The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L V6 with about 134000 miles on it, automatic transmission. A number of weeks ago the check engine light came on, and the codes that came up were P0404 (EGR control circuit out of range), P0406 (EGR sensor A circuit is high), and P0456 (small evap leak).

I replaced the EGR valve myself and reset the computer by removing and reconnecting one of the battery connections, and the check engine light turned off. But a few days later, the check engine light turned on again. I had the computer checked again, and this time the only code that came up was P0456 (small evap leak). I don't think it's the gas cap, because I replaced the gas cap when the check engine light first came on a number of weeks ago, before even replacing the EGR valve. The engine is making a strange noise, and I recorded it (rather, my brother recorded it while I was driving) in the video I've linked below. This noise usually happens when I am slowing down to a stop, and the noise increases while I'm turning the steering wheel. The engine also sometimes jumps/chugs/kicks slightly. It doesn't happen all the time.

The engine has been making these noises and doing the slight chugging for a while, since the check engine light originally came on a number of weeks ago. But it didn't just suddenly start. The noise and chugging both started as something very very slight, and very gradually it got more noticeable and worse, to the point it is at in the video below.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what the problem might be? If I have left out any necessary information to help diagnose the problem, please let me know.

Thank you!

video of noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJW_m154O0
note the noises at (0:06-0:07), (0:15-0:19), and (0:54-1:00), as well as the slight growling noise that's pretty much continuous from 0:24 to the end.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
welcome to the forum . I don't think an evap leak would cause the noise . I think I'd be looking at the pulley's for the noise or even the heat shield and for the jump/kick/chug I think I'd look for a vacuum leak somewhere or maybe a vacuum hose that has come loose .

Reactions: JC1

·
Registered
980 Posts
Look under the van where the drivers seat is, that is where the evap pump and charcoal cannister are. The plastic clamps always rot out and brake, and could be the leak.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not sure what the noise is. I just had the p0456 code come up last weekend and it turned out to be a couple hoses under the hood. On the passenger side, next to the air filter housing, look for a hose with a port that has a green plastic cap on it. The two, two inch long, 5/16" rubber hoses on both sides were rotted out and cracked in my case. I replaced them, the code went away. Also, remove the air filter box, it lifts straight up and out after you remove the single fastener up front, and follow that same line with the green cap back about ten inches to an electric evap valve. There are two more 5/16" rubber hoses on either side of that component that has a tendency to rot out and break as well. One hose is two inches, the other looks to be somewhere between six and eight inches long. Again, you have to remove the air filter box to gain access to those. In my case, those two were fine, but I replaced them anyway.

Hard to tell what the noise is without more information. Is it a result of turning the wheel or is it random? It sounds like it could be coming from the belt driven components, but hard to tell from the video. I can tell you it has nothing to do with the evap code. The evap code will have zero effect on the performance of the car. It just lets you know you're venting gasoline vapors into the atmosphere, which is something all cars did anyway back in the day anyway.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
There are two types of EVAP systems, with and without the pump. Both systems only activate when your shut car off, and determine whether your system will hold a vacuum or not.

That said, I think you have a pumpless system, and as a 443K said, look under the van. My problem wasn't a broken clamp, but a cracked hose at the connection to the evap cannister. You can make a temp repair with good quality electrical tape.

This code causes no engine problems, and only effects your ability to pass emissions testing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just bought my 2004 3.3l, when I drive it away the check light came on. It was quite low on gas, so first stop was gas station and filled it up. The light went off. So, the gas cap was removed, then replaced. No resetting of MIL, just a gas up. I am now down to about 2/3 of a tank and light came back on. P0456. Tried opening cap and reseating, code stayed. I will fill the tank and see if it helps. Maybe a little vaseline on cap O-ring? I guess replacing the cap is a cheap start to eliminating the problem. I think a little lube on the ring may be first step. Thoughts?

Also got a P0305. thinking about just ordering and replacing the coil pack as a first step, but maybe be sure all plugs/boots are firm seated first.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Just bought my 2004 3.3l, when I drive it away the check light came on. It was quite low on gas, so first stop was gas station and filled it up. The light went off. So, the gas cap was removed, then replaced. No resetting of MIL, just a gas up. I am now down to about 2/3 of a tank and light came back on. P0456. Tried opening cap and reseating, code stayed. I will fill the tank and see if it helps. Maybe a little vaseline on cap O-ring? I guess replacing the cap is a cheap start to eliminating the problem. I think a little lube on the ring may be first step. Thoughts?

Also got a P0305. thinking about just ordering and replacing the coil pack as a first step, but maybe be sure all plugs/boots are firm seated first.
Is there any rust on the top of the filler neck? Maybe try to clean it up with some steel wool and replace the gas cap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I will look again, but I don't remember seeing any.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
the filler neck could have a hairline crack in it, there are a couple of threads (with pics) regarding this.
take off the cap and look carefully to see if you see any cracks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
For the evap code, try this. I eliminated my code a couple weeks ago, after reading that this was a common problem.

Under the hood, next to your air box, look for the hose with what looks like a green Schrader valve cap on it. That's the EVAP test port. Check the two, two inch long 5/16 hoses surrounding it for cracks. Both of mine were split wide open. Next remove the air box, and follow that same line back ten inches, where it goes into the front valve. That's surrounded by two more 5/16 hoses, and those are prone to cracking as well. I replaced all four hoses, a foot of 5/16 fuel line hose from AutoZone set me back $4.95. Problem solved, no more CEL.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No rust on filler neck, no obvious cracks, replaced was cap. The replacement did not have the hole for the 'leash;. I drilled hle to attach, but it was not solid, afraid I may have introduced the next leak.

·
Registered
35 Posts
HI Murin,

I had a similar issue with my Dodge Caravan 2008. I 1st repalced the gas cap with a genuine mopar one, not a compatible. It can do a difference. Now the gas cap are calibrated specifically for the model.
Then what solved my issue.... Well I drove fast and rince the motor with gas pedal all way down like 10-15 times for about 3-5 minutes each time (on highway of course!). When I took the van 2 days later, light went off and never came back!

*** What I did is not safe and not recommanded if not in a race circuit. Please do not try this at home!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Still getting the 456. New OEM cap. Filler neck clean. Trying to figure it out little at a time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts