The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am having trouble with a drain of my battery. I checked my battery and it is ok, I check with a new battery and I am still having the dead battery after one day or 2 days of not using the car. I test with a multimeter the drain and I am getting .87 amp, almost an amp. I review fuse by fuse and the fuse HDZ or hazard fuse is the problem, according with the manual and the diagram on it is the fuse #24. I read some causes of this issue like it could be the ignition switch or it could be Body Control Module or the Cluster. I disconnected the cluster and the drain get lower to .37 that I understand that is still high for a car. I checked my switch and realize that I can remove the key in any position and that when I go all the way down with the key (supose OFF position) I can still roll down my power windows that 2 things supose not to happen. So now I do not know where exactly is my problem and how to fix it. Seems to be a common issue since many people have that issue but I can't get to the source of my problem. Is there any idea you guys can share with me? Thanks in advance.* :)

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying. I check the body grounds but everything seems to be right. Not a problem neither in the injector wiring harness but it is in good shape. I bought this van with only 7000 miles it was for a old lady who did not use it much so it is still in good shape. I put a stereo on it and an alarm as a aftermarket electronic. The only other fuse that low the drin is the IOD fuse. My brother in law did some test with the cluster disconecting it and only conecting the cluster positive and negative pins and did not draw any power at all. After he simulate 12V power to the pin 12 that is the wake up signal and the cluster did not draw any energy and when he simulate .5 V the draining was .87 amp so he said that is the Body Control Module that do not send the signal of wake up on pin #12 and that cause the draining. He claims that cluster is fine and the BCM is the problem but I do know S***t about electrical problems. Any idea is much appreciate it.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,865 Posts
By chance, have you considered a weak battery?

Even with only 7,000 miles the battery voltage could have gone 'low' and 'confused' the BCM. Do the instrument needles 'jump' when turning the ignition key on? That is one sign of a weak battery in these vans.

Another easy diagnostic is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15 - 30 minutes (a 'Cold Boot', as it were). Assure that you have dissipated any residual voltage by touching the positive & negative leads for a few seconds before connecting.

Rule of thumb for many van owners is to replace a battery every 5 years to avoid issues like this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did consider the weak battery so I tested with a new battery that my brother in law got about 2 months ago but I still have the same results. I check and I can get the Body Control Module for 16 dlls in a junk yard but I read that is abfew things to consider like the serial number and the settings that the van have like alarm and so on. I also read that this part store the mileage so if I replace it will mess up with the mileage that currently have. I am so sorry I meant that the car have 70,000 miles that is still pretty decent. I do not how to proceed at this point, any idea is more than welcome. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts