The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 14 Grand Caravan, currently it has the mini console with DVD screen and HVAC controls.

I was just at a junk yard and found a mini console that had the reading lights and LED mood lighting in it.

Got home took mine apart and realized I don't have the correct wiring harness in the van. There is no wiring for any of the lighting. Just one harness for the screen and another for the HVAC controls.

Is this a harness I can get out of the donor van? Or is it all integrated and I'm out of luck.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts
You would either have to replace the roof wiring harness (easiest way to do it), or tap/run wiring for the lights and HALO.
Here's a wiring diagram;
Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Slope

If the wiring diagram is confusing, the basic outcome is you can add the reading lights fairly easily by tapping the same wires in the front (driver and front passenger) lights. Each courtesy light has 3 wires, and all of them connect to the same circuit as parallel circuits so just tap the driver reading light and run wires for the rear reading lights.

The HALO is a bit harder to do, you will need to remove the passenger side A-pillar and at the base of the A-pillar, you will find all the connectors (4, 2 grey, 1 brown, and one green)for all the roof functions (but not the auto dim mirror). The HALO lights + runs from the green connector easiest to access, your van will only have the wire on the dash side of the connector and no wire on the headliner side.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

If you do swap out the roof harness, remember that the gate washer hose runs along this harness, and is also glued and taped to the harness and is one piece all the way to the tailgate. I removed the tape and separated it from the harness then swapped harnesses and taped it to the new harness.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts
Perfect. I should just be able to grab the roof harness from the van at the wreckers. It's remarkably intact.

Thanks so much it's been awhile since I looked at this stuff!
And just to specify, you said you found a van with a mini console, 1 dvd and halo?

Because these vans either had the single mini overhead console (the one you have, no halo, no 2'nd row reading lights, no front dome light, and no halo),
Or the long overhead console which has 2'nd row/3'rd row reading lights and the front dome light, but may or may not come with the HALO,
Or the sunroof version which always has 2 mini overhead consoles, and each console has HALO, reading lights (2'nd and 3'rd row) and also the front dome light.

If you are grabbing one from the sunroof, be ready to remove a lot more wires as each console has a wire strand going to it as part of the roof harness, and if it's the dual screen system then you loose the C-pillar RCA screen inputs (except HDMI).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a sunroof T&C with the two mini consoles.

I don't have the RCAs in my van I pieced it together and never installed them.

Would I be better off getting the harness from one with a long overhead console with halos?

They had one of those there too.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts
It's a sunroof T&C with the two mini consoles.

I don't have the RCAs in my van I pieced it together and never installed them.

Would I be better off getting the harness from one with a long overhead console with halos?

They had one of those there too.
If you want just the one mini console, then use the sunroof version but be ready to shove an extra meter of wires (which would go to the 3'rd row console) into the headliner. The long overhead console is easier to deal with, but also because the console has all the wiring attached to the console itself, which you would have to remove from the console and also shove into the headliner since you just want the 2'nd row part of it.

There's also the issue of wire lengths, the long console version connector for the console is forward of the screen, vs the sunroof which connects aft of the screen. The wiring between the 2 systems is not swappable as the 2'nd row connectors have different pin out assignments. I don't think you could squeeze the long console connector into the sunroof version mini console, so stick to the sunroof wiring unless you plan to add the entire long console, which then just use the long console harness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the offer but I'm ok, I have the black headliner so I had to paint the mini console already and I don't want to have to do the whole long console now hah.

Plus it's only the dogs that use the third row and I don't think they are too concerned about what to watch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very good info Michalb. I have the two round lights, maybe referred to as halos, the bulbs of which I would like to replace with LEDs. I have not investigated how to open them to access the bulbs as yet.

I would like to buy and install a dash cam up there the same time by tapping into the existing wiring. Prefer to have B+ full time with the dash cam being awakened by motion when parked.

Have to look up the wiring diagram or just namual test for non interrupted B+

Cheers.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts
Very good info Michalb. I have the two round lights, maybe referred to as halos, the bulbs of which I would like to replace with LEDs. I have not investigated how to open them to access the bulbs as yet.

I would like to buy and install a dash cam up there the same time by tapping into the existing wiring. Prefer to have B+ full time with the dash cam being awakened by motion when parked.

Have to look up the wiring diagram or just namual test for non interrupted B+

Cheers.
The HALO is the mood lighting on the sides of the rear overhead console(s) in the green color pre 2012 and blue post 2012;
Vehicle Head restraint Car Automotive design Car seat cover

I assume you mean the front dome/reading lights, on the front overhead console;
Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Audio equipment Gadget

If you're interested, there is an LED version that can swivel, like the reading lights in the 2'nd and 3'rd row of my first photo. If not, the bulb# of the halogen front reading lights is #587, if you go with LED's be sure to buy a resistor to prevent flickering.

As for the hot at all times wire, you can tap the fused B+ wire for the overhead screen system, if equipped. I don't recommend tapping the interior lights (which have 3 wires going to each), because both power supply wires will time out after some time so that you don't drain your battery when you leave your lights accidentally on. Plenty of wires in the dash to tap into for power even on complete base model vans, so let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow Michalb, I have never seen the halo lights until now, that's why I was puzzled about the round reading/ dome lights being called halos. That is really sweet looking, of all the GC I saw, I never read about this or seen them, thanks so much for sharing.

So yes, it is the round lights I was referring to, would be nice to swap in the ones that swivel and I am assuming are already outfitted with LEDs from what you have said. I can check with the wrecking yards to see what they have if not, can get the bulbs with anti-flicker resistors too as suggested.

I do have a single DVD overhead screen so will look for full time B+ up there.

Thanks Michalb for your info, help and I hope this helps the OP and others looking at the thread too.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update after taking your advice stripped the entire roof harness out of the donor T&C with the sunroof.

Realized after comparing it to my van I only needed half of it so I stripped out all the audio visual stuff for the screens in the donor and ended up with this.

Amber Twig Wood Art Metal

Tested it out with the mini console and everything seems to work so I will install it tomorrow.

Got rid of a lot of the bulk this way the only extra stuff now is the wiring for the sunroof, power door buttons and 3rd row reading lights.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts
@Michalb, that's next year's project :)
I'm keeping a lookout for a harness for you!

The LED mood lighting is amazing (but it's only visible when it's dark out as it's not meant to be a day feature), and the LED reading lights are worlds better then that single halogen rear dome light! Plus the overhead console really doesn't take up all that much space, love it!

Don't forget that although some features are a pain to add, you will enjoy those features way more since you added them instead of buying a vehicle with them already installed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts