The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a co-worker who bought a new Wrangler with a 3.6L and he is looking to upgrade his exhaust not for performance gain per say but so he can hear his engine.
He has on several occasions looked down at his tach at highway speeds to find he is running 4,000 RPM after using the auto-stick. The engine is so quiet he had no idea he was in a lower gear.
He has MANY options for cat back exhaust systems to choose from for a Wrangler.
I looked at the same companies to see what they have for our vans, NOTHING...

Now that I'm driving my 13 full time I can understand what he is talking about. My van is very quiet even under full throttle. I would entertain the idea of having it sound a bit throatier.

I have sent requests into these three companies. The more people who do the more likely a system would get developed for our vans. Even if your just curious to see what they come up with it could help get a system out there.

http://www.dynomax.com/email-the-dynomax-tech/

http://www.magnaflow.com/support/contact-us/

Borla actaully states on their site that they develop the systems is Southern CA and if you let them use your vehicle for development you get a free system.:thumb:
http://www.borla.com/search/?fields...n:caravan~+OR+Model:caravan~+OR+sku:caravan~)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interestingly, the Borla R&D facility is in my hometown...Oxnard, CA.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Replace the muffler with a performance muffler ( parts store muscle car ) and remove the rear rez .

Quick cheap and will sound good did that on my 00 sport .

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replace the muffler with a performance muffler ( parts store muscle car ) and remove the rear rez .

Quick cheap and will sound good did that on my 00 sport .
I have done my own exhaust mods on other vehicles but I want to avoid being the guinea pig when it comes to exhaust on this 5th gen/3.6L that has 2 mufflers and a rez. The last thing I want is a highway speed droan.
I would like to install a system that has has some type of R&D on it and be able to have my old system to reinstall down the road.

Reactions: 2019 DGC GT

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a diagram of what the 5th gen system looks like. Not as cut an dry as they used to be..:(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeez so many bends and turns. Looks like a snake. And, which ones are mufflers and which ones are resonators? Maybe a primary and secondary mufflers there at top of picture, and the resonator at bottom?

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one at the very top of the page is the tailpipe end so I "assume" that is the resonator.....:confused:
The first muffler sits right next to the spare tire and looks like it belongs on a Farm all tractor..:)

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Ive run these vans with out the whole second muffler an resonator assembly(10) and it is quite entertaining. These 3.6's sound really good, almost like a high revving v12. I think the equal length piping after the cats to the y pipe really produce a crisp, pure sound. The high compression and considerably aggressive cam profiles just make it sound beefy. Actually these motors have aggressive enough cams to where they cant pull enough vacuum to run the brake booster, look on the drivers side above the bell housing. That little Bosch unit is a vacuum pump for your brakes.

I can say that with the exhaust dumped directly under the van, there is a lot of cabin noise and drone. Maybe out the back is another story, but I never got that fancy with it. If you want to hear it, there is a slip joint underneath the passenger slider door for the muffler. You will probably have to use a 13mm gear wrench to loosen it because there is no way to get a ratchet in there IIRC. Then separate the pipes and go for a test drive, I promise you wont believe your ears.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ive run these vans with out the whole second muffler an resonator assembly(10) and it is quite entertaining. These 3.6's sound really good, almost like a high revving v12. I think the equal length piping after the cats to the y pipe really produce a crisp, pure sound. The high compression and considerably aggressive cam profiles just make it sound beefy. Actually these motors have aggressive enough cams to where they cant pull enough vacuum to run the brake booster, look on the drivers side above the bell housing. That little Bosch unit is a vacuum pump for your brakes.

I can say that with the exhaust dumped directly under the van, there is a lot of cabin noise and drone. Maybe out the back is another story, but I never got that fancy with it. If you want to hear it, there is a slip joint underneath the passenger slider door for the muffler. You will probably have to use a 13mm gear wrench to loosen it because there is no way to get a ratchet in there IIRC. Then separate the pipes and go for a test drive, I promise you wont believe your ears.
I might give that a try just to see what it sounds like. :biggrin:

As for the vac pump if you try stopping these vans with the key on engine off you can feel and hear that pump running.
A great idea if the engine has stalled. The brakes will work well but the power steering would still be out.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found this video of a 3.6L van with the muffler deleted. It sounds just like you said.
Kind of weird huh? :eekkkk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2a3H3p4sDU

PS: I hope I'm not seeing a "M" plate on that van....:Wow1:

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Hey, you found my video. Thats a friends van. You wont catch me driving a company car like that, let alone post it on the internet.

The video sounds good but its so much better in person.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Today I tired something else to help make my van "sportier".
I took the factory inlet ducting off of the air box.

This wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I ended up having to pull the washer bottle to have enough room to get it out.
The result is too much inlet noise for my liking, even under light accel.
I will be adding my own duct so the engine will get fresh air not hot under hood air. A short duct hose should also help to quiet it down a little since what I'm looking for is that "throaty" sound under hard accel.

I also took another look at the exhaust. There is a lot off room for just about any muffler I would what to run.
I going to see if can find a rear section a wreaking yard that I can play with. That way I'll always have mine to reinstall.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
i think a dump valve would be fun but would get old quick as you couldn't "tune " the sound.

A "cold air " with open filter will balance the sound when the exhaust is done and make it lots more fun.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you're havin' a good time! How about a dump valve for the exhaust?
i think a dump valve would be fun but would get old quick as you couldn't "tune " the sound.

A "cold air " with open filter will balance the sound when the exhaust is done and make it lots more fun.
A 'Tuned" dump system with a muffler on the valve outlet has possibilities... :thumb:

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
So did the ball ever start rolling on this project?

And to support my aggressive cam statement.... I had the intake off a 3.6 and look at that lift:Wow1:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts