The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of effect should I expect from this change? :/
I have already seen many spouses on our base's FB page very upset with this and say their vans perform subpar at best with E10.
Thank you in advance!

·
3rd gen > all others
2,715 Posts
Sounds like you'll have the same fuel as here in Minnesota. Gas with ethanol is all I've known in my 23 years of driving. I always wondered why my vehicles could never achieve the rated gas mileage. I think you'll see a 2-4 mpg hit highway, probably a little worse city. This leads to fuel miser tactics, like removing any unnecessary weight and filling the tires to maximum rated pressure.

·
fix it if you can
4,988 Posts
What kind of effect should I expect from this change? :/
You'll be greeting the one armed bandit (the pump) a bit more frequently..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E10_fuel

If you haven't done the switch yet, to avoid (or shorten) 'subpar' performance get your tank down to below 1/4 (go till you see the light if you dare) and then fill up to the top.

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
Sorry, it isn't as bad as everyone says. you'll be fine. There will be a very slight decrease in mileage, but not as bad as reported here.

Enjoy a clean fuel system and cleaner air. No more vapor lock either.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,715 Posts
Then why do people in WA state get so much better gas mileage than me? I have a 85 CelicaSupra in very good tune, and the best MPG I could get average was 23. People with the same cars in WA, with much better gas I imagine, can get 27MPG. I managed to get that ONCE on a long drive one way with a tailwind. It's all in the gas formulations and we can't do anything except educate ourselves to find out which brand of gas is best, and the best bang for the buck.

I did mod my 84 Supra one summer to only run on half of the cylinders while light cruising (turned off 3 fuel injectors). It helped get an additional 2mpg, but the original head gasket started letting go from age and uneven cylinder pressures. I replaced the head gasket and removed my "mod".

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even our local dealership called me back to tell me to expect about a 30% decrease in mpg. :/

·
fix it if you can
4,988 Posts
Even our local dealership called me back to tell me to expect about a 30% decrease in mpg. :/
For an almost new 2013 van? Doubt it - you should see something on the order of 3-4% difference..
Now an '84 supra or even something a decade old will see a bigger drop (6-12% maybe) and can have more problems with old deposits in the fuel system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts