The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member for awhile, but mostly just lurking and learning. I first had a 1994 Ply Grd Voy LE that I bought in 2001 w/93,000 miles on it. I happily drove it to 238K in 2011 and then got rid of it due to multiple issues that I could not or did not wish to solve. I was hoping to see 300K.

I now have a 2000 Chry Grd Voy SE 3.3 Flex that I picked up in 2011 with 68,000 miles. I have driven it to 125K and had very little trouble with it until a month ago. It cost me $1500 to get <ALL> of the rusting and leaking brake lines replaced. My shop questioned me, but I convinced them that I thought it was worthwhile for how little money I have spent on the vehicle and that I trusted it and knew what I had. I haven't spent any major repair money in 3 years.

EXCEPT(!) last week, I began to have misfire and backfire trouble. With the $1500 blown on the brake lines, wheel cylinder and drums, I don't want to dump the vehicle, now. Yeah, I know - good money after bad...

I got the codes read and at first it was just a P0305. I knew the engine was due for plugs and wires. I last had them done when I first bought the van. I put in a new coil pack (was not replaced before - the parts store talked me out of it). Replaced the #5 spark plug and wire - because I know I can reach that one. No change. The #5 plug was wet with gasoline and well-worn, so it was suspect. I killed the battery while working on it, so the codes were inadvertantly cleared.

I took it to the shop so they could troubleshoot it. Of course, it didn't throw a code going over there and of course it didn't throw a code while Bryan worked on it. He used a HE ignition tester and noid lights. Checked a couple different cylinders for comparison. He is pretty much convinced that it is a leaky injector.

He was impressed that I did the #5 spark plug with no floorlift and tried to convince me to save money and do it myself. I am not a mechanic - I am an electronic person by trade. He knew that I had a manual and the tools and convinced me that tearing the engine down to the intake plenum was really not that bad. So $60 later, I was headed home - then, of course, it threw a code. I went to AutoZone and had them read the code - there were more now - but when I called and talked to Bryan, he said those new ones are probably from all of his troubleshooting - P0300, P0301, P0305, P0351, P0352, P0353. I bought some of the parts I would need and a code reader.

I have read all the threads in the forum I could find and other stuff on the Web - lotsa YouTube vids.

I have it all torn down. When I got the fuel rail off, I turned the key to pressurize the system. The injector over the #6 cylinder got wet. All the others are dry. Since I am now suspecting more than one injector, I ordered a full set of reman off ebay. ONE new injector at the parts store is $60. I got the SET for $60. They will be here tomorrow. If there are any injector issues, I ought to be able to make something good out of the old injectors and the reman set.

I did a compression check - dry and with a couple squirts of oil - all seemed good. Replaced the other 2 rear plugs - well-worn. The front plugs look fine and were easily regapped with a light tap. I will replace them later if this all goes well. I learned about Champion Dbl Plats and that is what is in there. Wires look fine, but I will replace them.

I know that I glossed over some details and I will fill them in when asked or if I fix this thing, I will certainly complete the full story, but I have a simple question. I accidently removed the heater intake pipe from the intake plenum, thinking it was EGR related. Is there a gasket for that? The parts store can't find one and sold me some permatex.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm curious if I posted improperly or did something wrong. I haven't had any replies...

I called out the part improperly when I asked my question. It is actually the heater pipe off of the intake manifold (not the plenum), that I did not need to remove. I used the permatex.

I am composing my "rest of the story" and posting soon. I hope someone is seeing this. I know I am "wordy", but I try to be clear. I also don't type that fast so I hope my story is useful.

· --UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,197 Posts
.....EXCEPT(!) last week, I began to have misfire and backfire trouble. With the $1500 blown on the brake lines, wheel cylinder and drums, I don't want to dump the vehicle, now. Yeah, I know - good money after bad.....

I took it to the shop so they could troubleshoot it. Of course, it didn't throw a code going over there and of course it didn't throw a code while Bryan worked on it. He used a HE ignition tester and noid lights. Checked a couple different cylinders for comparison. He is pretty much convinced that it is a leaky injector......

I did a compression check - dry and with a couple squirts of oil - all seemed good. Replaced the other 2 rear plugs - well-worn. The front plugs look fine and were easily regapped with a light tap. I will replace them later if this all goes well. I learned about Champion Dbl Plats and that is what is in there. Wires look fine, but I will replace them.....

Note: I edited your post, but still way too long! :biggrin:

If all this goes well, you will replace them all? What if your engine still doesn't runs well?

Because a sparkplug looks ok doesn't mean it is good, replace them all!

I'm curious if I posted improperly or did something wrong. I haven't had any replies....
You posted correctly, it is just that people often doesn't pay attention to kids that took them six years to learn how to speak! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.