The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently (like, yesterday) discovered that the previous owner of my T&C removed the passenger side parking brake and associated hardware. All that was left was the cable and the lever. Lever got caught in the wheel assembly somewhere and got smashed (and put a couple gouges in my rotor and the backplate - thanks, jackass)

As an aside - the levers are expensive, so don't ever lose them or get them mangled like I did.

Looking around, I'm not seeing many videos, photo albums, etc. on changing/replacing these brakes. And the maintenance book isn't much help to us visual folks - it has exactly two pictures. Makes sense, because the only time I ever think about a parking break is when I go to use it before I jack up a car and find out it doesn't work. Does anyone know of any solid videos or posts with photos on doing these? Never done anything shoe-related, so this is all new to me. If there isn't anything, no biggie, I can always throw something together while I'm working on it.

TIA!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a follow-up: I'm hurtin for cash right now, and I noticed that pads from my local junkyard run about $0.99 a piece.

Seeing as it's the parking brake, which isn't used often if at all, if I found a decent set of shoes at my local junkyard, would it be a bad idea to go and grab a few of those to replace on my van? I'm making a run for my brother soon anyway for a couple parts on his car, so I figured I could just grab it while I'm there.

But if it's a really bad idea, I can suck it up and grab the stuff online. Just wanting some opinions

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,556 Posts
Brake pads are not expensive, but $1.00 is too much when you are short in cash.

Nothing wrong with used pads if still have some life. Just make sure those pads are not crystallized due to driving with parking brake on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake pads are not expensive, but $1.00 is too much when you are short in cash.

Nothing wrong with used pads if still have some life. Just make sure those pads are not crystallized due to driving with parking brake on.
I definitely agree. I'm not short in the sense of "I can't pay rent," more in the sense of "I spent $50 on brakes and $70 on rotors this week, so if I could avoid spending another $50 on parking brakes, that'd be great"

Of course, it's all up to whether I can find them. If I can't, I'll get new pads, it'll just be about a month :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as an update - the pads are easy enough tbh. Springs are somewhat of a PITA, but it's all good. Couldn't find a suitable set of pads at the junkyard, so I think I'll replace it when I have time and $$. I'll have to replace the backplate as well - $9 at a junkyard or $250 from Mopar :lol: but.... It'll take me some time to pull at a junkyard more than likely. Those bolts are probably rusted AF

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just as an update - the pads are easy enough tbh. Springs are somewhat of a PITA, but it's all good. Couldn't find a suitable set of pads at the junkyard, so I think I'll replace it when I have time and $$. I'll have to replace the backplate as well - $9 at a junkyard or $250 from Mopar :lol: but.... It'll take me some time to pull at a junkyard more than likely. Those bolts are probably rusted AF
Nothing wrong with junk yard parts, and you learn how to take things apart getting them. Plenty of Chrysler mini vans to pick over, but my 25 year old Volvo's are hard to come by today!
Dan

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing wrong with junk yard parts, and you learn how to take things apart getting them. Plenty of Chrysler mini vans to pick over, but my 25 year old Volvo's are hard to come by today!
Dan
Volvo parts are so damn hard to find at junkyards. My 850 would eat me alive in parts when I needed to replace them. Thankfully, the only things that ever failed on either of those were parts that you would want new anyway (stuff like starters, alternators, etc.). Plus, on 25 year old cars, it was all factory parts. They just don't make cars like that anymore.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a similar problem and I took the coward's way out and never replaced the parts--my parking brake is now inoperative. I use large rubber wheel stops from Harbor Freight when i am up on ramps or jack stands.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a similar problem and I took the coward's way out and never replaced the parts--my parking brake is now inoperative. I use large rubber wheel stops from Harbor Freight when i am up on ramps or jack stands.
I'm gonna get around to the parking brake.... sometime :lol: We've just been strapped for cash recently, and any spare cash ends up going to "oh sh**" moments around here.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm gonna get around to the parking brake.... sometime :lol: We've just been strapped for cash recently, and any spare cash ends up going to "oh sh**" moments around here.
I held onto a replacement parking brake cable for 3 years on my van waiting for the time and the courage. Once I got into the job, it was a battle, too, but I figured it out eventually.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I held onto a replacement parking brake cable for 3 years on my van waiting for the time and the courage. Once I got into the job, it was a battle, too, but I figured it out eventually.
Ya know, I totally understand. I went to pull everything to take a look at it on the left side of my car, and undid the cable just to make it a little easier. Those suckers are hard to work with.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I bought this 2002 TnC Limited from my mom's estate. I know its history.

We all used it for a few months while donating items and runs to thrift.
At one point the driver rear wheel was smoking hot and it turned out that one of my sisters used the parking brake and it did not release on the RH rear wheel (disc /drum parking) brake.
I have rotated the tires and have inspected it on the lift once, but have not taken the time to disassemble inspect why it would not release. (My brother manually reached under and pulled the mechanism and nobody has set the parking brake since)

Is you parking brake the drum shoes inside the rear brake disc rotor?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is you parking brake the drum shoes inside the rear brake disc rotor?
Yes. Pretty easy to get off and a little bit of a pain to get back on, but not awful. Much easier if you take the whole wheel hub off (I couldn't get mine with the bolts being rusted to death, but I've seen some videos that make it much easier)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts