The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Town and Country with 140k from a pastor and his wife. I I thought I could trust them and didn't take it for a test drive before I bought it. Boy do I regret that. I from day one felt this vibration that starts right after 60 miles per hour and is worse up to 70 and then stays there after that. With a Cup of water in the van it's like you're in the Jurassic Park movie and everything is constantly vibrating. The other thing it did is when it would shift into final gear it would shake and shutter similar to the same feeling of shaking it did from 60 on up. And then one time under hard acceleration it set off the check engine light which started flashing and the van lost power and started shuttering like it was doing holy now even worse. Immediately I got off the throttle and let the vehicle coast down. As I did so the check engine light stopped flashing and the engine smoothed back out and I regain full power. I should mention hear that by fullpower I mean it has always ran a little rough 5 misfiring a little you could feel it hesitating end pulsing sometimes then under the same throttle pressure that you were under the whole time. So now on to the what I have replaced end still have no resolution. I took it to a mechanic gave it a tune up he said for $700 and replaced all the plugs and now I come to find out only replaced the 2,4 and 6 coil packs???? I'm baffled by this especially since Chrysler calls for that to be replaced at 100k, and since you're replacing 3 of them why wouldn't you replace all of them? And just for the record I'm not covered under the extended warranty for the head issue. Which is what the mechanic thinks is going and I'm starting to because I'm now and then getting the smell of anti freeze in the vehicle. So I took it back to him after I got it back from this tune up and it still set off the check engine light and it read out that the number 6 cylinder was bad. So I now have 3 coil packs to replace it with but before I get so I took it to the Chrysler dealership to have them read it out with their computer and ask them to find the vibration. they charge me $97 in told me I had snow in my rim and that there was no check engine lights being set off to tell me they thought I had snow in my room after they took it for a ride. So I then took the dealership manager for a ride and showed him the vibration is mechanic said it wasn't doing. I was told to bring it back on Monday but needed to leave for a trip. So over the weekend I found a guy with a shop who helped me replace the front cv axles and wheel bearings along with struts and shocks all around. But we didn't do the coils so I could take it to the dealership now that the check engine light came on again under hard acceleration. So the vibration is not as bad for sure but it's definitely still there from 60 to 70 specifically 62-66???????????

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,427 Posts
Use paragraphs... I'm not getting lost trying to read that jumbled mess again.

Tell your mechanic to choke on it. Doing half the engine is not a tune up. Make sure he leaves his crack rock at home when he comes to do the rear bank too. In the future, don't spend good money on crackheads.

All your issues could be, and likely are, due to misfires. You said it has a #5 misfire and didn't do anything to address that. That is the first place to start.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,427 Posts
Oh, and since he was stupid enough to only do half the engine and call it done, he most likely didn't gap the plugs to .044" either.

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.0
586 Posts
Sounds like a mis-firing or non-firing coil. Been there done that twice. As mentioned above, check the gap on all of the plugs, replace the OE coils, use dielectric grease on the plug-to-coil connections, and check everything out that they have touched. Shouldn't need to replace the coil springs unless the van is sagging really bad. Our '09 GC with 175k miles still has the OE springs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can determine if the vibes are generally from the wheels or engine by running at the vibe speed and shifting into neutral, to let the engine drop to idle and see if the vibes get better or worse, narrowing your diagnosis. The parts these 'mechanics' want to change show how little they know about vehicles.
If you don't feel like you understand what I suggested or cannot do it safely, don't do it.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,427 Posts
Might want to remove the rear valve cover and inspect the cam and rocker.
He might, but I doubt he'd be willing/able to since he paid $700 for the easy half of a tune up. Unless he's hearing ticking, that shouldn't be an issue, but there's the chance the previous owner let it slap until it flung the rocker out or rounded the cam lobe.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
That's a lot of words for someone frustrated beyond words.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,427 Posts
I've had similar vibrations with my 2010. Both times it was fuel injectors that had failed. Maybe look into those as well.
Definitely possible, but I think his 1/2 tune up is most likely to blame. He has a #5 misfire, but his "mechanic" only did 2, 4, and 6. #5 is probably the most worn down plug. Refreshing the front half of the engine likely just made it even worse.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I also have a 2013 T&C. Man, I feel for you. I wonder why he just replaced the front three coils. Makes me wonder if he even replaced the rear plugs. I just replaced my plugs and it's not that big of a job. You have to take the intake manifold off, so once you do, you have easy access to the back bank.

What are the tires like on your van? I just ask as mine had the same vibration as yours and it was bad, old, worn out tires. I replaced them and it drove like new again. This wouldn't explain any codes you were getting though. Replacing wheel bearings, axles, struts sounds like throwing parts at it hoping one or the other will solve the problem. New suspension and driveline components can definitely lessen the symptoms even if they are not the offending part. Probably not what you want to hear, but these mechanics should know better.

Some of your symptoms sound like they may be transmission, and possibly torque converter related. At 140000, your 62TE transmission probably needs servicing. I recently read somewhere that the ECU can misinterpret transmission issues (roughness) as a misfire, though I'm not sure where I read that, or if in fact it is true. I would ask the mechanic what codes he pulled.

Finally, and you may not feel comfortable doing this, but I'd be knocking on Pastor's door and seeing how Christian he's feeling with his pocket book. Doesn't really sound like there was much disclosure there. I tend to be a little obsessive when purchasing a used vehicle. I bought my T&C from a dealership and test drove it no less than 3 times under every conceivable condition I could.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,427 Posts
These engines have a pretty big misfire tolerance. Once it's bad enough for the computer to detect, you're feeling the engine shake a lot. He might have suspension issues too, but #5 is what's doing most of it.

Unless the transmission has a serious failure like a sticking torque converter and pump, it's not likely to be picked up as a misfire. A broken flex plate could cause a knock code though. But I don't think he has trans issues that serious. Fluid and filter are likely overdue for a change, but it's not going to fix the shake.

He didn't say what price he bought it for. Could have got it cheap because pastor knew it had an issue. Most pastors I know are old men that don't drive fast, so since the issue became noticeable at 60, there's a chance the pastor never even experienced it or only experienced a minor issue with it. We don't know enough to assume either way.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,427 Posts
One person that for sure needs to cough up some money is that so called "mechanic" that tuned up the bank that didn't have the misfire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buy a code reader. Do a leak down test. If your take the intake off again. replace the oil cooler while your at it.
Double check the VIN and check online if your engine is really not covered by any warranty.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
These engines have a pretty big misfire tolerance. Once it's bad enough for the computer to detect, you're feeling the engine shake a lot. He might have suspension issues too, but #5 is what's doing most of it.

Unless the transmission has a serious failure like a sticking torque converter and pump, it's not likely to be picked up as a misfire. A broken flex plate could cause a knock code though. But I don't think he has trans issues that serious. Fluid and filter are likely overdue for a change, but it's not going to fix the shake.

He didn't say what price he bought it for. Could have got it cheap because pastor knew it had an issue. Most pastors I know are old men that don't drive fast, so since the issue became noticeable at 60, there's a chance the pastor never even experienced it or only experienced a minor issue with it. We don't know enough to assume either way.
Good points, all.

Reactions: Sienile
1 - 16 of 16 Posts