The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Owner programmable Features

319K views 212 replies 104 participants last post by  Flightsimmer2 
#1 ·
Well, after a few threads about people not knowing about features that can be programed by owners without the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), I scanned my owners manual with the ones contained in there.
Just FYI, this is out of a 2005 manual, so other years may be different. Some may even work on older generations.
I have heard of a few more that others have found, but did not include them, since I can't verify them. The only one of these that I have not done is the last (I don't have auto climate control)

Customer Key Programming

You can program new sentry keys to the system if you have two valid sentry keys by performing the following procedure:

1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.

2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON for at least 3 seconds but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key and turn the ignition switch ON within 15 seconds. After ten seconds a chime will sound and the Theft Alarm Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.

4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch ON within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds a single chime will sound. The Theft Alarm Light will stop flashing, turn on for 3 seconds; then turn off.

The new Sentry Key has been programmed. The Keyless Entry Transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.
Repeat this procedure to program up to a total of 8 keys. If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.
NOTE: If a programmed key has been lost, see your dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the systems memory. The remaining keys must then repro-grammed. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed.

The Automatic Door Locks can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure:

1. Close all doors and place the key in the ignition switch.

2. Cycle the ignition switch ON/OFF four times ending i in the OFF position, (do not start the engine)

3. Within 10 seconds of the final cycle, press the interior driver's door lock switch to the LOCK position.

4. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

You can turn the feature back on by repeating the above mentioned procedure or by performing the procedure in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), Customer Programmable Features section on vehicles so equipped.

The Remote Unlock Driver's Door 1st feature can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure:

1. Press the UNLOCK button for 5 to 10 seconds.

2. While the UNLOCK button is pressed, (after 5 seconds) press the LOCK button. Release both buttons.

The "Remote Unlock Driver's Door 1st" feature can be reactivated by repeating the above mentioned procedure or by performing the procedure in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), Customer Programmable Features section on vehicles so equipped.

If desired, the "Sound Horn On Lock" feature can be turned on and off by performing the following procedure:

1. Press the LOCK button for 5 to 10 seconds.

2. While the LOCK button is pressed (after 5 seconds), press the PANIC button. Release both buttons.

The "Sound Horn On Lock" feature can be reactivated by repeating this procedure or by performing the procedure in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), Customer Programmable Features section on vehicles so equipped.

To Turn Off "Flash Lights On Lock/Unlock" — If Equipped

If desired, the "Flash Lights On Lock/Unlock" feature can be turned on and off by performing the following procedure:

1. Press the LOCK button for 5 to 10 seconds.

2. While the LOCK button is pressed, (after 5 seconds) press the UNLOCK button. Release both buttons.

The "Flash Lights On Lock/Unlock" feature can be reactivated by repeating this procedure or by performing the procedure in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), Customer Programmable Features section on vehicles so equipped. The table below explains the Lamp Flash options.

The Sliding Door Open Flash can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure:

1. Place the key in the ignition switch.

2. Cycle the ignition switch ON/OFF four times ending in the OFF position, (do not start the engine)

3. Within 10 seconds of the final cycle, press the hazard switch.

4. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

You can turn the feature back on by repeating the above mentioned procedure or by performing the procedure in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC), Customer Programmable Features section on vehicles so equipped.

Enhanced Driver Seat Belt Use Reminder System (BeltAlert)

If the driver's seat belt has not been buckled within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle and if the vehicle speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h), the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) will alert the driver to buckle their seat belt. The driver should also instruct all other occupants to buckle their seat belts. Once the warning is triggered, the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) will continue to chime and flash the Seat Belt Warning Light for 96 seconds or until the driver's seat belt is buckled.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) will be reactivated if the driver's seat belt is unbuckled for more than 10 seconds and the vehicle speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h).

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or RUN position. Daimler Chrysler does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver's seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver's seat belt at least three times, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE: Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unfastened.

A/C Recirculation Programming

The recirculation control is programmed to cancel the recirculation mode when the ignition key is turned OFF and will reset to outside air mode when the ignition key is turned ON. The frequent use of outside air will help keep odors from building up within the air conditioner-heater housing. It is recommended that the recirculation mode be used as little as possible, especially in humid climates.

For hot and dry climates, or people who are allergic to pollen and find frequent use of the recirculation mode necessary, the recirculation mode can be programmed to not automatically reset to the outside mode by using the following procedures:

• Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

• Set the mode control to "PANEL".

• Depress and hold in the "Rear Wipe/Wash" button.

• Start the engine, and continue to hold in the "Rear Wipe/Wash" button until the indicator light starts flashing repeatedly.

• Press the recirculation button until the indicator light remains lit.

• The selection will be stored when the ignition switch is turned OFF or if the "Rear Wipe/Wash" button is pressed.

If the recirculation indicator light is lit, the recirculation mode will not reset when the engine is started. If the recirculation indicator light is not lit, the recirculation mode will reset to the outside air mode when the engine is started. The programmed status can be changed back and forth by following the above mentioned procedure.

Automatic Climate Control

To provide you with maximum comfort in the automatic mode, during cold start-ups the blower fan will remain off and "DELAY" will appear in the front ATC display until the engine warms up. Also, an estimate of the time remaining until the "DELAY" is over will appear periodically in the display. However, the fan will engage immediately if the defrost mode is selected or by rotating the blower control to any fixed blower speed.

This feature may be disabled using the following procedure:

• Press and hold the Heated Rear Window and Auto LO buttons for 5 seconds.

• The "DELAY" symbol will flash to indicate that the feature as been disabled.

This feature may be enabled using the following procedure:

• Press and hold the Heated Rear Window and Auto HI buttons for 5 seconds.

• The "DELAY" symbol will flash to indicate that the feature as been enabled.

Note: I am not telling anyone to do any of these. I am not responsible for any problems that may arise from this. Use at your on discretion.

See less See more
#4 ·
Programming a transmitter (for those without sentry keys) would be helpful to have in here. I glanced at that in the owner's manual over the weekend, and stumbled across it while figuring out how to program the garage door opener.

#5 ·
Great! I just changed the doors to ALL open on one click, and stopped the auto lock function.

Couldn't however get the seat belt chime to stop. I have a 2007 GC SXT and didn't find this info in my owner's manual.

Thanks!

#7 ·
Works Great!

Even though I have an "export-specs" 2006 Town & Country Limited with no EVIC, I was able to program one touch all locks/unlocks, flash lights while doing so, and auto door look. I was not able to do the "horn" sound because my remote don't have the Panic button.

Thanks for sharing these great tips.

#9 ·
Yes, @ 18mph all doors will automatically lock when enabled.
When it is disabled, the doors stay in whatever position they are in when you start driving.

#10 ·
Option to stop loud beeping when opening hatch?

Thanks blupupher for that valuable information. I use the remote to open the rear hatch and its a nice feature. But that loud beeping before it opens or closes the door..Yikes!!! Its so loud and obnoxious. So much that I often prefer to just open it manually.

Is there a way to turn this off, or at least lower the volume?

Thanks,

Ken

#11 ·
Kreisman, I did not see anything about it in my manual.
I would imagine it is a safety feature that can't be disabled (aside from disconnectiong whatever beeps).

#14 ·
This is a dealer only (or a mechanic with the appropriate scan tool) item. It is supposed to be as simple as changing the Country code in the BCM (Canada has DRL, US does not, and from some posts I have seen around, maybe a US Commercial Vehicle version that has DRL also).

sblack, mine took me 3 tries to get it to disable, so you may try it again and see, but it may be year specific. :ask_wsign :Shrugs:

#17 ·
disabling driver seat belt chime

I tried the suggested method several times but couldn't get it to work.

Never got the single chime after going through procedure and turning the key to off for final time.

Also -- the seat belt chime doesn't stop after 96 seconds as listed.

Any ideas?

2005 Chrysler Town and Country LX:help_wsig

thanks

#21 ·
I would think some of those are real safety features that shouldn't be changed. Such as automatically locking all doors after 18 mph. If in an accident and children on board, you wouldn't want those doors to open and throw your kids out.

Also the one where you have to press the button twice to open the passenger door is a safety feature. If your wife was getting into the van, a guy could open the passenger door and jump in too if all doors unlock with one push.

#23 ·
Been a while since I posted and I have a comment or two, and a question.

Comment

The autolock is a good feature, but I also prefer to have my van auto-unlock as soon as I turn off and open the drivers door. The way I have it set now, all doors autolock but also unlock immediately when I open the drivers door from inside. If you have a lot of passengers in your van on a regular basis, or need to get in the rear hatch on a regular basis...you'll appreciate this feature.

As for the seatbelt warning chime. Its been long since disabled. Good riddance. And yes, I wear my seatbelt.

Question

Is there a way to self program the automatic climate control to a certain preferred blend door position? I hate having heat blowing in my face through the dash vents. Any time I set the ATC to automatic, low or high, it sets the blend door to a mixture of dash and floor. I'd like to have it default to floor, in any auto-temp position. As soon as I move the blend door manually, the fan control ATC is no longer automatic.

Even better, I'd like it to default to FLOOR when the heat is on (warm feet), and default to DASH or blend vents when the A/C is on (cool breeze). Anyone have any thoughts or experience tweaking that ATC module?

#25 ·
See the first post.
Enhanced Driver Seat Belt Use Reminder System (BeltAlert)

If the driver's seat belt has not been buckled within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle and if the vehicle speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h), the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) will alert the driver to buckle their seat belt. The driver should also instruct all other occupants to buckle their seat belts. Once the warning is triggered, the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) will continue to chime and flash the Seat Belt Warning Light for 96 seconds or until the driver's seat belt is buckled.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) will be reactivated if the driver's seat belt is unbuckled for more than 10 seconds and the vehicle speed is greater than 5 mph (8 km/h).

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:

NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON or RUN position. Daimler Chrysler does not recommend deactivating the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert).

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver's seat belt.

2. Turn the ignition key to the RUN position (engine does not need to be running), and wait for the Seat Belt Warning Light to turn off.

3. Within 60 seconds, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver's seat belt at least three times, ending with the seat belt buckled.

4. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.

The Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.

NOTE: Although the Enhanced Warning System (BeltAlert) has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Warning Light will continue to illuminate while the driver's seat belt remains unfastened.

#29 ·
From the 2008 owner's manual available from Chrysler online:

UNLOCK DOORS AUTOMATICALLY ON EXIT— IF EQUIPPED
This feature UNLOCKS all of the doors of the vehicle when any door is opened. This will occur only after the gear selector lever has been shifted into the PARK position after the vehicle has been driven (the gear selector lever has been shifted out of PARK and all doors closed).
This feature will not operate if there is any manual operation of the power door locks (LOCK or UNLOCK).The UNLOCK Doors Automatically On Exit feature can be enabled or disabled by performing the following procedure:
1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.
2. Fasten your seat belt. (Fastening the seat belt will cancel any chimes that may be confusing during this programming procedure.)
3. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
4. Within 15 seconds, cycle the key from the LOCK position to the ON/RUN position a minimum of four times ending in the LOCK position. (Do not start the
engine.).
5. Within 30 seconds, press the driver’s door lock switch in the UNLOCK direction.
6. A single chime will sound to indicate the feature has been changed.
7. To reactivate this feature, repeat the above steps.
8. If a chime is not heard, the program mode was canceled before the feature could be changed. If necessary, repeat the above procedure.
The UNLOCK Doors Automatically On Exit feature can be reactivated by repeating the above mentioned procedure or by performing the procedure in the EVIC, Customer Programmable Features section on vehicles so equipped.
NOTE: Use the LOCK Doors Automatically at 15 mph (24 km/h) and UNLOCK Doors Automatically On Exit features in accordance with local laws.

There is a Gen 5 area for most 2008 questions.

#28 ·
#30 ·
I think the beep on opening the tailgate is really a plus you don't want to undo. I am sure it is to alert you if you inadvertantly hit the button and it warns people behind to look out for this door coming across your path (Walmart parking lot). I am sure that is why it does not come on when you are opening it manually. It could also warn you of an accidental opening when it would really do some damage. Like in a carport where there is not room enough for it to fully extend. Someone busted the glass out of the one I have doing that. Just a thought. I know it is annoying.
tcwagner1

#31 ·
My '09 does not beep when I hit the auto-tailgate open/close. I kind of miss it, kind of not. I miss it when I accidentally hit that button on the fob instead of the sliding door buttons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.