The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

p1478 p0123 p0106 p0442 po445 p0446 system in limp home mode and battery light on

10K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  jee34 
#1 ·
Mostly this post is to thank this forum and help if someelse has the same problem.

I have a 2003 dodge grand caravan. last night on the way over the big bridge just be fore i get home most my light on the dash flash. battery light comes on. the engine starts running very badly and stalls. I make it over to the side of the bridge. light are working so my battery is ok. I pop the hood and get to check the engine. everything looks ok. I put the hood down try starting it again. It start be is running very rough. I try putting it in Drive and it threatens to stall again I try low and I can go. I quickly determine I am in limp home mode. I make it home. I check under the hood again now that I am in my garage and can see better. everything looks fine. I do the key dance and get the codes that I listed in the title, it looks very scary. I spend the next 3 hours on the internet searching. People talking about alternator, battery, PCM. This is looking worse and worse. Then I find a post on here about a melted wiring harness. The symptoms looks the same. Coolent temp wrong or zero, running rough, similar codes.

Here

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...ght=rough+idle

and here

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/20804-Melted-injector-wiring-harness-2003-Town-and-Country?highlight=p1478

I found that harness it was loose from the mount it is supposed to be attached to and hangin near the exhast manifold. I opened it and found the same as the above posts.

Taped it each wire up fabric tape over electrical tape. put heat shield cover back on and resecured it to post the keeps it away from the manifold. Engine and transmission run perfectly again. I did the key dance again after driving it for 30mins and I only get the battey has been disconnected code.

Thanks You Chrysler Minivan Forum this is the second time you have saved me a ton of money and got me back on the road.

See less See more
#3 ·
Same problem for me 2 years ago and my fuel harness looked identical. This forum saved me a lot of stress. I used self-fusing silicone tape, which you can find at Ace in the electrical section. It can stand high heat and doesn't get gummy over time like vinyl electrical tape. I over-wrapped with more silicone, then thick aluminum foil (broiler wrap) to reflect radiant heat from the exhaust. I suspect when you use max power for a long time, like when I drive up I-80 to Lake Tahoe, the exhaust cross-over gets red hot for a long time and degrades the wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.