The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
I used Wix filters for some time. One day, a CEL and a P 06DD code showed up. I was told that a sensor needed to be replaced. Since my oil pressure was OK, I kept runing my vehicle like that. On my last trip to Mexico, I had to take my vehicle to the dealer to replace my transmission.

Without asking me, they did a complete scan, they replaced oil and filter, then told me that I had the wrong filter, was told not to use any other brand, but Mopar. The CEL was still on when I left the shop, but was told to way some 200-300 miles and the CEL should go away. Well, I forgot about it, but when I was close to home I noticed the CEL was gone.

So, my question is, what could be possible differentbeyween those two brands that would cause that code?

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are some great comparisons of filters over at BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I would love to see a new (I have one in my garage as we speak) WIX 100010 and a new Mopar - maybe the same unit ?? ....

Everyone knows the car companies don't "make" oil filters - they have them made by filter companies.

Simply put, the most fine/dense filter will also be the least flowing filter - an engine may starve or run in bypass under demanding conditions.

It's always a compromise and I like to go with freer flow.
I don't want 100% efficiency (minimal flow)... I want good flow and a filter good enough to keep the "chunks" out. :biggrin:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
There are some great comparisons of filters over at BITOG http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I would love to see a new (I have one in my garage as we speak) WIX 100010 and a new Mopar - maybe the same unit ?? ....

Everyone knows the car companies don't "make" oil filters - they have them made by filter companies.

Simply put, the most fine/dense filter will also be the least flowing filter - an engine may starve or run in bypass under demanding conditions.

It's always a compromise and I like to go with freer flow.
I don't want 100% efficiency (minimal flow)... I want good flow and a filter good enough to keep the "chunks" out. :biggrin:
Yes, and every one knows that, whatever company makes the filters for Mopar is not allowed to make the exact filter to be sold under any other brand, so changes had to be made.

Also, starvation was not the issue in my case, oil pressure was always good at any engine speed, so it has to be something else.

·
Registered
555 Posts
"whatever company makes the filters for Mopar is not allowed to make the exact filter to be sold under any other brand"

Why would you say that ?? Mopar may very well just buy an off the shelf filter from Wix/Fram etc and have MOPAR screened on it

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great pics JC.

I stick with the OE Mopar filters for both vans :cool:

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
Why would you say that ?? Mopar may very well just buy an off the shelf filter from Wix/Fram etc and have MOPAR screened on it
Yes, it could be. Maybe Wix designed that filter and put it on the shelf, hoping some car manufacturer desires to design an engine that would fit that filter. If so, then they got very lucky, as far as I know, that filter would only fit 3.6 L Chrysler engines (including Routan, of course).

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,159 Posts
.... I should count the pleats in each filter to see who has more.
Not only that, deep of each fold should also be under consideration, as well as filter media/size used.

Can you tell any great difference between those two?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not only that, deep of each fold should also be under consideration, as well as filter media/size used.

Can you tell any great difference between those two?
I would have to cut the media in the wix. I can do that next time I change it. I cut open the media on then factory fill filter and I found a few metal flakes trapped in between the pleats

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hot deal on oil filters: Purolator has a rebate going until 08/31/2021. Purolator One 36296 gets $4 off; Boss gets $5 and regular filter $3. Got three at Runnings (US store) of the One for $6.99 ea., so with rebate, price drops to $2.99 ea.. These filters state right on the item that made in South Korea. They look like well made and I have always had decent experience with Purolator. This part number is for the later 3.6 Pentastar.

Walmart Super Tech: undergoing some change, evidently. Prices up, but mileage "guarantee" up also. Got some ST 16s for my 2000 DGC for under $3 (these may be discontinued soon?), but filters for 2020 DGC are now over $5 (they list the old number for the under $3 filters as "out of stock"..

MP

·
Read Only
0 Posts
"whatever company makes the filters for Mopar is not allowed to make the exact filter to be sold under any other brand"

This is what hyundai does with Mann filters.
Even the aftermarket Mann oil filters for our santa fe are made in Korea, same factory as oem units.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts