The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting tired of this, now oil light flashing with ding bell, then it shut off and no light, checked the oil and no problem, recently worked the heads, new valves and seals and all gaskets.

3.0 mitsu V6 2000 Voyager 129,000 miles on it 2000 miles since worked heads

Will take the van to oil change to see if possible low oil level. Kind of odd:ask_wsign

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Im getting tired of this, now oil light flashing with ding bell, then it shut off and no light, checked the oil and no problem, recently worked the heads, new valves and seals and all gaskets.

Will take the van to oil change to see if possible low oil level. Kind of odd:ask_wsign
With the engine OFF, Just pull the oil dipstick out, wipe it off, put it back in the tube, pull it out, again, and see where the oil level is on the dipstick. Quick, simple. If you're low, add some oil (1 quart will fill it from the low line, to the full line). If you don't see any oil on the stick when you pull it out again, you're really low. You could also have a bad oil pressure sending unit. They DO go BAD, usually leaking prior to going bad. Just replace it, or get it replaced. Cheap, easy to do. It's located next to the oil filter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, will do, by the way could it be that maybe after i cleaned from under the engine with degreaser that it could do this, my under engine is clean and spotless dry now.

·
Latent car nut
9,342 Posts

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
thanks, will do, by the way could it be that maybe after i cleaned from under the engine with degreaser that it could do this, my under engine is clean and spotless dry now.
Hmmmm, are you sure you didn't simply knock the wire off the sending unit? Check the sending unit and see if the wire is secure, or loose.

·
Banned
191 Posts

why take to oil change to see if level is low? if u use a real oil pressure gauge, u can see if the oil pressure is correct or low. maybe you just have bad sensor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just came back from my house on the van, zero lights, no noise engine, didnt even do noise before with light of oil on, my wife says she was driving it, i brought it to the office with 90 degree outside and heavy traffic stop and go no problem. I poured half a quart of oil and nothing diffrent, will monitor it for the remaining 3 weeks due to possible buyer, wife is affraid to drive it, with the 3 kids and alone in traffic so she took the other car a 2008 Kia Spectra hatch, go figure, tried as much as I could but seems the van doesnt want to be in the family, ive spent almost $4000 in repairs in last year so I guess will look for one in better shape.

·
Registered
38 Posts
noisy lifters i think

Is the 3.0 mitsu just a noisy engine, I came back home no problems whatsover, I do think the engine is noisy more than I recall but dont know. Anyone that can enlighten me on this. Oil is almost brown transparent not black, it is on the full level of the dipstick and car drives fine. I am finally giving up on it

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tonight coming home on the minivan with no trafic the oil light flashed only when braking, that means oil level but how much more oil do you guys think , maybe Ill just change the oil . Its already have 2700 miles on it.

any advice

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but did you do what AZ suggested and check your oil level or did you simply dump oil in and hope for the best? Check your oil level. IF it is low, that is probably your problem. If it is not, I would check to see if the connector to your sending unit is loose. You could even have soneone watch the light as you reach under and wiggle it. If the conenctor is not loose or possibly a broken wire (wiggle the wires too), then I would replace the sending unit. It's cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
of course I checked oil level, it was in full level, however after i put a quart in the engine now is quieter unless the dipstick is not accuarate.

anyway today came to work and no oil light even on hard braking

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would still go the extra effort and check the connector on the sending unit. it's possible that the connection is intermittent if it's not on snug. That would account for the flakey readings. I seriously doubt that it is an oil pressure issue. If your pump was bad, there'd be a lot more indication than the oil light (crunching, tapping, etc)

and an interesting comment about the dipstick. Did you get this van secondhand? I know that I broke my dipstick while working on my engine and had to replace it. It is possible that a previous owner may have just thrown any junkyard dipstick in if he was selling the van anyway.

If someone has the same model, perhaps they could take a quick measurement (full mark to cap) and you could compare just for sanity sake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it has a replcement engine prior to my purchase of van, I recently worked the heads, new valve, new guides and all gaskets, have barely used the van 2700 after engine work, no cylinder marks when heads where off, no oil burning, maybe after worked the engine not filled properly, it did not show any sounds now. i didnt even move the sending unit or touched it. I even bough an original mopar filter mo90 for next oil change

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Changed the oil, put a original MOPAR oil filter, put new oil and still when braking oil light flashes, turns off when accelerate, turns on if road isnt level, any ideas.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it possible that you do not have the correct dipstick for your van? Perhaps it has been substituted for one that shows a low level as the proper level? Could you find someone who has a similar van and use their dipstick to check your level? or perhaps a dealer has a dipstick that is correct for your model that you can try.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see it only happens when I brake, if I accelerate is shuts off and some time its standing still idle and turns barely on and off. Like for example today I drove and no oil light on. only when driving on a hill down. Will clean sending unit.

thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did the light come on or flash like its doing now before the head work was done???

What was the reason for head work???

Have you inspect the wires from the sending unit to the main harness for bare or broken wires????

Check the oil pan for any dents to make sure the oil pump pickup screen has not been damaged or bent out of place.

I would hook a mechanical gauge so you can moniter oil pressure while driving and braking.

When you did the Head work was there a lot of sludge in the engine that could have partially plugged the oil screen???

just trying to help

·
Registered
894 Posts
Is it possible that the Oil stainer fell off or is missing in the engine. causing the pump to pump oil too high up in the oil pan. and suck air.
Hank

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.