The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'96 TC 3.3L 415K miles.

I have a parasitic draw which over a couple of days will kill the battery. The total parasitic draw is .11 with the meter on 10A.

Traced the draw to the Power Distribution Center Fuse 15 which is EATX and is 20Amps. The EATX fuse draw is .07 with the meter on 10A. The right headlight fuse 15A draws .03.

I can find no information worth much on the EATX Fuse. Nor can I find a wiring diagram which shows the fuse except one from BBB Industries which shows the fuse feeding the L9 circuit with an 18Bk/Wt wire which goes to a component with the description - Combination Flasher/DRL Module (Canada) - with the inside of the component stating 1 Fused B(+) and this being shown as in a junction block.

I found a wiring diagram at Auto Zone which does not even list a 15 Fuse.

Nothing on the wiring diagram gives any indication that the 15 Fuse has anything to do with EATX - whatever that is (although I would think something like Electronic Automatic Transaxle) - but there isn't anything on the internet about it.

Anyone who has a good wiring diagram on this, I sure would appreciate a copy. Any information on what the EATX is would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance

·
5000 Club
5,754 Posts
You are correct. EATX means electronic automatic transaxle. My source for diagrams for 15 years has disappeared but if you're looking for free diagrams try here https://cardiagn.com/wiring-diagrams-1997-town/. They have them for a 97 Town & Country which would have been identicle to your 96 if they were for a 96. There are differences for exapmle a 97 used fuse #14 as the EATX fuse. The basics are the same.

I'm baffled as to why the BBB diagram would show that power going to the flasher module. BTW -that's the tall "relay" on your interior fuse panel otherwise known as the junction block.

The 20 amp EATX fuse supplies power to two of three power sources to the transmission control module (TCM) mounted under the hood on the passenger side fender aft and left of the washer fluid bottle. When the EATX relay (in PDC) is actuated that fuse supplies power through the relay's output contacts and on to the TCM. It also supplies power to the TCM when the ignition is off. Hmmm.

Reactions: Earl D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIP, thanks for the information. Attached is the diagram from BBB showing the wiring for 15 Fuse.

The diagram from cardiagn does not appear to list an EATX or 15 fuse, just as you stated. But, they don't list EATX as any other fuse either. I am going to take a look at the 14 fuse and see where it leads.

Fuse15.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wiring diagram from the link RIP provided above is outstanding. It covers every possible thing to do with wiring. There are a couple of differences between the '97 wiring which the diagram provides and the '96 wiring for my van, however, the differences are easy, thus far, to distinguish. For example, the wiring diagram shows Fuse 14 in the Power Distribution Center as being the fuse which powers the Transmission Control Module and the Transmission Control Relay as being the relay for the TCM. My van has those two as Fuse 15 as EATX and EATX Shutdown Relay, respectively.

I checked the ohms from the connector at the Power Distribution Center to the Transmission Control Module for all four wires in the Fuse 15 connector - all wires were at 0 ohms, meaning I have no wiring problem from Fuse 15 at the PDC to the TCM.

Since I am getting a drain from Fuse 15 it would seem to me that the drain would have to be occurring on the Relay side of the circuit since the wires from the Fuse to the TCM are at 0 ohms. ????

I checked 3 of the wires coming off the relay and the only wire which I have not been able to check is the ground wire. The wiring diagram shows the ground as G300. It says that G300 (page 431, Fig 11 of the diagrams) is located in the Cowl.

I think that Figure 11 is saying G300 is up and under the console on the drivers side inside the van. Other searches I have made indicate the cowl is under the windshield wipers, which could mean that G300 is inside the engine compartment - but I don't think that is logical.

Anyone know based on Figure 11 page 431 of the diagram or from experience where G300 would be located?

Also, any observations on where I might have messed up in checking the Fuse wires to the TCM would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As closure on this situation and especially regarding the 1997 vs 1996 wiring diagram and how compatible they are - they aren't at all. Without going into detail, I tried to use the diagram to trace a wire switch should have been easy. The problem with '97 vs '96 is that in many many cases, especially involving junction blocks, the cavity is off by 1. So if it is off by 1 at the JB does that mean it is off by one at the body control module?

Use it but be very observant and careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts