The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to replace the gaskets for my transmission and oil pan and was wondering if most of you all use a torque wrench or just tighten them up until they feel right. Any suggestions about types of gaskets would be much appreciated too. I've read that the felpro ones were good. I've had success with the valve cover sets. I dunno if I should goop the transmission or not. It's gooped right now. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I go by feel, but that feel varies between the iron engine block and the soft aluminum trans. It depends on your experience I guess. And the felpro gaskets for the engine work extremely well. I have their oil pan and valve cover gaskets on my van and they are leak free years later.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If it's time for your van to have a tranny fluid change/filter replacement, then fine for that gasket. But on the oil pan gasket, if it's just weeping and you're not removing it for another reason, you might want to try this. Just snug up the oil pan bolts, using the spec torque and tightening pattern. You probably won't be able to reach one or two, but don't worry about that. I did this on my van last year, and a couple of other vehicles since, and all the drips have been stopped. I don't know how long they will continue to hold up, but have no problem giving them the opportunity :). As long as you don't go past the spec torque, this is a very fast and easy thing to try, with a relatively low chance of causing any new problems.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I go by feel since the torque specs are quite low and hard to set on a click wrench and I don't have room to see my older "bending bar w/ pointer" torque wrench. I have tried going by torque, but usually stop early if I see the gasket squishing out at the bolt holes. Last one I did was a 60's 904 tranny. When I rebuilt my 2 Mopar trannys (A413 & A604) 2 yrs ago, installing the pan w/ tranny out of car, I recall trying to go by torque specs, but that seemed too high and I didn't want to risk stripping the aluminum threads or squashing the gasket, so ended up using "feel" w/ a 3/8" socket wrench, fairly tight with 2 hands. No leaks since.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I suggest RTV for the trans. As far as I have seen, there is no gasket as high of a quality for the trans pan as the felpro engine gaskets. Plus the amount of torque needed to crush those gaskets may strip the soft trans out. The RTV never leaks if done properly as it fills all voids and deformations in the pan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you cvguy, Bill, and Andy for your very helpful advice. I bought a 1/4" tourqe wrench that measured in inch lbs instead of ft lbs (Thanks for setting me straight on the other post Jeepman! :) ) set it to 105 inch lbs and torqued the oil pan to spec. They all moved about 1/8 of a turn but 2 took a half of one! It's been a week now it it's not longer leaking. :) Now I have to figure out how the oil is getting on my filter. That small tourqe wrench really made the job easy. I picked it up at Harbor freight. I remeber looking for one about 5 years ago that measure in inch lbs and they were hard to find under 3 figures. This one was $19. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-2696.html

The transmission pan is air tight but I have no idea how the filter is in there. I have a hard time trusting anyone with my transmissions. I had the dealer "service" transmission on my truck one time and it had to be replaced 3 months later. Does anyone know if they make a pan the has a drain plug in it? Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The transmission pan is air tight but I have no idea how the filter is in there. I have a hard time trusting anyone with my transmissions. I had the dealer "service" transmission on my truck one time and it had to be replaced 3 months later. Does anyone know if they make a pan the has a drain plug in it? Thanks again for all your help.
Dorman makes a pan with a drain plug. I just put one on my '05 last time I did a drain and filter change. Then a couple of days later just popped the plug to drain and refill and I figure I have pretty clean fluid now. I got mine from Amazon. Don't forget to transfer the magnet in the bottom of the pan when putting the new one in. I almost forgot.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
..... I have a hard time trusting anyone with my transmissions. I had the dealer "service" transmission on my truck one time and it had to be replaced 3 months later. .....
They probably power flushed it - something which is definitely in the forbidden zone for our vans, and you are on the right track in wanting to do this job yourself. You can use the forum search and find a couple of very detailed threads about dropping the tranny pan and changing the fluid/filter. I recommend that you spend an hour or so reading through all of that information, because the RTV gasket presents some challenges which you want to know about in advance. It's not a really difficult job, but the stuff that's already been written up here will help you get it done in the best possible way.
Glad to hear you had success tightening up the oil pan bolts :thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts