The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am waiting in my van for my kids activities to end I notice a whirling noise (electric motor running) with van turned off and key out of the ignition. I would think it could be vents and so on going back to their home position however the noise repeats itself over and over. Nothing really wrong just me being curious.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there,

If for whirling noise you really mean an electric motor, can it be the a/c fan, gas pump... but it can be coolant returning to the reservoir thank? If you are sure that's not liquid related, is it continuous or does it eventually fade out and stop?

On my previous Blazer I had an issue once where the A/C actuator window was returning back slowly to the closed position causing a buzzing noise for 5 seconds. On a GMC Suburban I once had an issue with the Gas Pump that at ignition off was still pumping for few seconds and then shutting of.

Edit: Just Noticed you specify Passenger Side, can it be the A/C fan slowly stopping and probably producing noise, noticing the electric mirror changing position?

When I am waiting in my van for my kids activities to end I notice a whirling noise (electric motor running) with van turned off and key out of the ignition. I would think it could be vents and so on going back to their home position however the noise repeats itself over and over. Nothing really wrong just me being curious.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
it is just the vent doors re-calibrating themselves. Nothing to worry about. there have been a few threads on this.

·
Registered
921 Posts
noise

I have heard the same thing without even having the keys in the ignition in our new 2014. It does sound like an air door doing something , just weird it happens after the keys are pulled . I guess all vehicles do something like this, my Ascender I can be outside of the vehicle 2 minutes after I shut it off and after this much time you hear a couple of solenoids click a couple of times in the back of the vehicle, have no idea what that would be . Think the only thing back there is the BCM in the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The HVAC system performs calibration tests by itself. The A/C-heater control learns the blend-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the blend door actuator circuits. I would assume that this is contributing to many of the noises being described above.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It doesn't even have to have been recently shut-off. Our 2013 can have been sitting a day. If I go in after something (no key in ignition) I can hear blend-door actuators actuating.

You can never exercise a fragile, expensive and near impossible component to get to enough I say. LOL!

·
Registered
921 Posts
It doesn't even have to have been recently shut-off. Our 2013 can have been sitting a day. If I go in after something (no key in ignition) I can hear blend-door actuators actuating.

You can never exercise a fragile, expensive and near impossible component to get to enough I say. LOL!

Yeah that's true I think all you have to do is open a door and that will set it off.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Super Moderator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,207 Posts
If you have the touch screen radio you could be hearing it boot up. When you open a door the radio starts the boot process so the radio will be fully booted by the time you get situated in you van. You can hear the radio's cooling fan running as well as the hard drive reading and/or writing to the disk.

At least that's the way my '09 with the MyGig radio works.

George

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for responding. Glad to know me and my van are "normal"!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The HVAC system performs calibration tests by itself. The A/C-heater control learns the blend-air door stop positions during the calibration procedure and will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for any problems it detects in the blend door actuator circuits. I would assume that this is contributing to many of the noises being described above.
can you elaborate on this? I have 2014 dodge grand caravan with blinking rear defrost. I hear a humming sound. I continue to disconnect battery cable but nothing changes.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Caravan 35th Anniversary Edition
51 Posts
I have a 2019 35th anniversary edition, with the automatic temp control. Even if I don't have it on Auto, when I'm driving, and stopped at a light, I can hear often hear something that sounds like the blend doors moving...a kind of electric motor sound. This is weird, only have 2,000 km on it so don't know what's normal on these vans. But at least the air flow goes where it's supposed to if I change it, and so does the temperature...so I assume this is normal. Can anyone confirm that this is so?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found my issue. The plastic piece on blend door that is inside the air inlet housing broke off. The actuator turns the door to floor from vents. On startup, the calibration cannot be completed because the actuator will just continue to turn.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You may have just solved my issue as well with my DGC 2013. Going to check mine now. Could you take a photo of where the part was broken ? It would help a whole lot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is this also present ? In the rear vents ? Also did you have to pull the glove box to gain access to it ? Or could you do it by simply pulling out the right side vent grill ? Also was your humming sound coming from the rear middle of your car ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes this was the humming sound because the actuator was continuously turning since the the plastic piece was broken. Yes I needed to remove it the glove box. Not sure what you mean about it being present in rear vents.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts