The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Outside mirror tilt and memory

23K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  steffen.m 
#1 ·
A while i posted about that the passeger side mirror does not move with memory or tilt down when in reverse. Well i have had my car in for service for oil change and other things, and the tech and service writer were working on this isssue for over two days and did not make sense to them and they could not find any problems. The service dept. had several dicussions with chrysler and then chrysler informed them that when you have the memory package, the passenger side mirror does not tilt or move with the memory. This makes no sense to me or the dealer but thats what chyrsler told them.

If possible i would appreciate if any one with limiteds or other 08's with memory seats, when you put the van in reverse do both the drivers side and passenger side mirror tilt down and if you move the mirros then press the memory does the passenger side return to its position.

thank you in advance.

#2 ·
You can select the mirror to tilt down when in reverse on PERSONAL SETTINGS (CUSTOMER
PROGRAMMABLE FEATURES)

You can set this feature to on or off using the left button on the steering wheel.

* If you can program the left mirror with memory you could also do that with the right mirror.

#4 ·
Both should tilt with the backup assist...Mine do...
When I picked up the van, after the service advisor and mechanic taking apart the door and van to fix this for two days, replacing the mirror, checking the software, checking the electic system and after several calls with chyrsler and going through the build and diagnostic database on these vans they found diagnostic and build paperwork from chyrsler, which they showed to me, that indicated that both mirrors do tilt in reverse so long as you do not have memory seats. If you have memory seats only the driver side mirror is connected to the memory and the passenger side isn't and does not tilt. This made no sense to me or the service department why chrysler would do this. But according to chyrsler the van was purposely programed this way. I am the first to bring this up to the service department and they are now exepcting a lot of people who have memory seats are probably going to complain.

Please confirm if you have the memory option????

#7 ·
Well, I called my salesman and asked if they had a limited in the showroom, they didn't but my saleman brought one from the other lot. He said he would check it out but i said i want to come down and make sure the memory works and the tilt setting is enable. I went by early this evening and it was an 08 limited BB with only trailer option package and DVD players, identical to mine down to the biege interior, except i don't have the DVD.

Lo and behold to my salesman's and my surprise, the memory function and tilt on reverse does not work on the passenger side, but works only on the driver's side. I called service and they had a red limited in there lot and same thing. I just don't get it and neither do the saleman and service. The only way I can described it that chrysler is F***ing stupid.

#11 ·
I have a 2008 T&C Limited and have the same problem. The driver's side mirror turns down in reverse but the passenger side does not. It is not possible that they did this on purpose, it is just too stupid. Someone screwed up the software.
Please read through all the posts.

Chrysler did this on purpose, I have tested three other limiteds including mine and people on other forums are saying the same thing. Also I posted previously, the tech and service mananger each showed me documentation from Chrysler showing this was done on purpose.

There is an option in the PERSONAL SETTINGS (CUSTOMER
PROGRAMMABLE FEATURES) to set to on the passenger mirror down.

Have you check this option.
If the driver mirror is tilting, the setting is enabled, there is no way to make the passeger side work (without some update from Chysrsler in the future). Also, you will notice that the passenger side mirror is not connected to the memory function.

#13 ·
The funny thing is that if they were only going to do one, the passenger side probably made more sense than the driver side. After all, the passenger side lowering can be helpful with parallel parking. When you are backing up on a street to exit a parking space however, having the drivers side mirror not lower helps you to pay attention to traffic that you intend to pull out in.

#17 ·
ok wait a minute you are telling me that the 08 touring has this option? I have the chrome power dimming mirrors but neither of mine do the tilt down feature and did not see anything in the EVIC about it, hmmm now I am wondering whats up with mine...

#18 ·
whats more is I just looked and there is nothing in the service manuals about the tilt feature within the EVIC does not even list it as something that is an option... HMMMMM

#19 ·
So has anyone been able to figure out just why the drivers mirror tilts (uselessly) and NOT the passenger? I know mine is exactly that.

#20 ·
Just to clarify the

Limited (at least in the USA) comes standard with memory driver seat and only memory driver side mirror. Only when enabled (which i shut off) only the Driver's side mirror tilts in reverse. As of the 2008 models, the passenger side mirror is not connected to memory and does not tilt in reverse.

The Touring, as it is my understanding (I do not own one, so I am not 100% sure) both mirrors tilt when you have the reverse sensors. I have an 08 touring loaner without reverse sensors and I will check that later.

The reasoning that the passenger side mirror in the Limited's are not in memory or tilt, I know of none.

#21 ·
Could it be that these vans are also prepared for Japanese or European markets where they are RHD? This making the drivers mirror "the passenger".

#22 ·
well I have the touring with every reverse gadget on it and my mirrors do not tilt in reverse at all and there is nothing in the evic about it either...

#23 ·
The loaner touring i had does not tilt either. I checked my manual and does not say anything about the tilt, however, the manual you can download from chysler's website specifically states only the driver sides mirrors tilt. I guess chyrsler updated the owner's manuel and it is also it is more cleary stated that only the drivers side mirror works with the memory.

Also, i noticed my manual and the newer one refer to power folding mirrors, anyone have these?? i have an ealry build 08 (oct 07) so it may not have been available at that time.

#24 ·
I thought the power fold was for export only.... And to clarify the touring does not get memory seats or mirrors only the limited so thats why I wonder why the touring has both mirrors tilting down and then there is mine that does not tilting at all even though I have the dimming chrome signal mirrors like the limited model.

#25 ·
My LTD does not have the power fold...

#27 ·
I can confirm my LTD only the drivers - tilts...
once it tilted and did not return to home position..
so I am rather content that just the drivers has this feature - less to go wrong; even though we paid more to get less features ;)

#29 ·
The mirror on the passenger side dont has the necessary hardware for tilt the mirror. The motor on the passenger side has 3 pins only

Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Automotive tire Rim Automotive lighting

The mirror from the driver side has 8 pins (3 for the motor an 5 for posution sensors). Without the missing position sensors it is not possibe to tilt the passenger sensor.

The passenger side mirror is controlled by the door module front right (DMFR). This module is able to controls a memory mirror motor. But the module gets the configuration from the TIPM abouz the vehicle line (RT). The default setting for this vehicle line is without memory. This setting is NOT configurable...

... but there is a trick:
I modified my passenger mirror with a motor from a driver side mirror and a driver side wiring harness.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Window Trunk Bumper

Unfortunately the right hardware in the mirror alone is not enough. In addition, you have to manipulate the configuration of the right door module so that it thinks that it is installed in a Jeep Grand Cherokke (WK) and not in a Chrysler Town & Country (RT). That sounds simple, but requires a CAN gateway. This gateway intercepts the CAN ID with the vehicle line, which is sent to the door module in the vehicle every 2 seconds. The gateway manipulates a byte in the CAN ID of the vehicle line, causing the door module to think that it is installed in a WK and then sends this to the door module. This will activate the memory mirror on the right.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

I used the gateway mentioned to install the 6 front parking sensors of a Jeep WK in the RT, which is described here. Its the same prinzip

Nachrüstung Front-PDC mit Anbindung an den Fahrzeug-CAN-Bus - Voyager - Lancia Forum (lancia-forum.de)