blocked drain tube). Might this be related?

#13 ·
The 3rd row screen is a slave to the 2nd row screen. 2nd row has an additional module inside that controls 3rd row, they are not interchangeable. It sounds like the 2nd row unit could be the problem. Best solution might be to take it to Dodge just for a diagnosis, if they confirm that 2nd row unit is at fault then look on car-part.com for a used 2nd row unit. Good luck.

#15 ·
Hi Yitzy1249,
There is a Technical Service Bulletin that was released in April that addresses DVD inoperability. It is possible that your software needs to be updated. Please let me know if you would like assistance with scheduling a service appointment at your local dealership to see if your vehicle’s software is up-to-date. I’d be happy to help!

TSB NUMBER: 08-038-15
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: April 18, 2015

SUBJECT: RBZ Or RHB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RBZ or RHB Radio.

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with Media Center 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD (sales code RBZ) or Media Center 430N
CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV (sales code RHB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: The customer may experience one or more of the following.
• When changing the language on the radio, the navigation may still display English.
• Help prevent navigation lockup.
• Ghost image of the vehicle’s brand logo on the display screen.
• Digital photos loaded onto the hard drive intermittently get lost.
• Sirius audio pop on power up.
• HFM audio pop on power up.
• HFM Mode resume with no information.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION FOR RHB RADIOS ONLY:
• Trip planner does not save a route after is was created.
• Route guidance does not activate after the vehicle shuts down.
• Longitude entry does not allow enough digits.
• CD/DVD will not play.
• Navigation accept screen will not clear.
• Navigation shows “acquiring signal” for an extended period of time.
• New navigation graphics.

#22 ·
Ordered my cables the other day....middle row has been flakey for a month or two (re-opening it usually made it work...implying bad ribbon cable), now it won't turn on at all, and 3rd row has the infamous split screen.

The other symptom is the in-dash unit won't allow us to turn on the rear VES...you push the touchscreen button and it doesn't do anything, it still indicates off. Same goes with the power button on the lower DVD unit, although that one responds if the rear screen is lowered (but, the rear screen still just shows the split image).

Less than $30 I got both cables, will replace the rear one if it looks questionable, otherwise I'll have a spare.

#25 ·
Thank you for the product link and tutorial. Recieved my ribbon cable in about 5 days, took about an hour to replace it, and the second row monitor is good as new. The stealership said it would be about $900 for a new monitor plus labor and they only sell the complete monitor, not the $20 cable. Thanks for the assistance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.