The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 3.3l

If the car has been off for a few minutes at least, and then started, the oil light stays illuminated.

I shut it down and then try again. Oil light goes out.

Occasionally the oil light doesn't come on during the bulb check part of starting. But will illuminate after start. Again, I shut it down. Restart it, and no longer illuminated.

Varying engine rpms does not bring up a pressure warning.

This vans got 254,000 miles now and the wire to the sending unit looks questionable as heck.

The engine has always made marble noises. No knock. Just valve train ticks.

I believe the sending unit is faulty since a simple restart gets rid of the problem.

·
Registered
301 Posts
2007 3.3l

If the car has been off for a few minutes at least, and then started, the oil light stays illuminated.

I shut it down and then try again. Oil light goes out.

Occasionally the oil light doesn't come on during the bulb check part of starting. But will illuminate after start. Again, I shut it down. Restart it, and no longer illuminated.

Varying engine rpms does not bring up a pressure warning.

This vans got 254,000 miles now and the wire to the sending unit looks questionable as heck.

The engine has always made marble noises. No knock. Just valve train ticks.

I believe the sending unit is faulty since a simple restart gets rid of the problem.
My '05 3.3 did exactly that for a while. Changing the sending unit fixed the problem immediately.....until the sending unit exploded dumping the oil out at a horrific rate. Then the replacement unit also failed and now the latest one has been good for a few thousand KM. I carry a socket and brass plug in the console now, because next time this happens they are all going in the bin, the brass plug goes in and I'll tape over the bloody light. I have visually observed plenty of oil being delivered to the valve train, so the issue is at least mostly poor quality sending units, despite them being brand name items.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My '05 3.3 did exactly that for a while. Changing the sending unit fixed the problem immediately.....until the sending unit exploded dumping the oil out at a horrific rate. Then the replacement unit also failed and now the latest one has been good for a few thousand KM. I carry a socket and brass plug in the console now, because next time this happens they are all going in the bin, the brass plug goes in and I'll tape over the bloody light. I have visually observed plenty of oil being delivered to the valve train, so the issue is at least mostly poor quality sending units, despite them being brand name items.
Well the 4th sending unit in a little over a year is now leaking badly, after a few months in service. It's a Standard brand, the 2nd one they sold me to fail, the other two were whatever the local auto store had available, both from China. I believe the Standard brand is produced there as well. They all looked very much alike.
I guess I'll install the brass plug I bought for this purpose and suffer the indignity of having a OP red light on.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I suggest an OEM/Mopar replacement; the aftermarket stuff doesn't seem to hold up (as you have noticed). Local shop replaced leaking sender with aftermarket. After 2 more replacements on their dime (within months), they put in a Mopar sender which been good for a very long time (knock on wood).

·
Super Moderator
30,166 Posts
Well the 4th sending unit in a little over a year is now leaking badly, after a few months in service. It's a Standard brand, the 2nd one they sold me to fail, the other two were whatever the local auto store had available, both from China. I believe the Standard brand is produced there as well. They all looked very much alike.
I guess I'll install the brass plug I bought for this purpose and suffer the indignity of having a OP red light on.
Go for a Mopar sensor, they last a long time in my experience. I had a Standard Motors Product oil pressure sensor fail me, on a 2007 DGC, just after the one year warranty expired. Wrote that Company off my list.
Don't overtighten the sensor, they have a tapered thread.

Reactions: ggoose
1 - 9 of 9 Posts