The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took it in to check where the oil leak smell is coming from. Well, they did not find it. BUT, The tech there was a Chrysler certified repair guy. And he has Intamte knowledge of these vans (so he said, sound legit :biggrin: )

Well he stated that the FLA-1 filter would Blow right of the threads as they are not the same as the standard filter that the Vans use.

He said that it may screw on but it is not going to be enough to hold the filter on and that it would not hold up to oil pressure one day and come right blow right of the car one day.

Well, I took a look at the Chrysler filter at Walmart compared to the FLA-1, and it does seem to have a less actual threads then the other ones that are available.

So there may be some truth in this.

As usual, I thought it best to ask you guys what you think about this.

To me, I have been using filters for my MAN, and others on my car, with no problems like this. Actually, I have never had a problem with it at all. And I prefer to use the larger filter as the flow rate is improved and has more filtering area.

Is there any truth about what this tech says?

He mentioned that just the other day, a customers oil filter flew right of the car and hit another car on the freeway. :blink:

So far I have not heard or seen or even been able to look up any info about this happening to our vans at all using this filter.

Thoughts?

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
sounds like BS to me..
Not to say that a filter can't possibly fly off (there are always defective filters out there.. and lazy people who don't tighten the filter down / neglect to check the old filter gasket came off)

FL1a uses 3/4-16 threading which is identical to Fram PH-16 and AFAIK identical (spec wise) to Mopar M90

Here's a good ref site for you

·
Registered
562 Posts
So called Chrysler tech. is FOS! I used the FL-1A Motorcraft filter on my 92 3.3L. my 95 3.5L, and now use it on my 94 3.3L without any problems. It is a great filter to use on a 3.3L/3.8L engine because it holds more oil than the standard Mopar filter and you don't have to measure that 1/2 qt. which to me is a PITA! Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
As to high pressures, the engine's oil pressure control valve controls the pressure in the system. High pressure won't be the oil filter's fault normally, but a faulty oil pressure control valve can cause a filter to baloon and blow.
even a faulty oil pump pressure relief valve will not cause the filter to "blow right off the threads", unless the threads are defective/damaged...

and if oil pressure is that high (fl1a spec up to 200psi), a weak spot will fail somewhere - be it filter or gasket or oil pump...

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice guy BTW. But anyone can get mislead I guess. :thumb:

This is how Internet Fairy tales start out. Nice to get some real world input from real users of the FLA-1 filters.

Over here, the FLA-1 prices are very competitively priced then any of the other filters offered. Also My local Wallmart no longer carries the Super-Tech brand of filters either. (Hazel Dell, Washington store.) I thought that was a little strange. I did not see any of them on the shelf anywhere.

Thanks guys.

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
Next time you go to Wally's world take a close look at those Motorcraft filters..
Last time I was picking one out at least three filters off the shelf looked very ugly (rubber seals sticking out/protruding from the gaps etc)
Could be Motorcraft is switching suppliers again or wally is getting their stock form some knock offs.. If next time I see same thing it might be time to look for other filter brand or other store..

·
Latent car nut
9,267 Posts
Too funny about the negative comments regarding the FL-1A, Ford and Chrysler shared oil filter standards for decades, hence the fact that the FL-1A fits the vast majority of Chrysler engines built in the last fifty years. Not taking the pressure is a red herring, plain and simple.

Are there better filters out there? Highly likely. Are there better filters for the price point of the FL-1A? Possible. That said, the only filter I found which was capable of eliminating the cold-start clatter in our 1998 DGC Sport was the FL-1A, and given that over 90% of all engine wear is related to cold starts, all other oil filter metrics were secondary in my mind.

Reactions: michaelsurfs

·
Registered
213 Posts
That said, the only filter I found which was capable of eliminating the cold-start clatter in our 1998 DGC Sport was the FL-1A, and given that over 90% of all engine wear is related to cold starts, all other oil filter metrics were secondary in my mind.
I too, had this clatter during the first few starts after an oil change in my van. I had just purchased it shy of 200k miles, and used an FL-1A. I then switched to the Fram ToughGuard TG8A filter, and the behavior was the same. Clatters during the first few starts, then it doesn't happen again until the oil gets changed the next time. That said, I would have no reason not to fully trust the FL-1A.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
Chrysler certified repair guy
Certified in what way? How old/experienced was he? Sometimes Mechanics can say ridiculous things but sounds like this guy was on a rant.
First of all, the fit of the FL-1A is excellent for various Chrysler engines - same size, same thread, same gasket dimensions.
Secondly, a failure where the threads strip is unheard of (atleast I haven't heard of it). Overly high pressures, an oil pump pressure regulating valve generated problem, will balloon/burst the filter or blow out the gasket.

- Operating oil pressure for the Ford engines and Chrysler engines is similar. There's no special high pressure filter required for the Chrysler engines.

- Mopar here has oil filters for Ford engines that take the FL-1A filter. They are longer, but otherwise the same filters as specified for many Chrysler engines. I use them.

- FL-1A filters are commonly used on Chrysler engines by those that want a larger filter capacity. The size is similar to the Fram PH/TG8A which are commonly used as well.

Nothing special about the regular FL-1A. They are comparable to the Mopars with a nitrile anti-drainback valve (silicone is better but is it necessary), bypass valve at the base (better than at cap end - my opinion), and a so, so efficiency rating (likely 90% to 95% at >50 microns, whereas 95% to 99%+ is available with priceier brands). The FL-1A racing/high performance filter is another animal, more expensive too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like the Chrysler Certified Tech likes to spin tall tails. :) Have worked as a mechanic most of my life and haven't seen a single incident like that, ever. Maybe I'm just lucky or know how to install them. He did mention that it was a "customer's" van didn't he? Just sayin".....

·
fix it if you can
5,490 Posts
He mentioned that just the other day, a customers oil filter flew right of the car and hit another car on the freeway. :blink:
Sounds like the typical "we can't find what's wrong", but can't let a customer go without selling something line.. (can't find the source of oil smell, but will sell an oil change):jpshakehe

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I agree that the guy is full of it. But I also don't understand the reasoning of using the fl-1a. The standard size filter works perfectly, and is capable of going many more miles than recommended change intervals. The engine shouldn't be making so much gunk you plug up the stock size filter in even 10000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
27,730 Posts
I agree that the guy is full of it. But I also don't understand the reasoning of using the fl-1a. The standard size filter works perfectly, and is capable of going many more miles than recommended change intervals. The engine shouldn't be making so much gunk you plug up the stock size filter in even 10000 miles.
The oil companie keep saying how their oil removes sludge better than anyone elses. Something has to collect all that sludge. :)

The miniscule oil filter that came on my 2007 GC is scary as to its size. The next size up is ok, the oversize filters are the same price (for me). Take a look at the one in the new Pentastar as to size, it's quite long: http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/jeep-wrangler-pentastar-3-6l-oil-change/

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The oil companie keep saying how their oil removes sludge better than anyone elses. Something has to collect all that sludge. :)
They should really advertise that they prevent sludge buildup, which any decent or better oil does. I have yet to open up an engine that was at least minimally taken care of that had any notable sludge buildup in it. The 400 in my gto was very neglected by past owners and has lots of sludge in it, but it is from 1976 and had never been opened up until I got it and replaced the worn out cam. Every time I remove the valve covers, it looks a little cleaner in there, so I guess the oil is doing its job.

I have no doubts that the Fram PH16 standard size filter I use in my van cold use more filter media in the 5000+ miles I run them. I have never looked, but I would guess the larger filter is more expensive and it for sure requires more than the standard 5 quarts to fill.

·
Latent car nut
9,267 Posts
Speaking strictly for myself, I hate messing around with 4.5 quarts during an oil change, I just used the FL-1A and 5 quarts and went on my merry way.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Speaking strictly for myself, I hate messing around with 4.5 quarts during an oil change, I just used the FL-1A and 5 quarts and went on my merry way.
4.5? Mine with the stock filter takes 5 quarts and hits the full line every time. I think the manual says 4.5 on the back cover but that always left it in the middle of the hash mark on the stick. I've changed the oil pan and dipstick at different times and it always stayed the same, so no differences there.

·
Latent car nut
9,267 Posts
4.5? Mine with the stock filter takes 5 quarts and hits the full line every time. I think the manual says 4.5 on the back cover but that always left it in the middle of the hash mark on the stick. I've changed the oil pan and dipstick at different times and it always stayed the same, so no differences there.
None of our three vans were ever able to take a full 5 quarts following an oil change when the half-sized filter was used. This has been debated before and I don't really know why some vans were able to use that much and some are not. Go figure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
5 quarts for me also. Mobil 1 filter is my preferred choice.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts