The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my daughter's boyfriend come over and ask me what engine was in Caravan. I looked at him with a stare as he has over 30 years experience in auto repair but I entertained it and told him 3.6 then asked why. He proceeded to tell me he had 3 vehicles under warranty that Dodge wouldn't cover cause customer had oil change somewhere other than dealership. One needed oil pump (2018 Jeep), one needed oil cooler and Caravan needed motor as it through a rod. I suspect oil change gone wrong with the shop he works for is to blame. Anyone else heard that warranty is voided cause of an oil change if done by someone other than dealership?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
If you live in the US or Canada, is not true, you can not be denied warranty because your vehicle was serviced somewhere else.

Mexico is another story, all service must be done on time and by a dealer if you want to keep your warranty.

Have feelings that is about to change.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As long as you have documentation that shows mileage and that they have used factory recommended oil and filters, I have never had any issues with warranty being denied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
As long as you have documentation that shows mileage and that they have used factory recommended oil and filters, I have never had any issues with warranty being denied.

You don't even need to show any kind of proof, they have to believe you or prove otherwise, but there is no way for them to prove it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You don't even need to show any kind of proof, they have to believe you or prove otherwise, but there is no way for them to prove it.
I also have an Acura MDX and they have asked to see documentation before. I just always bring the folder with me when I go. I don’t use the dealer for anything other than warranty work. Too expensive.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
Yes, they can ask all they want, but can not deny warranty for lack of proof.

What kind of documentation?

Receipts of oil and filter?

How do they know you actually changed oil and filter?

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I said the same thing. Hard for me to believe so many problems with 3.6 Pentastar. Just this month he is on number 5 Pentastar problems and one sludged up Hemi. What I couldn't believe is customer willing to pay a shop not the dealership as the warranty isn't the same

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Maybe he should change his source for motor oil. There's lot of garbage stuff out there. Take a look at the PQIA site and see the products that can ruin an engine. Reportedly, even Mobil 1 had additive deficiencies in their 5W-30 some years back (Jobbers World 2008/2009ish).

Some Shops don't seem to know 5W-30 from 5W-20 or ATF+4 from whatever Universal/Amsoil product that tries to imitate it. Treat Shops with caution.

Solid documentation is key to making an assessment. We don't have that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it is more of techs not knowing the product. When I told him I am the only person ever changed oil on this van cause I am afraid oil tech doesn't know the procedure for this engine he gave me a blank stare. Finally he asked what procedure so I explained to him that you are to pull filter forward not sideways to get filter off cap then push on cap to make sure it's not damaged. He didn't think damaged oil cap would cause check engine light for oil pump. He will not work on my vehicle or my family's vehicle if I have anything to do with it. I still don't think he got it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
That is why I do my own oil changes. Most lube techs treat the fragile plastic oil cooler/cap contraption as if it was an old dented metal spin on filter, with no regard for over torquing. BTW i sure do miss the inexpensive tough spin on filters which many new cars still use.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sound like that shop doesn't know how to change oil on pentastar engines, the filter in particular.
Perhaps chrysler saw multiple engine warranty claims from this shop and got suspicious.

·
Registered
123 Posts
He will not work on my vehicle or my family's vehicle if I have anything to do with it. I still don't think he got it.
Good call. Been changing my own oil for several decades, 30+ cars, and have yet to have an oil-related engine issue - including 3 Chrysler miinvans, over 200k miles on each.

Odd that this guy has had three . . . probably not a coincidence.

reminds me of this :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
alordofchaos
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing