The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

341 - 360 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
For 2014, Chrysler made a change to a part called the "oil filter adapter" which sits on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. There are now a parade of people with various Chrysler vehicles that use the 3.6L reporting that the new part cracks, causing a major oil leak, potentially a fire, and can cause your engine to be drained of all oil.

If you have had an oil leak, and the dealership told you the issue was the oil filter adapter, the oil cooler or the oil cooler cover, post up here. We are going top try to get pressure on Chrysler to at least redesign the part.

Part number is 68105583AA and it applies only to 2014 3.6L Chrysler V6 engines, at least so far. Similar issues have been reported with the new 3.2L V6 used in the Cherokee, but it apparently has a different part number.
[/QUO
TE]
I have a 2014 GrandCaravan. I’m losing 1 quart of engine oil per week. Oil started leaking at 142,000 miles. The top of the transmission is cover with engine oil and so is my driveway. BAD, BAD Design Chrysler!!! Todd - Rosamond, CA

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have a 2014 GrandCaravan. I’m losing 1 quart of engine oil per week. Oil started leaking on Friday at 142,000 miles. The top of the transmission is cover with engine oil and so is my driveway. BAD, BAD Design Chrysler!!! Todd - Rosamond, CA
Well you made it to 6 years and 142,000 miles, a lot longer than most. I'm assuming your 2014 was built prior to 1/20/14?

·
Registered
886 Posts
  1. My oil cooler started leaking oil all over the place. Its been nice and dry since I replaced the seals last year. When the weather clears up a new one goes in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just experienced the oil cooler failure at 87000 miles, oil leaking pretty bad. Was able to drive to dealership (less than 2 miles from house). They looked at it same afternoon, technician was able to identify cause quickly, told me that it is a common failure and part was in stock so van was ready the following day. I have the mopar extended warranty so I only had to pay the 100$ deductible. No question asked regarding previous maintenance. They also performed the oil change for free, that was also due at this time. Dealership service person was awesome and I was surprised to get such a quick turn around. Van is a Dodge Grand caravan 2014, oil changes performed by me, dealership and independent garage.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Just experienced the oil cooler failure at 87000 miles, oil leaking pretty bad. Was able to drive to dealership (less than 2 miles from house). They looked at it same afternoon, technician was able to identify cause quickly, told me that it is a common failure and part was in stock so van was ready the following day. I have the mopar extended warranty so I only had to pay the 100$ deductible. No question asked regarding previous maintenance. They also performed the oil change for free, that was also due at this time. Dealership service person was awesome and I was surprised to get such a quick turn around. Van is a Dodge Grand caravan 2014, oil changes performed by me, dealership and independent garage.
They should have offered to change your spark plugs while intake manifold was off. 87,000 miles is a little early, but they're 6 years old, and they were right there, with minimal additional labor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For 2014, Chrysler made a change to a part called the "oil filter adapter" which sits on top of the engine, under the intake manifold. There are now a parade of people with various Chrysler vehicles that use the 3.6L reporting that the new part cracks, causing a major oil leak, potentially a fire, and can cause your engine to be drained of all oil.

If you have had an oil leak, and the dealership told you the issue was the oil filter adapter, the oil cooler or the oil cooler cover, post up here. We are going top try to get pressure on Chrysler to at least redesign the part.

Part number is 68105583AA and it applies only to 2014 3.6L Chrysler V6 engines, at least so far. Similar issues have been reported with the new 3.2L V6 used in the Cherokee, but it apparently has a different part number.
I have a 2014 town and country at 50,000 miles had a oil change and has leaked ever since it leaks about 5 quarts a week now is how bad its up to

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just noticed my 2013 T&C is starting to have seepage around that housing. It doesn't look anything like others and have been monitoring the dipstick and area. The oil does not seem to be enough to be leaking out the right side by the battery/tranny like most peoples. In honestly I would rather pay someone to fix this for but for the ones who did this repair themselves, how long did it take you and what special tools are needed? I watched this video it is quite extensive.

My TC just rolled 141k and this is the first I am seeing this oil filter housing issue. I guess I am lucky like @ToddShaw since we both made it further than others with the factory hosing?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I just noticed my 2013 T&C is starting to have seepage around that housing. It doesn't look anything like others and have been monitoring the dipstick and area. The oil does not seem to be enough to be leaking out the right side by the battery/tranny like most peoples. In honestly I would rather pay someone to fix this for but for the ones who did this repair themselves, how long did it take you and what special tools are needed? I watched this video it is quite extensive.

My TC just rolled 141k and this is the first I am seeing this oil filter housing issue. I guess I am lucky like @ToddShaw since we both made it further than others with the factory hosing?
Your 2013 does not have the new style housing that this topic is about (early 2014 builds) This is not to say yours isn't leaking. If you have this repair done, the latest housing is about $100 cheaper. Only problem with this is that when you get your oil changed in the future, the "2013" oil filter would be the wrong one, it will require a 2014 and up oil filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your 2013 does not have the new style housing that this topic is about (early 2014 builds) This is not to say yours isn't leaking. If you have this repair done, the latest housing is about $100 cheaper. Only problem with this is that when you get your oil changed in the future, the "2013" oil filter would be the wrong one, it will require a 2014 and up oil filter.
Did Chrysler modify the adapter housing on the 2011-2013 model? Is there an advantage of going to the 2014 model adapter housing other than a larger filter?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
price is the advantage, just have to be sure that oil changers know it's no longer a 2013

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The build date on our '14 is Oct 8, 2013. No leaks with the adapter to report at around 130k miles.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Take your sensors off your old one before swapping! That video didn't mention it, but the coolant temp sensor has a different connector on the newer version.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The build date on our '14 is Oct 8, 2013. No leaks with the adapter to report at around 130k miles.
My 2014 build date is also 10/13. I am the only one who does the oil changes (just 6 so far) and I only screw cap on until it makes contact. What is alarming is how much force is required to remove the non tightened cap the next time filter is replaced

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This is great! The 2014 model is for sure the way to go when replacing. Thanks for sharing this.
All of this guy's "Motor City Mechanic" videos are great. This one just glossed over the differences between the 2 styles. There is a more detailed one on how to actually replace it

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'll admit, while I don't go ham on it, I do get the cap good and snug.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,003 Posts
My 2014 build date is also 10/13. I am the only one who does the oil changes (just 6 so far) and I only screw cap on until it makes contact. What is alarming is how much force is required to remove the non tightened cap the next time filter is replaced
Always oil the cap threads before attaching it.

I'll admit, while I don't go ham on it, I do get the cap good and snug.
Not necessarily. This cap doesn't have a gasket, just an O-Ring. O-Rings doesn't need to be tightened, as a matter of fact, you can tighten all you want, this O-Ring will not compress at all.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
you can tighten all you want
Well maybe I will.

But seriously, do we know how well the filter seals at the ends if the cap isn't snug? I don't have a full picture of the mating surfaces and how the bypass valve works.

341 - 360 of 380 Posts