The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P0740 code on my 2011 Town and Country. I had it at dealer and told it needed transmission. Wife said screw that. That was 8 months ago and has been running and shifting good.
Is it a ticking time bomb? Car has 83,000 miles. and has made several 300 mile trips in last 8 months.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the same problem 2 years ago at 60k. Everyone said to replace the whole transmission. I replaced the torque converter with a refurbished one from one of the online Chrysler parts websites. No one was selling a brand new one. Now the van is at 77k miles. No issues so far. I did not even reprogram my transmission. It might be needed. Not sure about that part.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Still getting the code? Could have been a glitch.
Any shutter on driving away.
Any weird shifting?
Proper ATF+4 in the transmission.
Fluid level good, not over/under?
Cooler clean?
Give us more information on its operation. Appears it is running and shifting good. Don't worry, be happy as long as the fluid is proper type/level, fairly new, and being filtered, being cooled.

Repairs that can fix the P0740 code may include:
  1. Replacing the torque converter clutch solenoid.
  2. Replacing the torque converter or clutch.
  3. Adding or replacing transmission fluid and filter.
  4. Replacing the powertrain control module.
  5. Overhauling the current transmission.
  6. Replacing the transmission with a brand new one.

Reactions: dcorbin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any weird shifting?
Cooler clean?
Give us more information on its operation. Appears it is running and shifting good. Don't worry, be happy as long as the fluid is proper type/level, fairly new, and being filtered, being cooled.

Any weird shifting?
Cooler clean?

When it was at dealer they replaced trans lines and dropped the pan. said" look at that little sparkly powder in the fluid. It needs a transmission" well i know that usually a little powder from
the bands will be present with normal wear. They cleaned pan and added fluid. That was 8 months ago.
I haven't noticed any odd changes in operation. Seems to cruise nicely down highway at proper RPM's.
Still has code. Heard that it may just be torque converter. I need to get a quote on replacing converter as opposed to replacing transmission, just in case. I realize that the transmission needs to be removed to replace the converter and that a converter is usually not included in price of a transmission.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Try the disconnect the battery routine to reboot the computers.
Just disconnect the negative wire and touch it to the positive terminal.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,297 Posts
Converter is almost always included with the transmission. Only in rare instances will anyone sell a used transmission without a converter. You will never see a reman or new transmission without a converter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts