The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on doing a coolant flush this morning.
After refilling the radiator, I got into the vehicle to start it up.
When I did, the "CHECK GAGES" light came on, and when I looked to the right I saw that the oil pressure gauge had not gone up at all. The other gauges were all working fine, and the engine didn't really seem to run any differently though.

It was working fine when I drove home from work last night, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
I rechecked the oil level (I just changed it three days ago) and it was still halfway between min and max.
I also looked under the oil filler cap when it was running, and the rocker arms looked like they had a decent amount of oil on them.

My question is, based on the above information, is it more likely to be a problem with the oil pump or the oil pressure sender (or something else)?

And also, where is the oil pressure sender on the 3.3L engine?

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
I was working on doing a coolant flush this morning.
After refilling the radiator, I got into the vehicle to start it up.
When I did, the "CHECK GAGES" light came on, and when I looked to the right I saw that the oil pressure gauge had not gone up at all. The other gauges were all working fine, and the engine didn't really seem to run any differently though.

It was working fine when I drove home from work last night, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
I rechecked the oil level (I just changed it three days ago) and it was still halfway between min and max.
I also looked under the oil filler cap when it was running, and the rocker arms looked like they had a decent amount of oil on them.

My question is, based on the above information, is it more likely to be a problem with the oil pump or the oil pressure sender (or something else)?

And also, where is the oil pressure sender on the 3.3L engine?
I'm guessing the coolant flush process knocked the sensor wire off of the oil pressure sender.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
You may have bumped the sender when you changed the oil and it took until now to come loose.
Or if you dropped the lower hose off of the water pump to drain the coolant.
The sender is right next to the oil filter.

PS: you likely don't have a knock sensor like in this pic, my 94 doesn't either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
It was the sender. I verified by having someone watch the gauge when I moved it.
The plastic part of it was very loose and wobbly, and it actually broke off completely when I was just trying the get the electrical connector off of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a new oil pressure sender today and was putting it in.
Got it most of the way in, and now I'm not sure how tight it needs to be.
I couldn't find a torque spec for it anywhere.

There is still a gap, about maybe 3 millimeters between the part that the socket goes onto and the engine block.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
There will be a gap. The threads are tapered pipe thread.
Tighten it like you would a spark plug, about 20 lbs.

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Be careful with those aftermarket senders. I had one blow out on startup and lost a few quarts in a matter of seconds. I've had a handful that never read remotely close to what they should.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,626 Posts
Be careful with those aftermarket senders. I had one blow out on startup and lost a few quarts in a matter of seconds. I've had a handful that never read remotely close to what they should.
I believe it was just your bad luck. Seen some (OEM and aftermarket) leaking, but not that bad. Bad reading, could be but not easy to tell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.
Apparently I got it tight enough the first time.
Didn't strip the threads and it didn't blow out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine used to flicker. Turns out that the shielding on the cables were basically melted off. Seperated the cables but not the pressure doesnt rise. Gonna go to a scrap yard to scoop up. the sensor and new plug. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts