The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find a recommendation on how many hours between oil changes? I know the van (Chrysler Town and Country) will tell me when but my van shows an average of 32 hours on it. Can I multiple 32 by a number to arrive at an hourly rate to change the oil based on whether it's around town or highway? Lately, it's been around town but the 32 comes from total miles and total hours. I would like to track from my last oil change. I have those hours and mileage. My van is a 2014 T&C. I need just the hours to change the oil. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
I cannot find a recommendation on how many hours between oil changes? I know the van (Chrysler Town and Country) will tell me when but my van shows an average of 32 hours on it. Can I multiple 32 by a number to arrive at an hourly rate to change the oil based on whether it's around town or highway? Lately, it's been around town but the 32 comes from total miles and total hours. I would like to track from my last oil change. I have those hours and mileage. My van is a 2014 T&C. I need just the hours to change the oil. Thanks
From my 2016's Owner's Manual:
"NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers "

32 sounds like your average miles per hour based on engine hours. Mine, betwewen oil changes, is around 62 kmph = 38.5 mph That's about 50/50 highway/other timewise.

Do you have an engine hours diaplay? EVIC?

My last oil change was 11,300 km = 7,022 miles and 180 hours

·
Registered
316 Posts
I put an hour meter on which in reality gave me the answer I was looking for if only for just under 400 hours before it quit. I changed at 200 hours 5500 miles 11 months.

Oil light came on just over 8k and just over 300 hours over 16 months.

My conclusion is follow manual at once a year or light.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
581 Posts
You can analyze your oil to accurately ( correctly) assess when you really need to change the oil. Otherwise it's just your personal opinion or religion of when it needs it.

As a society, we overchange our motor oils.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can analyze your oil to accurately ( correctly) assess when you really need to change the oil. Otherwise it's just your personal opinion or religion of when it needs it.

As a society, we overchange our motor oils.
Most don't know how to get an accurate sample. Would say it is good to determine fluids contamination in oil though. Oils today are better than yesteryears oil so it is seen as a waste unless you spend extra for tbn and tan. I guess you could look at viscosity and when it starts to thicken change but at what cost and how many samples? Mostly businesses use it to determine what is best for fleet but again that is a sample for a whole fleet.
Just my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts