The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Computer tells me I need a new oxygen sensor. Mechanic says I need two of them at nearly $200 a piece... they have to be replaced as "matched sets" he claims. Then he tells me he has to take the engine "apart" to get to the... so the labor cost is far FAR more than the van is worth.

Ok first... do I really need two of them? Next.... Where can I get a cheaper version of the same thing? (online is fine!) Lastly, in all the cars/vans I've ever owned it was a simple matter of getting a socket down "there" and putting the sucker in place. Never heard of having to dismantle an engine to replace one.

By the way this is my normally reliable "always go there" shop. Don't know what changed but I feel like I am getting a line of **** here.

oh and I seem to have hit my head harder than I though the forum looks funny today. Hmm.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
Wait a minute. $200 a piece? Is that from the dealer I hope? Because I wanna say I paid like $30 a piece for both of my Bosch aftermarket ones.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I think my bosch O2 was $50 and they are easier to replace if you take the intake plenum off, but you can do it from the bottom. Also you don't have to replace them both at once, but if they are old you may want to. If your upstream sensor is bad I would just replace that one. If the downstream one is bad, it may have failed from an upstream going bad which then I would replace both.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was under the impression that GEN2 only has 1 o2 sensor, where is the other one located?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I thought they all had one before and one after the converter? Maybe not before OBDII.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I think a lot of people tend to think there is only one oxygen sensor, by I'm willing to bet that there are two- if anything for emissions sake. I think even the 2nd gens are recent enough to have that requirement. Though a quick call to a dealer could answer that question too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I replaced the upper on my '92 GV, 3.3, about a week ago. $95 for an OEM, plus some labor. Well worth it. $200 per is an outrage. Time for a second opinion.

I can't tell you if there is a second one after the cat, I've looked through all the books I can find, but nothing definitive. After replacing it, gas mileage went back to "normal" and no more of the horrible smell of partially burned gas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am in the process of replacing my entire stock exaust and oxygen sensor (stock as well) and I can say with 100% positivety there is only one on the pre OBDII, generation 2 caravans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts