The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

321 - 340 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Who's doing your oil changes? The filter cap does not have to be very tight. Over tightening, then having to use brute force to remove it, could be why it's failing. 2015's did not even document the problem that this thread is about.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,003 Posts
Who's doing your oil changes? The filter cap does not have to be very tight. Over tightening, then having to use brute force to remove it, could be why it's failing. 2015's did not even document the problem that this thread is about.
+ 1

Oil filter cap is sealed by a O-Ring, that means no tightening is needed at all. As soon as that cap correctly seats, stop turning.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Unfortunately most places, even dealerships get their least experienced techs perform oil changes. So while you're sipping that "free" coffee/late whatever, they are learning to turn wrenches on your dime.
And they go crazy on the oil filters and drain plugs because it's safer than having these become loose and dump all of the oil out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those of you who got your Plastic Oil Assembly part replaced, did it break again?
Mine (2014) broke in 2016 and I just found out that it broke again. Vehicle is under 5 years old (by 2 months) and mileage is 99,9947km. Called the dealer today and he is to call me back to say if it will be covered...He asked who did the oil change and said that I did. That should be interesting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately most places, even dealerships get their least experienced techs perform oil changes. So while you're sipping that "free" coffee/late whatever, they are learning to turn wrenches on your dime.
And they go crazy on the oil filters and drain plugs because it's safer than having these become loose and dump all of the oil out.
Worth repeating! I got a battery replaced once by one of those techs where he tried to connect the battery the wrong way. Ended up blowing a fuse but a week later the alternator died....Another time a stripped oil plug and another time only one side of the pan got drained because he didn't know that it had 2 sides and 2 drain plugs (Mustang 5.0) and...

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,003 Posts
Worth repeating! I got a battery replaced once by one of those techs where he tried to connect the battery the wrong way. Ended up blowing a fuse but a week later the alternator died....Another time a stripped oil plug and another time only one side of the pan got drained because he didn't know that it had 2 sides and 2 drain plugs (Mustang 5.0) and...
Only a very stupid person would do it.

Battery positive side is bigger than the negative side.

While attempting to connect the wrong clamp on the first terminal should notice it is the wrong side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only a very stupid person would do it.

Battery positive side is bigger than the negative side.

While attempting to connect the wrong clamp on the first terminal should notice it is the wrong side.
When I saw the hammer swinging and then the vice grip, I walked across in the shop to a mechanic doing a brake job and asked him to come and check on this guy. He walked over, had a look at the battery and then looked at the kid and called him stupid! His exact word!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine (2014) broke in 2016 and I just found out that it broke again. Vehicle is under 5 years old (by 2 months) and mileage is 99,9947km. Called the dealer today and he is to call me back to say if it will be covered...He asked who did the oil change and said that I did. That should be interesting!
Should be interesting indeed. Let us know the outcome. A 2016 replacement should be the latest upgrade, that shouldn't have failed. Dealer will probably blame you, but their entry level techs that perform oil changes are not at all careful with this plastic part.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,003 Posts
Worth repeating! I got a battery replaced once by one of those techs where he tried to connect the battery the wrong way. Ended up blowing a fuse but a week later the alternator died....
When I saw the hammer swinging and then the vice grip, I walked across in the shop to a mechanic doing a brake job and asked him to come and check on this guy. He walked over, had a look at the battery and then looked at the kid and called him stupid! His exact word!
Is that you looking at your mechanics?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. It has been repaired of this oil filter adapter leak 3 times. It seems that they start leaking after running over a good sized pot holes. There are three elongated o-ring seals on the bottom that harden and shrink with time. I have checked all parts replaced and did not see any visible leakage through a crack. The leakage is definitely caused by the elongated orings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should be interesting indeed. Let us know the outcome. A 2016 replacement should be the latest upgrade, that shouldn't have failed. Dealer will probably blame you, but their entry level techs that perform oil changes are not at all careful with this plastic part.
The dealer replaced the oil filter adapter at their cost without any argument. I just made it with the 5 years 100,000 km warranty with only 2 months left and a 99,947 km reading on the odometer. Hopefully, it will not start leaking again...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 300S AWD 3.6 started doing this after taking it in to get about 7 different recalls fixed. I change my own oil and did so about a month before taking it in for recall service. I'm almost to my 100,000 miles. I called the dealership and immediately they said they would have to inspect it and tell me if it was due to error, which the guy made it seemed like they already weren't going to cover it. I call Chrysler and spoke to two rude people that didn't help much. The oil filter housing adapter itself is covered under warranty, but can be voided if an aftermarket filter was used, which from my research cannot void the warranty. Chrysler basically said it would be up to the technician to inspect and make the call... Not very cut and dry I may add. The catch is that the dealership cannot inspect it unless they remove it, and once removed it can't be put back on for me to take it somewhere else when they decide not to fix it under warranty. Which will then cost $600.00. They get you one way or another... It's not an expensive part, and it's not all too difficult to replace, just time consuming and patience.
Chrysler has lost my business going forward... I would like to have have an SRT challenger at some point, but probably not now... after reading online they're good at getting out of covering your warranty and they're people on the phone are extremely rude.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Just put a mopar filter before you go and don't over tighten the cap. You say that you're just about at 100,000 miles, what is your "in service" date? My 2014 is almost 6 years old, so even though I only have 55,000 miles, it would not be covered for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the oil filter assembly peice replaced on my 2014 Town and country. I was leaking like crazy. The engine had oil all over it. I am at 117k miles. Theres another piece with like 6 or 8 seals. My mechanic showed me the seals were warped and needed replacing. Leaks everywhere. My problem started after I had an oil change at Valvoline.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
335 posts, 122,000 views! on the can he opened. He is (was?) a jeep owner with an early build 2014 3.6 Pentastar engine. I, along with 1994 Sport, was kind of skeptical of his post (rant) as this was a new problem that none of us have never heard before. All these posts/views and 5 1/2 years later, we can all acknowledge the problem is real. If I only owned a jeep, I would not be on a minivan site either. He was just reaching out to other 3.6 owners at the infancy of this now well known problem.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It's interesting looking for this part on Amazon. There are bunches of different random named brands. Makes you wonder how many actually make the part. I guess it's recognized as high demand. But knowing what you get will be hard if you go off brand.

321 - 340 of 380 Posts