The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a very slow oil drip coming from the passenger side, dripping down to the oil pan. First thought is an oil leak from the oil pan. However, I recently placed dye in the engine oil and the oil that’s showing up on the pan does not appear to show up on the UV light. The axle portion nearing the middle/passenger side seems greased with oil. After snapping these photos below, it appears to be the ball joint.

1. Leaning towards a GSP brand for $85 shipped from Amazon. Reman is about $280.

2. could this be a leak from the rack and pinion instead? Feel like it is not as my power steering reservoir does not indicate any lower amount. It’s been consistently the same level. Could this be any other leak?

3.Should I change the suspension while I’m at it? The suspension does run a bit rough on rough roads but not to the point where it’s bottoming out. Car does have about 110k miles now. What suspension would others recommend to have a lot smoother ride?

Any help appreciated. On my fourth leak (Transmission/AC/radiator were leaking), ownership of this van for only 3 months.
Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Bumper Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Bicycle part Tool Microphone Line Audio equipment

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,323 Posts
Axle contains grease, not oil. That is not the source of your leak. Check the rear valve cover, PCV valve, and valley for oil. Looks like it's coming from the trans side. If you see oil on top of the trans and in the valley, it's the oil cooler and you should not drive this until you get it fixed.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sorry to be off topic, but your sway bar endlink looks like it might be loose and missing the grease zerk. Were you in the middle of working on it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Axle contains grease, not oil. That is not the source of your leak. Check the rear valve cover, PCV valve, and valley for oil. Looks like it's coming from the trans side. If you see oil on top of the trans and in the valley, it's the oil cooler and you should not drive this until you get it fixed.
Changed the trans cooler lines a week ago, no leaks on top of trans and no leaks from the cooler itself. I’ll check the passenger side to see if there is any leaks coming from up top.
My radiator was recently leaking and I did pour some coolant into the radiator to refill (and some may have poured out). Maybe this is coolant mixing with old grease or oil. It was a strange green color and it would make sense since the coolant was greenish.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,323 Posts
In another thread you put dye in the engine oil. That could explain your green tint.

Really every time, but especially after having repaired multiple leaks already, you should start to look for leaks by cleaning the engine first. Much easier to see oil running on clean metal than gooped up dirt.

Reactions: TCNightfall

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In another thread you put dye in the engine oil. That could explain your green tint.

Really every time, but especially after having repaired multiple leaks already, you should start to look for leaks by cleaning the engine first. Much easier to see oil running on clean metal than gooped up dirt.
Good tip on engine cleaning. The green tint shows without UV light. When shining a UV light, it does not shine fluorescent green, so I deduced this may not be engine oil. My first guess was transmission axle seal, but realized the passenger-side seal is pretty far away from the oil pan to be dripping like this. I will inspect the PCV valve today for leaks. I did recently change all the manifold gaskets. I’ll inspect there as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Concur with the others. Clean and re-assess. Doubt it's a leaking CV boot. Couple of thoughts on your other posts, though:

Leaning towards a GSP brand for $85 shipped from Amazon. Reman is about $280.
I'd lean away from that. "GSP" and others of that ilk are cheap Chinese knock-offs. Period. There's a reason a Mopar reman axle is 280 and GSP is 85. You get what you pay for.

Same goes for those greaseable end links. Those are aftermarket. A pair of Mopar links can be had for a few extra bucks.

It was a strange green color and it would make sense since the coolant was greenish.
Did you have the cooling system serviced or was the job DIY? The coolant should not be green (or green-ish). Most of the 2014s use purple OAT coolant, which is a 10-year, 150K-mile formula.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Concur with the others. Clean and re-assess. Doubt it's a leaking CV boot. Couple of thoughts on your other posts, though:

I'd lean away from that. "GSP" and others of that ilk are cheap Chinese knock-offs. Period. There's a reason a Mopar reman axle is 280 and GSP is 85. You get what you pay for.

Same goes for those greaseable end links. Those are aftermarket. A pair of Mopar links can be had for a few extra bucks.

Did you have the cooling system serviced or was the job DIY? The coolant should not be green (or green-ish). Most of the 2014s use purple OAT coolant, which is a 10-year, 150K-mile formula.
I bought the van used and it appears it has universal antifreeze that is greenish in color. The radiator has a leak at the top and recently noticed it when it seeped out after a long drive. I did put a temporary high heat epoxy in where the crack appears and topped off for now. New radiator just came in and will install the new one along with a new Mopar Thermostat tomorrow. I’m also getting a gallon of the Mopar coolant tomorrow.

Short story is the van was abused, on a rebuilt trans, has leaks almost everywhere and needed many repairs. Van rides rough over bumps also so I’ll probably do the suspension when I handle the passenger axle, alignment all the same time.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was wrong, the oil dripping from the pan is in fact engine oil as the dye is a whitish neon under the UV light. It’s not white under a regular flash light. Checked the brand of the dye and turns out others show similar color.
So it is engine oil. Here are the pictures I took tonight under the UV
Purple Automotive lighting Violet Bumper Gas

Hood Purple Automotive lighting Violet Electronic instrument

I sprayed engine cleaner on most of the parts around this area and wiped it down. I’ll see if that area is still leaking.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,323 Posts
That is the fuel line.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Checked. End links were fine
If I'm too pushy tell me, but it really does look like at a minimum it's missing the grease zerk. Yours looks an awful lot like the Quicksteer brand that comes with uninstalled zerks.

Microphone Peripheral Output device Audio equipment Font

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Circle

When installed, the zerk should look like this Moog:

Microphone Product Font Audio equipment Screenshot

·
Registered
2008 Town and Country 3.8L
161 Posts
If I'm too pushy tell me, but it really does look like at a minimum it's missing the grease zerk. Yours looks an awful lot like the Quicksteer brand that comes with uninstalled zerks.

View attachment 64249

View attachment 64250

View attachment 64251
In this case it looks like the quick steer and moog are the same parts. They look similar and have the same part number, K7258. If anything the op could buy an assortment of grease fittings instead of replacing the end links.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The Moog looks like a one piece back face and body cylinder. The Quicksteer looks like the back face is captured by the rolled/folded edge of the body cylinder. Quicksteer is the economy line from the makers of Moog, so there are bound to be some similarities though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

View attachment 64249

View attachment 64250

View attachment 64251
Not pushy at all. The first week I got the van, had a shop change all the broken mounts and they found out the sway bar bushings were blown too so they slapped on whatever parts there was. I’m not too concerned since the part should be easy to remove and replace. I did order all the struts and think that’s something needing to be done on this van with 110k miles and what appears to be the original OEM suspension

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Turns out the coolant was NOT green. It just looked green under a flashlight in my dark garage. I replaced the radiator at my garage with natural sunlight and the fluid was all orange. The new Mopar purple coolant I installed now shines “orange” under the flashlight in the dark garage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts