The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I recently acquired a 2012 Dodge GC with 72000 mi. And have changed the oil for the first time since acquiring ti..

And I have a couple of questions related to that, that did not seem to be covered in the Owners manual.
First, a bit of a back story.
I had recently had a 1995 Buick LeSabre, and it had an oil change light. When I changed the oil of it, I had to re index the Oil change calculator thing or else the dash change Oil light would fuss at me.. The car would somehow tell me when it thought that Oil was needing to be changed (if I ran it that long).
My MOPAR question is,
Does the Dodge GC have some calculator doing this, and if so, how does it work? do I have to re set it at my Oil change.?
If so,
How do I do a reset?,
and how does it even know when the Oil needs to be changed.?

I could not find any thing covering this in the manual.

Thanks John

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
Hi Folks,
I recently acquired a 2012 Dodge GC with 72000 mi. And have changed the oil for the first time since acquiring ti..

And I have a couple of questions related to that, that did not seem to be covered in the Owners manual.
I had recently had a 1995 Buick LeSabre, and it had an oil change light. When I changed the oil of it, I had to re index the Oil change calculator thing or else the dash change Oil light would fuss at me.. The car would somehow tell me when it thought that Oil was needing to be changed (if I ran it that long).
My MOPAR question is,
Does the Dodge GC have some calculator doing this, and if so, how does it work? do I have to re set it at my Oil change.?
If so,
How do I do a reset?,

Thanks John
Yes, you need to reset it after an oil change, that information should be in your Owner's Manual.
As for "how", most, if not all, car companies use a algorithm which takes into account the number of cold starts, the amount of fuel burned, and the amount of idling since the last reset. Assuming you use the minimum spec oil as called for in the Owner's Manual, you should be good to go; using a better oil will give you even that much more of a margin of error.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think to reset it is turn key to the on (no start) and fully depress gas peddle 3 times within like 10 seconds .

·
Super Moderator
22,842 Posts
From Page 288 in a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Owner Manual:
CHAngE OIL
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The CHAngE OIL message will flash in the instrument cluster odometer for approximately 12 seconds, after a single chime has sounded, to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle-based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the STEP button on the steering wheel. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), perform the following steps.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the engine, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat these steps.
Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) Display
— If Equipped
The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) features a driver-interactive display that is located in the instrument cluster. For further information, refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)”.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Folks,

My MOPAR question is,
If so,
How do I do a reset?,

Thanks John
In Canada, the oil change reminder on a 2010 Grand Caravan SXT 4.0 goes on after 5,000 kms (3,105 miles)... It can go up to about three times as much in USA:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/121241-8500-miles-and-no-oil-change-reminder

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/91673-How-many-miles-until-change-oil-light-comes-on

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys,
I actually did not have the CHangeOIL light showing when I changed the oil.
but, I have now done the press of the accelerator 3 times,
but since there was no light, I really don't know if any thing happened.
I plan to change the oil in some 4000 miles so I guess I may never know if the things actually works.

Thanks for the help John

·
Super Moderator
22,842 Posts
Thanks for the replys,
I actually did not have the CHangeOIL light showing when I changed the oil.
but, I have now done the press of the accelerator 3 times,
but since there was no light, I really don't know if any thing happened.
I plan to change the oil in some 4000 miles so I guess I may never know if the things actually works.

Thanks for the help John
Your are very safe with a 4000 mile oil change. Don't reset the system and the light should come on eventually.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think to reset it is turn key to the on (no start) and fully depress gas peddle 3 times within like 10 seconds .
Or push the start button in accessory mode for those who don't have a physical key. But otherwise, fully depress the gas pedal 3x. I couldn't believe it was that rudimentry too. That's what GM did back in the late 90's. Most now you just reset through the D.I.C in one of the vehicle submenu's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue and am about to try to reset it using the gas pedal as described. But the dipstick shows decent looking oil to me, and at the right level. I'm only 2300 miles past last change so am wondering if the indicator just sucks or if it is suggesting I have low pressure. Unfortunately I am trying to find a decent mechanic again as I have had some bad experiences recently.

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
I'm having the same issue and am about to try to reset it using the gas pedal as described. But the dipstick shows decent looking oil to me, and at the right level. I'm only 2300 miles past last change so am wondering if the indicator just sucks or if it is suggesting I have low pressure. Unfortunately I am trying to find a decent mechanic again as I have had some bad experiences recently.
If you look up to my first post in this thread you will see there is no such a thing as a sensor to determine the quality of the oil, the indicator is simply based upon an algorithm which determines when the minimum quality oil as specified by Chrysler will be exhausted. It has nothing to do with actual oil quality, oil level, or oil pressure.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,547 Posts
If you look up to my first post in this thread you will see there is no such a thing as a sensor to determine the quality of the oil, the indicator is simply based upon an algorithm which determines when the minimum quality oil as specified by Chrysler will be exhausted. It has nothing to do with actual oil quality, oil level, or oil pressure.

You have good memory, you posted that over three years ago. 🤣

His/her problem probably is that however did change the oil last time didn't reset the counter.

Nothing to worry about, just reset it.

·
Super Moderator
22,842 Posts
Who changed your oil last time, how many miles was on the oil, and did they reset the monitoring system? Sounds like they didn't. That just happened recently to a friend of mine, at an Acura Dealership..

·
Registered
22 Posts
The "change oil soon" message in my 2012 GC comes on at pretty close to 7,500 mi. intervals, but I change the oil every 5,000 mi. on the odometer. Attempting to reset the monitor interval if the message is not showing does nothing. The message will still come on 7,500 mi. since it last appeared.

·
Super Moderator
22,842 Posts
The "change oil soon" message in my 2012 GC comes on at pretty close to 7,500 mi. intervals, but I change the oil every 5,000 mi. on the odometer. Attempting to reset the monitor interval if the message is not showing does nothing. The message will still come on 7,500 mi. since it last appeared.
It should reset regardless, mine does. Check your Owner Manual for the procedure.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine won't reset unless the message is showing as well.
I change my oil at 10,000Km intervals and reset the message minder whenever it appears.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm curious what the algorithm is too. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you what the % life remaining is, like other makes do.

I have a Ford and time is one of the factors. The remaining life drops even if you don't drive it. When I bought it new (30 km on it), the life was at 60%, but the dealer reset it before delivery.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have never seen my Oil Change light come on. I reset it on first 2 oil changes and so far it has only been 5k since last reset. I am going to let it go until light comes on so I can adjust the interval of changes. In 18 months I only put 11k on it (bought with 3k). I am pretty sure I fall in severe duty category which is 4k but can't bring myself to throw away oil at that mileage. I have Valvoline Daily Synthetic Blend 5w20 in right now but would love to use Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20 once a year around 7500 miles so if light comes on it will give me an idea according to algorithm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts