The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Oil filter adapter gasket replacement

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ejlviking 
#1 ·
Not seeing much info about this task on this forum or other places. Youtube has a useless 6 year old video. Not many people seem to know this part exists - I certainly did not until recently. I had been putting up with what looked like a leaking oil pan gasket. I fixed it about 3k miles ago, which did clear out most of the leaking and oil consumption of the van. But there are still droplets that come down from the filter itself. I had noted this previously, and made sure to the scrape the mating surface clean and torqued the new Mopar filter down to spec'd 15 ft-lbs. Still a slow but steady leak.

Photos show an INSANE amount of gunk build-up around the oil filter adapter. I will be replacing this coming week and wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips or how-to's? If not I'll follow up with a how-to of my own.

Info:
OEM part number: 04648991AB https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/Dod...T-Oil-Filter-Adapter/42186433/04648991AB.html
Fel-Pro part number: 71239

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel
Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
What year/engine? Do you have an oil cooler connection there?

#3 ·
My mistake, it is a 2006 3.3L. I am not sure if there is an oil cooler... I don't think there is.

#9 ·
It's all gunk. I could see how you would think it's rust protection and, haha, I've been ignoring the slow leak because I consider it "self-installing undercarriage protection".

In reality it is years of road dirt mucked up with the leaking oil. At least it better be, otherwise it will be a real PITA to remove the parts....

#5 · (Edited)
At 228K, I replaced my oil filter adapter gasket on my 05 DGCV 3.3L after oil was appearing on the base of the oil filter.
Some repair notes (specific to the 05 DGCV 3.3L w/o an oil cooler):
  1. Oil pressure sensor replacement:
    • I replaced the oil pressure sensor first since on my 05 DGCV it is screwed into the oil filter adapter housing above the oil filter & it is the more common leaker
    • On my 05 DGCV (your 2010 will be different), I installed the Standard PS287 (RockAuto), 3/8-18 NPT fitting, which leaked within 1 year. Recommend that you purchase a Mopar version for both better quality and OP accuracy.
  2. Oil filter adapter gasket replacement:
    • I replaced the oil filter adapter gasket second after replacing the oil pressure sensor... i.e.: after oil continued to appear on the base of the oil filter
    • On my 05 DGCV (your 2010 will be different), I installed the FEL-PRO 73042 (RockAuto, $4.80, https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...430653,engine,oil+filter+adapter+gasket,10649)
    • Note that on the 05 DGCVs there are 3 bolts on the oil filter adapter
      • The radiator fan obstructs your view from the front when you are underneath the car, so that only the 2 underside bolts are easily visible
      • The 3rd bolt is visible from above or with a mirror to see the topside from underneath
  3. Installation of a mechanical oil pressure gauge in combination with the OEM OP sensor w/ dash light
    • In order to diagnose my OP issues, I decided to also install some temporary plumbing into the oil pressure sensor's fitting to support both an underhood mechanical oil pressure gauge in combination with the OEM OP sensor w/ dash light

#8 ·
Some repair notes (specific to the 05 DGCV 3.3L w/o an oil cooler):
Thank you! Thank you for taking the time to create this how-to. It is very well organized. I will use this info and I am sure that any others looking to replace this part in the future will find it useful as well.

Reactions: jerseyhilltopper
#6 ·
Not seeing much info about this task on this forum or other places. Youtube has a useless 6 year old video. Not many people seem to know this part exists - I certainly did not until recently. I had been putting up with what looked like a leaking oil pan gasket. I fixed it about 3k miles ago, which did clear out most of the leaking and oil consumption of the van. But there are still droplets that come down from the filter itself. I had noted this previously, and made sure to the scrape the mating surface clean and torqued the new Mopar filter down to spec'd 15 ft-lbs. Still a slow but steady leak.

Photos show an INSANE amount of gunk build-up around the oil filter adapter. I will be replacing this coming week and wondering if anyone has done this before and has any tips or how-to's? If not I'll follow up with a how-to of my own.

Info:
OEM part number: 04648991AB https://www.moparpartsinc.com/p/Dod...T-Oil-Filter-Adapter/42186433/04648991AB.html
Fel-Pro part number: 71239

View attachment 56486 View attachment 56487
I watched the video on YouTube and it was very easy to understand and it showed exactly what to do. Sorry I don't understand your problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I watched the video on YouTube and it was very easy to understand and it showed exactly what to do. Sorry I don't understand your problem
I suppose that without me linking the video I found nor you sending a link to the video you found, there is not much to discuss. The video I found started with the part already removed, and then he forgot to hit record when he installed the part back. That is all I am looking for.

#12 ·
I had a similar issue. Replaced the oil pan gasket and noticed leaking from the oil pump gasket directly on top of the filter. I had read somewhere on a forum about subtle differences in the replacement gaskets, not being exact fit or missing a hole, but it wasn't clear which one I should get for my 2006 3.8L. I actually took it to the dealer and had them do it (no comments please lol). It was really not that expensive. It's easy to get to so labor was not a huge hit. Has not leaked since. 174K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.