The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
Take your sensors off your old one before swapping! That video didn't mention it, but the coolant temp sensor has a different connector on the newer version.

Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
I wonder how many of these people with damaged 2014+ oil coolers do their own oil changes. I'm thinking zero. Lube shops love to over-tighten the cap, which is the #1 cause of failures.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
That's why I do my own changes, but there were reports, especially in Jeeps, of crack/leaks before 1st oil change was even done.
I've seen some of the rocks those Wranglers try to climb. The jarring forces of rock climbing can really stress the top heavy filter adapter.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
A ratcheting cap would have been a nice touch. A downside being if the loosening mechanism slips. Ever had a gas cap that refused to come off? They're a real pain. One time I broke the head off one to get to the actual threaded portion. Another time I got smart and put 2 screws through it to link the head with the threads.

What would be even worse is if the ratchet slips while going back on. Tech thinks it's tight and a mile later, you're out of oil.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
The needed part is 68105583af. I've searched a few auto parts websites myself, but they are all out of stock.
This repair alone will cost $880 plus tax. They want me to pay $135 for the diagnostic, but will only add that to the servicing price if done within 30 days (there's no ETA on when this part will be available).
Not the exact part number, but it's an identical part. It may have a different sensor in the lower position that needs to be swapped for the one on yours.

If the dealer can't supply the part, they should allow the diagnostics to be taken off the repair cost at a later date when they get the part and then start the 30 day window.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
It's an all metal aftermarket one. You swap your cap, sensors, and cooler block over to it and all the cracked housing issues should be a thing of the past. They said it should be available at the major parts stores mid-July.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
Reactions: Sunvanse

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
So, I’m curious. I have a 2011 DGC and this part “does not fit” according to many sites (including Dorman). Based on most YouTube university videos, I’m guessing it would fit but the oil filter would just be the newer design? Thoughts?
It will, you just have to get more parts. You need the cooler block, cap, and filter from the 2014+. I'd also grab spare sensors in case you can't get the old ones off.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
Should have been made metal OEM instead of having to go aftermarket... as with all the other plastic cooling system bits.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
Having the sam issues 2017 ram replaced the housing and it still leaking replaced the gaskets and it’s still leaking I’m so stumped right now truck has 60000
Damaged valve covers can make it look like an oil cooler leak.

Reactions: 97K15004WD

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
It's very hard to get right now. AutoZone has the best price around me. You are going for the upgraded metal one (Dorman 926-876) right?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
I never had issues with mine and did my own oil changes. Swapped it as preventative maintenance. I had one explode on me after taking the cap off one time. I had pulled the filter then raised the Jeep to drain the oil and heard what sounded like a pellet gun shooting the roof of the shop. It was the oil bypass valve, it was either a '12 or '13. Aside from that I saw plenty fail between 110-120k, often leaking near the bottom of the filter tower.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,871 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts