The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my leaking valve cover gasket last night (along with an EGR valve and coil pack due to misfire and EGR code). During the process I had to unplug a couple of wire connectors and a few hoses. I thought I put everything back and it runs great except for after driving a couple miles, I get a flashing throttle body symbol and the traction control symbol. Then the engine idles low and I get a P0507 code. I re-checked all of the connections and everything seems good. This happened immediately after I did the repair, so I don't know if it is coincidence or not. Is there some computer setting I have to reset? My throttle body is clean so I was going to see about cleaning the IAC but I don't know where it is or if I even have one. There is a black box on the side of the throttle body, so I don't know if its an all-in-one unit that cant be taken apart.

The van runs fine for several minutes. It seems like the computer is trying to compensate for something that may not be wrong. If I shut it off and restart it it runs for a couple more minutes then the process repeats.

2008 Chrysler Town and Country
3.8L v6

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
It looks like this:

But more likely you left a hose unplugged or didn't get a proper seal on a gasket. With the engine running, find the hissing noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where is that located? I don't see anything that looks like that and I assume it would be near the throttle.

I re-checked every hose, gasket and electrical connection. Everything plugged in and connected properly. No hissing sounds. If there was a vacuum leak, I usually notice it right away, but it runs good for several minutes before the idling issue happens.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
It's on the top rear of the throttle body.

Vacuum leak would only cause a high idle, not likely to cause stalls. Defective EGR could if it's not shutting fully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the IAC covered by the black clip-on housing? It doesn't look like there is any room for the IAC to fit in there. See attached pictures.

It does make sense that it could be the EGR. I assume that the EGR doesn't open/close immediately on startup & that might explain why the engine runs good for a minute. Maybe I didn't tighten the bolts all the way on the tube that connects to the top of the manifold. I will check this afternoon.
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive wheel system

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,474 Posts
There is no IAC valve on 5th generation vans, the electronic throttle body is used to control idle speed.

Reactions: 97K15004WD

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That explains why I can't find it!

I did solve the problem. It WAS the EGR valve. There are two bolts towards the back side that I forgot to tighten. They connect the EGR valve to the steel pipe that connects to the manifold. I left them loose on purpose so I could swivel it into place after attaching the EGR to the engine and never remembered to tighten them.

However, the P0507 code won't go away. Even after deleting the code with my OBD2 scanner. I'll have to try disconnecting the battery for a while to see if it resets.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
The code should go away when cleared. It might come back when you start up again if it detects the same issue. You aren't trying to clear the codes with it running, are you? That doesn't work on Dodges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts