The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, yeah, 90....Lol. There is a speed range in the mid 70s where it can't hold 6th very well but after kick down it wants to go back to 6th.

Also, if you did ATL-NYC and stayed on I-85/95 the whole way it's pretty flat highway. Not like western Virginia (Roanoke, Blacksburg) and a bit west/north of Philly (Scranton, Wilks-Barre etc.)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm in a similar boat considering whether to take my '09 Gen 5 van with 189k miles on a Atlanta - Baltimore - Atlanta road trip next week, versus my car with 67k miles (and 40+ mpgs). Right now i'm leaning toward driving the van for added space even if it's $100 more in fuel.

There are several great suggestions up-thread, some perhaps a little over the top in my view. But I would add this $0.02 given current heat wave. I made a similar drive Atlanta to/from upstate New York about 6-7 years ago and ended up losing the transmission with 105k miles in Virginia. It was early July and actual ambient temps were low 100s. Not sure if you are planning I-79/I-77 or I-81/I-77 routing (or some other), but driving interstates through the hilly terrain in the Pennsylvania/Virginia/West Virginia areas you'll want to be careful on the van downshifting and going back and forth between 6th and 5th. Just pay attention if the van can't hold 6th. Either slow down a bit so it can hold 6th, or use the manual shifter to hold 5th until you reach the top of the long inclines. Don't just set the cruise control at 75 and let the transmission go back and forth between kick-down and upshifting and cooking your transmission. Don't be paranoid, but just pay attention to what the transmission is doing when driving through the quasi-mountainous stretches. (Our friends in Colorado and Utah may now proceed with raucous laughter....)
We will most likely go I81 and then crossover to I95 . Wont be doing I79 thru the mountains this time . We came back that way last time in April and it was a little quicker but i also was driving a 2020 Durango with 30000 miles on it . The 8 speed in that is pretty good at keeping it in the gear it needs to be in without a lot of downshifting . I would have to figure out the manual shifter on the 6 speed , dont think I have ever really used that feature . On the plus side the transmission fluid in it only has about 10000 miles on it since it was serviced and seems to be shiffting good or at least as good the that 6 speed gets . It is a long way from the ZF designed 8 speed in the Durango . But yeah it has been very warm down there in the Florida area , in the 90's so hopefully it will be ok and we wont be sitting in a lot of standstill traffic on I95 specially around Fredericksburg in Virginia where there is a lot of construction right now .

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would have to figure out the manual shifter on the 6 speed , dont think I have ever really used that feature .
Right-Left with gear shifter toggles between automatic and manual modes. Up/down shifts through the different speeds when in manual mode, but you won't need to do that. If you have long incline and it downshifts, paddle the auto-stick to the right to manual mode and it will hold you in whatever "gear" it's in. When ready to go back to 6th at top of incline, just pull the auto-stick to the left back to automatic mode and then it will shift on its own again when ready.

You only need do it if the van won't hold 6th under your normal driving style, and the transmission is shifting a lot back and forth. A lot of shifting will heat up and (can) cook the transmission. As Sienile mentions, some driving styles will hold 6th, or if it downshifts will hold the kickdown for awhile. That is fine.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
22 Posts
This is all very good advice. We are going to Yellowstone in August from north western Washington in our 2010 Routan with 110k. Hoping to shake all bugs out before we leave.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This is all very good advice. We are going to Yellowstone in August from north western Washington in our 2010 Routan with 110k. Hoping to shake all bugs out before we leave.
That one is on the bucket list now that I'm retired . Have a good trip .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good Luck with that Yellowstone Trip. The north end of Yellowstone has had so much flooding that roads are wiped out in some places on the Northern Loop. I understand the northern loop is closed to October. The park is limiting access to odd and even days based on license plates. Check with the park before going to see what is open when you plan to be there.

·
Registered
2010 Routan
22 Posts
Good Luck with that Yellowstone Trip. The north end of Yellowstone has had so much flooding that roads are wiped out in some places on the Northern Loop. I understand the northern loop is closed to October. The park is limiting access to odd and even days based on license plates. Check with the park before going to see what is open when you plan to be there.
We have a reservation so should be ok.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I plan on driving from upstate NY to Florida in a couple of weeks and plan on taking our 2014 DGC with 125000 miles on it . I try to keep up with all the maintenance on it . Just had the oil changed . Tires are good , thermostat was done a little while ago and told them to do the coolant at that time . Also had the tranny fluid done at 110000 miles or so . It is running real good at this point . Should i have any reservations on taking a vehicle with this many miles on a 2500 mile trip ? I know of no issues with it at this point . I even checked to see if the compact spare would come down and it did and the tire was still hard . The car has been pretty decent reliability wise and really the only thing we have had done was the famous oil filter leak issues and a thermostat for a p0128 code . I had the Stellantis shop look it over when they did the oil and they looked at the belt (original) and the hoses and they said they looked fine but probably at some point in the not too distant future to do the belt just on age alone but said it should be ok for this . Any thoughts ?
With my van at around 275k, I drove from St. Louis to northern Indiana and proceeded to take a 17 day trip around Lake Michigan last September. Hit up Lake Huron and the 1/4 eastern part of Lake Superior, driving on sandy back roads including the road to Crisp Point Lighthouse... which is a very legendary rough road. Got props from a few people for navigating it with a van.

It's a '05 that just turned 304k this morning.

Got new tires (because I needed them anyway) and a typical check from my mechanic before I left.

Another trip to praise Stow & Go as I tent camped 8 of those nights and we have STUFF. Took two dogs. It was amazing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts