The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my van back from the STEALership... My left power door would not unlock or power slide. Also the rear hatch was only opening with the key, the motor turned but the gears did not engage. They replaced the rear motor assembly, the door lock solenoid, and the sliding door wiring harness. They charged me $945.25 before tax.... A bit excessive I think. They were not polite, not once was I addressed by name. I requested a state inspection sticker which they gladly charged me for but did not put one on. I had to return the following day ( 20 miles round trip), and the only apology given was as I was driving off, an insincere, low volume, quick, "sorry about dat" To top it off, now my rear hatch will not open or close manually... The next time I need service I am driving the extra 25 miles to a different STEALership in my mother's home town...:angrya:

·
5000 Club
5,744 Posts
A sad story heard far too often. No doubt the labor charges ate up over half of your bill. If you're intent on staying away from them I would make a beeline for the BBB website and file a complaint. Might try Angieslist as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Report them to Chrysler. Chrysler needs to know about Dealerships causing damage to their "perception of service".

·
Registered
801 Posts
Report them to Chrysler. Chrysler needs to know about Dealerships causing damage to their "perception of service".
My thoughts also

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Hire a 10 year old to throw a rock at the service manager and then run away. Perfect revenge.

It is too bad that dealers like to screw people over though. Sorry about the issues.

·
5000 Club
5,744 Posts
Yes Chrysler needs to know but like most burocracys, change would be lethargic if it happens at all. The BBB would let Joe Blow living from paycheck to paycheck feeding a family know right away.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Yes Chrysler needs to know but like most burocracys, change would be lethargic if it happens at all. The BBB would let Joe Blow living from paycheck to paycheck feeding a family know right away.
I had the Chrysler Dealer, that I bought my Jeep from, provide great sevice for awhile and then it went downhill real fast. I even talked with the Service Manager about it and advised that they had some issues to address (trying to help them improve the service quality, I said) and after not making much headway, told him that I wasn't having the same hassles with the Chrysler Dealer that serviced my Van. He said "better get yor Jeep serviced there then". I couldn't believe it but took his advice. I never went back.
Come to find out lots of others were having problems as well and the Dealership was apparently going through some kind of management shakeup at the time. So, one never knows what's behind the unexpected poor service. Chrysler needs to find out though. They can't improve perceptions unless they know what the perceptions are.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Find a highly rated independent shop. I subscribed to Angieslist for just that reason. Read the customer reviews. Select the best shop.

In many shops the service manager is under intense pressure to make his revenue numbers. Many will revert to extortion to meet the goal.
I had a friend who upon getting a service advisor job was told by the owner, "you better average $600 per work order or you'll be out of here in 1 month." He quit.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Did you pay by credit card. Stop payment, as the service rendered was not satisfactory. You'll have to give them a chance to make good, but I assume that's all you want.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you pay by credit card. Stop payment, as the service rendered was not satisfactory. You'll have to give them a chance to make good, but I assume that's all you want.
I payed cash... Unfortunately I suffer from extreme social phobia, so creating much of a stir about this is nearly impossible for me.. It took me months to get up the courage to go there in the first place.. Thanks to all of you who commented, it feels good to know there are people on my side..:biggrin:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Am I missing something? Why did you accept a vehicle (and pay for) that had problems? Take it back and make them fix it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
From now on use a credit card for large purchases, as it gives you a little clout when the service/purchase is not satisfactory. You can always pay off the card when it comes due so as not to incur interest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My thoughts also
Why don't they just understand business?

Everyone knows you pay a premium price for Dealership Service, but if they just went the extra mile to repair the vehicle like it was there own personal one there wouldn't be so many bad tastes in the mouths of so many consumers. The bad taste of being charged a premium price would be so less prevelent if the workmanship was top notch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why another 'stealer'ship?

Why consider even another dealership. Best to go to a reputable (are there any?) independent shop to get your current issue fixed. Plus, Id advise you to get quotes/estimates prior to agreeing to have the job done.

Also, the less you speak up due to social anxiety and by staying meek will do nothing to solve the issues with the company. This only induces another attempt to pass the buck on down the line so some other unsuspecting innocent gets treated like you have. So why speak behind their backs and issue name calling (eg. stealerships), when the issue could have been resolved one on one via simple communication.
Best not to ridicule something or some process when the issue is really with one's inability to solve the situation by speaking directly to it. The more there are of you, the more legitimate it is for them to provide such low ended service/workmanship since they make more money off of you then individuals who actually do speak up/out.

If the workmanship is crap, and you know it, then speak to it. With regards to price, that's more subjective as youve decided to pay for bad service, if not bad workmanship. That is your fault, not the dealer.

Also. It seems to be that the louder you raise your voice in dealership (esp. with other customers around) re: the service or workmanship, the better one seems to get treated. Dealerships like the meek and comprising.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... if it were only that simple... Anyway, thanks to most of you for lending an ear...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Acouple of years ago I took my 92 GV into the local dealer with a backfire during acceleration(before I knew what a coil pack was). Their "lead mechanic" allowed me to watch him scan the codes. Then he put my van in forward gear, held the brake down, and floored the accellerator. Is that common to test it? He then replaced a few things and charged me $455. It seemed like a lot but I paid it. As soon as I left the dealer it was backfiring just the same as before. I immediately went back in and talked to the service manager who then wrote me a $100 credit for my next service there. Of course I never went back. The next day I went to a friend's mechanic who then replaced my coil pack for $50 total which solved the backfiring completely. That is my Stealership story.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My worst Stealer story concerned a serpentine belt on my Lincoln Town Car.
Every year before going on vacation I'd do all the usual service and change the serpentine belt. The dealer wanted over $60 for the belt, so I went to NAPA and got one much cheaper. I installed it and took off on our annual 14 hour drive to WDW and my Mom's condo. The second time I stopped for gas I heard a loud rumbling coming from the engine bay. I looked closely, but couldn't find the source of the ugly, loud noise. Since we were only a few hours away, and the car still ran, we just continued on our slightly less merry way. I sweated a possible roadside problem for the rest of the trip, finally ending up in Venice, Florida. I left wife and kid at Mom's and went to the Venice Lincoln dealer just a few blocks from the condo. They determined I needed a $500 ~ $600 "retrofit" to the engine to make the noise go away. I declined.
BTW, the noise was only heard when stopped.
You guessed it, the serpentine belt was a "gator Back" of slightly larger size. It was tight when installed, but over a few hundred miles, stretched and made amazing - and expensive sounding - noises.
Dealers.......you gott'a buy from them but you sure don't have to have them do your repairs.
You would be surprised to find out how many simple problems you can find and fix with a copy of the manual. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
BTW, the noise was only heard when stopped.
You guessed it, the serpentine belt was a "gator Back" of slightly larger size. It was tight when installed, but over a few hundred miles, stretched and made amazing - and expensive sounding - noises.
Dealers.......you gott'a buy from them but you sure don't have to have them do your repairs.
You would be surprised to find out how many simple problems you can find and fix with a copy of the manual. :biggrin:
What did you do to fix it, just replace the belt??

Beware of mechanics "working by the job". They are better at "job creation" than politicians.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FML... My tailgate quit functioning today!!!! I hear the motor running, but the tailgate does not move...:nut:

·
Senior Global Moderator
2,800 Posts
As in it won't lift at all, or won't lift with the motor?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts