The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 T&C with 155K mi. Oil was changed about 2K miles ago.

Today after driving about 10 miles coming home from an errand, the oil pressure light came on. Thinking I was low on oil, I pulled over into a parking lot of a store that I knew sold motor oil, and checked the dipstick. Dip stick showed about 1/2 quart low, still in the safe zone. Checked dipstick several times just to be sure.

After maybe 10 minutes with the engine off, and seeing I wasn't low on oil, I started the engine and continued on home. The oil pressure light did not come back on.

I've only had this van since last fall, a replacement for my 2000 DGC Sport, so I don't have much personal history with it yet.

Does anyone have an idea what might be going on here? In all the years I've been driving, and all the vehicles I've had, I've never before had a low oil pressure light come on.

Is it practical or worth considering installing an oil pressure gauge? If yes, where would I connect it at the engine, and where would I mount it inside the cabin?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Yes, you can replace the oil pressure sender, and maybe the problem will go away.

The other thing is to install a temporary oil pressure gauge, and see what the pressure actually is.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,617 Posts
Let me guess, it came on while idling at a stop? My 2000 T&C did that. Replaced the pressure sender with a Mopar one, and never had the problem again. Van maybe had 180,000 miles on it at the time. When I unplugged the sender, there was a little oil in the electrical part which I read is a sign of failure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Road Ripper. Noticed light on while driving, so can't say specifically when it came on.

Your reply confirms my suspicion that the problem is due to a sending unit issue, and nothing more serious.

I just might wait to see if it happens again soon, and if it does, look into having the sending unit replaced.

Thanks again.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,814 Posts
Sending units are cheap. probably cheaper than fabricating a 'T" fitting and mechanical pressure gauge.

As Road Ripper said, pay a few bucks more for a Mopar sender. Aftermarket is hit-or-miss.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do. It's watch and wait for now, but I'm pretty confident a new Mopar sending uint is in the offing.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
23,282 Posts
Your sensor is becoming sensitive, Replace it with a Mopar unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Same problem. Replaced the sensor with a new one, and all has been fine since. A tip of advice when changing it is to get a proper deep wall socket. Would be a good time to do an oil change while under there, since the sensor is beside the oil filter. With the filter out of the way, there's a little more room to work, and to see where the sensor goes back in.

·
Super Moderator
23,282 Posts
A deep socket works well for sure. If there's not enough room to insert the handle, you can grab/turn the socket with a pair of vice grips. Same for tightening.

It's a tapered thread so once loosened, it's easy to take out.

Make sure you understand the electrical connection and how it works. Sometimes it's better seen from the top than from underneath. Clean it up so you can see. When tightening up, locate the electrical connection so that it is easier to get at next time.

Go with Mopar. A Standard Motors Product one, I used, just lasted a little while beyond its one year warranty.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
…. I just might wait to see if it happens again soon, and if it does, look into having the sending unit replaced. ...
Waiting on this is not a good choice IMO. As already mentioned, these senders often start leaking oil when they begin to head South. Leaking oil was how I discovered the bad sender in our '05 - no oil light came on in my case. And I'll also add that the oil was a drip - not a real fast one, but definitely much more than seeping/weeping. So given that it's at least fairly likely that the sender in your van is leaking oil, that's something I'd never want to defer, and have it possibly turn into a trashed engine. I don't know if these senders can 'blow' and turn into a fast leak, but why ever give one that's already leaking a chance to do that.

Replacing the sender on our vans is a fairly easy job, if you're into DIY, and Autozone loans the sender socket if you don't own and want to buy one. But if you're not a DIYer, then an indy shop would probably charge $75-100 to replace the sender. I recommend getting this done ASAP, but as always your van, your choice.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I'm not worried about 'right away' but then again... If it is showing any signs of oil leak / seep, then it is inevitable that it must be replaced, so why wait.

The oil light (or gauge) is simply an indicator of low oil pressure. If you hear noisy lifters, stop driving until something like that can be evaluated / corrected.

If you replace the oil sending unit, I'd rather use a thread sealant than teflon tape. Tape can be used, but there is a right way and a wrong way. A US Navy steam fitter on nuclear submarines taught me once to use both teflon tape and Rectoseal thread sealant. He said it'll likely never leak and you can always get it apart in the future.

I'd use Permatex #2 as a thread sealant.

·
Super Moderator
23,282 Posts
I'm not worried about 'right away' but then again... If it is showing any signs of oil leak / seep, then it is inevitable that it must be replaced, so why wait.

The oil light (or gauge) is simply an indicator of low oil pressure. If you hear noisy lifters, stop driving until something like that can be evaluated / corrected.

If you replace the oil sending unit, I'd rather use a thread sealant than teflon tape. Tape can be used, but there is a right way and a wrong way. A US Navy steam fitter on nuclear submarines taught me once to use both teflon tape and Rectoseal thread sealant. He said it'll likely never leak and you can always get it apart in the future.

I'd use Permatex #2 as a thread sealant.

They come with a sealant on them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts