The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone hope you're all happy and well on this beautiful Sunday morning. Well, at least it's nice in Mesa, AZ I feel for you folks that are dealing with the winter storms. Okay, down to business. I know that regular oil changes are probably the most important thing you can do to prolong the life of your engine. My question is just how much difference dies it really make if I do it every 3 to 4 thousand miles versus say every ten thousand. My 02 Town and Country has 154,000 on it but being disabled I can't do the oil changes myself anymore. I live quite far from any place to have it done, My house is on the backside of the Superstition Mountain range right at the base. So I don't get to town often. Also, I do have a couple cases of oil but no new filters left. How harmful would it be if I just pumped all the oil out with a syphon gun I have and replace the oil but not the filter, just in a pinch. Obviously I know the importance of a fresh filter but what do you guys think? I always value your input and insights. Thanks in advance and God Bless you all.

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
With the venerable 3.3 and 3.8 liter V6 engines, you can easily go 10,000 miles on an oil change. I've been doing that since the 1990s on all of our vans, and have even sent out four used oil samples for analysis, and they have all come back showing the contaminates and additive package were all within spec. Needless to say, I only use top quality synthetic oil in the vans.

Regarding the oil filter, the recommendation right in your Owner's Manual is to change the filter every other oil change, so you can easily get away with 15,000 miles between filter changes, and probably over 20,000 miles if you upgrade to the full size filter which has considerably more media inside. The oversized filter which works the best on my vans is the Motorcraft FL-1A, if for no other reason than the anti-drainback valve works better than literally every other filter I've tried.

·
Super Moderator
22,790 Posts
Three sizes of oil filter will fit your vehicle.
  • the puny one that's OE: PH3614 or TG3614
  • medium size oil filter: Fram PH16 or TG16
  • large capacity oil filter: Fram PH8A or TG8A
Should be able to go 16,000 km+/10,000 miles+ with the largest filter for sure.

I would not use a house brand oil, as the additive package may be on the low end of the spec, but go with a Brand name like Valvoline Daily Protection (a premium conventional oil with synthetic blended in with it in the 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades). Full synthetic oil is another option.

I would go 5W-30 Valvoline Daily Protection (often on sale at Walmart) with the large capacity oil filter (Fram TG8A, Mopar FE00148, or Motorcraft FL-1A size, for examples) and change oil every 6,000 miles for a 12,000 mile filter life. If you are adding oil between changes, your interval can be extended accordingly.

Make sure when you change filters that the gasket comes off with the filter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shipo, Wow what great information. I couldn't have scripted a better reply. Dumb me I didn't realize there were different sizes filters. I always try to get the best,standard filter they carry at Auto Zone but will definitely take uour advice on the Motorcraft FL-1A. Thanks for everything you've been a HUGE help. If you're ever in AZ give me a holler and well jump on a couple of these old nags I have in the corral and take you up through the Superstition Mountain Trails. Who knows, we might get lucky and find the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. LOL. Thanks again and God Bless.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jeepman, Ya know, uou are one of the best, most reliable contributors on this forum. You always have terrific, knowledgeable answers and go above and beyond like giving me the actual product numbers for the different filters. Keep up the great work, and thank you, I'm very grateful for your solid, reliable, to the point contributions. God Bless

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
Shipo, Wow what great information. I couldn't have scripted a better reply. Dumb me I didn't realize there were different sizes filters. I always try to get the best,standard filter they carry at Auto Zone but will definitely take uour advice on the Motorcraft FL-1A. Thanks for everything you've been a HUGE help. If you're ever in AZ give me a holler and well jump on a couple of these old nags I have in the corral and take you up through the Superstition Mountain Trails. Who knows, we might get lucky and find the Lost Dutchman Gold Mine. LOL. Thanks again and God Bless.
Same here, if you ever get up to New Hampshire, we've got eleven ranging from small(ish) Saddlebreds up through a couple of Belgians; the trails around here up through the northern woods and abandoned 19th century granite quarries make for great places to ride.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,503 Posts
Oil changes and horses...

I use the Fram PH8A filter (same as Motorcraft FL-1A) because it is cheaper and the 4th gen oil filter mounting doesn't make the silicone drainback valve useful, so you're paying for a filter feature you don't need. The 4th gen oil filter is vertical, vs. slanted/horizontal on the 3rd gen engine which lets oil run out of the filter and back to the oil pan. I usually park nose-down on my slanted driveway so maybe that helps me? Just my personal observations and what works for me.

For oil, I sometimes use Mobil clean 5000 (a conventional oil) so I can do a longer change interval (usually during the spring/summer/fall). Then in winter I'll go to a full synthetic, thin oil for cold weather. I always change the filter for cheap insurance. These engines don't like dirty oil, or especially low oil level. My oil change regimen is for my climate which differs greatly from yours, so I don't expect it to apply.

Last fall my wife and I took our annual couples vacation to the U.P. of Michigan and Mackinac Island. We went for a horseback riding tour of the island for an hour or so. Fun and scary at the same time for me, an inexperienced rider. I've only ridden ponies that were attached to a carousel or in a pasture up to that point LOL. My wife has more experience than me and she loved it, so it was worth it. No cars/motorized vehicles on the island, so it was very quiet. Later we took a horse-pulled wagon tour of the island too. Very old-world feeling on that island, with horses being an important part of moving things there. Also, tons of bicycles!

·
Super Moderator
22,790 Posts
Oil changes and horses...

I use the Fram PH8A filter (same as Motorcraft FL-1A) because it is cheaper and the 4th gen oil filter mounting doesn't make the silicone drainback valve useful, so you're paying for a filter feature you don't need. The 4th gen oil filter is vertical, vs. slanted/horizontal on the 3rd gen engine which lets oil run out of the filter and back to the oil pan. I usually park nose-down on my slanted driveway so maybe that helps me? Just my personal observations and what works for me.

Very old-world feeling on that island, with horses being an important part of moving things there. Also, tons of bicycles!
Good point about the vertical mounting of the oil filter. (y)

I doubt that anti-drainback valves actually work, other than for short durations. They are only a flappy piece of black nitrile, or orange silicone (silicone may work better?). The filter on my Jeep mounts horizontally and there's no extra oil reserved if I leave it for a day or so, using a Mopar FE00148 filter made by WIX, with a black nitrile anti-drainback valve. And I'm not even using synthetic oil, which flows so much better, or so they say. :)

Came across this while doing some searching:
A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Base Oils

It includes mention of base oil made from gas as follows:
Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) base oils:
The API classifies GTL base oils as Group III or unofficially it has been called, “Group III+.” It is this author’s view that the GTL process results in a “synthesized” oil and should be given a separate API classification as they do PAO, or moved to the Group V classification. A separate, future debate can address this issue and will not be further discussed here in this white paper.
Authentic old style "two holers" on that Island, I assume. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
TIME VS MILEAGE

So what if you drive say less than 5,000 kilometers per year. That’s about 3,100 miles. Would it be OK to go a year or even 18 months between oil changes including changing the filter?

·
Super Moderator
22,790 Posts
TIME VS MILEAGE

So what if you drive say less than 5,000 kilometers per year. That’s about 3,100 miles. Would it be OK to go a year or even 18 months between oil changes including changing the filter?
Certainly OK to go a year, that's the new norm now days.
NOTE: Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a
concern for fleet customers.
Another six months ......... I can't see a problem unless the vehicle is being used for short trips and condensation is building up. If the engine is using oil, then the oil is being refreshed along the way. But ........ one year is a good benchmark.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ivan, you beat me to it...

Time. Samalama, how often do you drive the vehicle and how far?
My SHMBO drives over 600 miles a week. 56 miles each way twice a way.

Now I advise her that this is the happiest way an engine wants to be run, on the highway, about an hour, and twice a day... it is just great!
We have not done 'Used Engine Oil Analysis' to determine how long she could go between oil changes, but regularly allow her to go 8,000 - 10,000.... sometimes 11,500 or so. We change the filter every other oil drain/refill. But a quick cipher on the abacus figures she is going about every three or four months between oil changes.

UEOA such as Blackstone service, will analyse your oil and list the contaminates, viscosity, and I believe that they will also tell you if the oil 'needed' to be changed yet or even perhaps an estimate of how much longer the oil change could be extended. They even know what metals are appearing and based on your engine make/model they can predict eventual failure such as the metal makeup of say a cam shaft and lifters and report them as wearing faster...

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OP, please do the following:

1. Use a good quality synthetic oil, like Mobil One.

2. Change oil every 10K miles or so.

3. Use whatever size filter you want, but I think the smaller size was chosen, by Chrysler, for a reason, maybe quicker flow and pressure buildup. If you ask the forum, you'll get 500 different responses, none of which have any relationship to reality.

4. Change filter at every oil change, just for fun.

5. Go have a beer and stop overthinking.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,504 Posts
OP, please do the following:

1. Use a good quality synthetic oil, like Mobil One.

2. Change oil every 10K miles or so.

3. Use whatever size filter you want, but I think the smaller size was chosen, by Chrysler, for a reason, maybe quicker flow and pressure buildup. If you ask the forum, you'll get 500 different responses, none of which have any relationship to reality.

4. Change filter at every oil change, just for fun.

5. Go have a beer and stop overthinking.
Someone here on this forum is not sold to synthetics yet.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in all my vehicles.

And finally, finally, whatever you do, don't listen to Jeepman (half man - half Jeep) and Levy!

I'll agree 100%.

And finally, finally, finally, don't listen to anybody from Canada, who's currency is called the 'loonie'!

Yeah, those Canadian guys are worst than Argentinians. They think they are second to God.

·
Super Moderator
22,790 Posts
And finally, finally, finally, don't listen to anybody from Canada, who's currency is called the 'loonie'!
Back at ya. "Loonie" ..... isn't that the president of some socially backward country? Maybe it's "Toonie" or something like that. Couldn't resist. ha, ha.

·
Super Moderator
22,790 Posts
Someone here on this forum is not sold to synthetics yet.

I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance in all my vehicles.

I'll agree 100%.

Yeah, those Canadian guys are worst than Argentinians. They think they are second to God.
No, I haven' drank the Kool-Aid.

Is that the Mobil European formula? If not, it's just another petroleum product (alias dinosaur). The Pennzoil synthetic oil made from Natural Gas, well, that's a step up.

Yes, I agree, don't listen to LEVY, especially when he talks about worms. As for marvinstockman, I won't even go there. :)

You're wrong. God is second to us.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Latent car nut
8,887 Posts
The early Gen 4 (and older) vans came from the factory with, and specified in the Owner's Manual, the medium sized filter; those filters were rated for 15,000 miles of use (i.e. every other oil change). It wasn't until the smaller filter was used that Chrysler shorted the oil filter change interval to every oil change. Said another way, if someone is going to go 10,000+ miles on an oil change, use at least the medium sized filter.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts