The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I agree that an impact wrench is usually the best method to remove "stuck" bolts. It's a continuous and more effective application of the "hammering on a breaker bar" that I mentioned. When I removed the oil pan plug on my T&C, I was at home, so I didn't have an impact available.
I have successfully used an impact on spark plugs, a number of times, although, the big issue on modern vehicles is accessibility.
Always double check that the impact wrench is turning in the correct direction before you place it on the bolt! I've twisted off a bolt or two, in my life, by accidentally tightening them. The torque on your hands is low so that it's not always immediately obvious.

·
Super Moderator
27,888 Posts
A real man would take that oil plug out with his teeth. :lol:

Ever wonder why your lug nuts were so tight: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/infoCenter/infoWheelTorque.html#dodge2

The requirement is either 90 ft.lb. or 95 ft.lb. depending on what your Owner Manual says. Discount Tire is showing 110 ft.lb. Some charts show 115 ft.lbs. Some even use 120 ft.lbs. Costco, Walmart and Canadian Tire here use 100 ft.lb. I don't know what rocket science is involved with determining what torque to use.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The problem with tapping on a ratchet handle or breaker bar is there is too much spring to them so you don't get the desired amount of shock to loosen the nut.

A solid wrench is much better and an air wrench is even better because it hammers directly.

Evidently oil jockeys are using air wrenches these days to install oil drain plugs?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Actually an impact wrench hammers, that is the reason it is called impact.

·
Super Moderator
27,888 Posts
The problem with tapping on a ratchet handle or breaker bar is there is too much spring to them so you don't get the desired amount of shock to loosen the nut.

A solid wrench is much better and an air wrench is even better because it hammers directly.

Evidently oil jockeys are using air wrenches these days to install oil drain plugs?
My 3/8" x 7" long ratchet is sturdy enough and not too thin to pound on with my fist.

I think the oil guys are using an ordinary wrench but tightening too fast and too aggressively.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Everyone has their own perspective on the word "snug"...for me, I finger tighten the plug then turn it once or twice and it's fairly easy to remove at the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I've used the extractor on engines and transmissions of all sorts; the unit comes with at least two diameter tubes, the smaller tube slows things down a bit but hey, at least it gets in there. :)
I got caught up in an Ebay auction and got this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5Amp-Motor-Oil-Fuel-Diesel-Extractor-Scavenge-Suction-Transfer-Pump-Hoses-/251721775413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9bc97935

I only paid $13.59 for it, so if it's a piece of junk and doesn't work with my 5W20 or 5W30, well, hey, I'm sure I can find something to 'extract' with it. I thought I might run the hose direct from my trans dipstick tube into the 1/2 holes I have drilled in my rocker panels, LOL! I will own a 'self-rust proofing' van.

·
Latent car nut
9,271 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5Amp-Motor-Oil-Fuel-Diesel-Extractor-Scavenge-Suction-Transfer-Pump-Hoses-/251721775413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a9bc97935

I only paid $13.59 for it, so if it's a piece of junk and doesn't work with my 5W20 or 5W30, well, hey, I'm sure I can find something to 'extract' with it. I thought I might run the hose direct from my trans dipstick tube into the 1/2 holes I have drilled in my rocker panels, LOL! I will own a 'self-rust proofing' van.
Cool, and if you drive on dusty dirt roads you can self oil them and keep the dust down.

I'm thinking the above comment dates me as I remember being a kid in the early 1960s when spray trucks would roll down all of the dirt roads in our area a few times per year and literally spray crude oil down onto the road bed. I'm thinking the EPA has long since put a stop to that practice. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,888 Posts

Have fun with your new toy. Is it a stocking stuffer? :)

It should work fine for your oil. If you are using it for your transmission, some no larger than 5/16" OD vinyl hose will be needed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
.... spray trucks would roll down all of the dirt roads in our area a few times per year and literally spray crude oil down onto the road bed. ...
They also did this in Vermont when I lived there across the border from you a lifetime ago. Wonderful memories. I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
27,888 Posts
Those oil sprayed gravel roads were considered "Poor Man's Pavement". Gravel roads made life interesting - the dust, the oil spraying, the calcium chloride applications, the deep ruts and stuck vehicles in the spring, treacherous icy grooves in the winter, road graders pulled by a truck, pot hole after pot hole, gravel rocks flying .............. oh my, paved roads are so boring. :)

The oil spray by Mr Bliss that caused Times Beach, Missouri, to get out of its town (sort of): http://56housesleft.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/abandoned-blast-from-the-past-times-beach-missouri/
The town of Times Beach’s dirt roads was contaminated with dioxin in 1972-1976.
The answer: Canola oil, gives a nice french fry aroma to the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR6vOotT4p0

·
Super Moderator
27,888 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Have fun with your new toy. Is it a stocking stuffer? :)

It should work fine for your oil. If you are using it for your transmission, some no larger than 5/16" OD vinyl hose will be needed.
Yes, a stocking stuffer indeed. Though it may not make actually it to the stocking. I have a tendency to play with my new toys as soon as I get them. I don't want oil or transmission fluid dripping out of the stocking and onto the floor. The wifey would go all ballistic as the kids probably tried to lick the oil off the floor.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
He was tapping with a hammer.

If tapping with my fist I would want lots of spring to the handle:)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The price is now $21.78! It pulls ! liter/min at 5a.

One on the same page at $54 pulls 40 liters/min at 13a!

·
Super Moderator
27,888 Posts
One quick deliberate whack, bandage up the hand, and get on with the job. :lol:

Actually, that's how I loosen the oil plug and the caliber bolts, consistently, with the same wrench. They aren't that tight. Wish that worked on the outer tie rod end lock nuts. Ouch!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for incurred damage.

Put a breaker bar on it and tap lightly with a hammer. I've had oil change places really over torque my oil drain plug. Tapping on the bar usually frees it up. I've never had one shear off or damage the oil pan doing this. IDK, maybe warming up the engine would expand the pan a bit and make removing easier. Just a thought.
i used the IRWIN Bolt Extractor Set from Amazon because the Chrysler dealer and Valvoline had both worked on my van and neither accepted responsibility for the stripped head. I just tapped the tool on the head and used a cheater bar on the wrench. It came right off. Don’t exceed 20 ft. lbs torque and on my 2015 Pentastar use “5W-20”, not 5W-30 oil because those valves need the lightweight oil per my YouTube guru, JimTheCarGuy.

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country 251k miles
81 Posts
This seems to be a zombie thread?

I bought a used car from a "reputable" national chain but the oil drain plug was impacted on. The head rounded off when I tried to remove it. I too bought a bolt extractor socket set so I could remove the drain plug. The extractor worked like a charm.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,142 Posts
I too bought a bolt extractor socket set so I could remove the drain plug. The extractor worked like a charm.
I obtained one of those after 'fighting' with various pieces of hardware over the years. :p😈

But then Murphy's Law came into play: Haven't needed to use it yet! :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Jeepman
21 - 40 of 41 Posts